Audio in 2015 - a summary of trends

Kvalsvoll

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New articles:

----

I choose to remove the links to those articles, as they are somewhat out of context in this thread.

They are also part of presentation material for a professional company, which I think is borderline to present like this in this forum, regardless of how interesting the content in itself may be.

The articles can easily be found on the company web site, for those who are interested.

• 1 month later...

As we now write 2016, this thread has become obsolete, it is time to round off with some last thoughts on audio in general.

The audio press continues to present reviews with glorious descriptions of sonic differences in DACs, amplifiers and such, differences that can easily be proved to be non-existent with todays performance in signal processing.

At the same time, they fail to address REAL differences, like the problem of clipping the subwoofer/LFE signal in a bass managed system, a problem that has been addressed here on data-bass.

A review would also actually be valuable if some basic measurements were provided, measurements that can easily be done with modest equipment, but, of course, some technical expertise is necessary to know what and how to measure.

A positive observation is that sound quality in movies is perhaps improving - less loud, less clipping, overall better sound and better surround presentation with the new Atmos/DTS:X focus.

Still, the low bass performance is a hit and miss, so for the time being, Bass-EQ is here to stay.

At least if you have a full-frequency range system with capacity and low bass quality that really manages to present the scale and dimension of true low frequencies with realism.

I like data-bass.

A small forum/site for enthusiasts, with knowledgeable and curious people.

Where fact trumps the usual voodoo and marketing babble.

I watched with horror as one new member was welcomed and despite given friendly advise chose to destroy and create a bad atmosphere, it shows how vulnerable an open community like this is.

I have observed other sites, like AVS, become more and more commercially oriented, which unfortunately becomes a necessity when you have bills and payrolls to pay.

I will not say they have succeeded well with keeping a good balance, as what is presented in the news section and reviews has little interest for true enthusiasts; the reviews tend to look very much the same, everything sounds good, and speakers with 6.5" bass drivers "have all the dynamics you will ever need".

In the forum sections many of the knowledgeable enthusiasts have left the scene, and much of the same questions and misconceptions pops up repeatedly in a periodic pattern, like "You only need one subwoofer".

In Norway we are so fortunate to have a local hifi-site that is quite good, but this is focused on 2-channel and the audience is somewhat limited with the otherwise excellent norwegian language.

I hope data-bass continues to grow in a positive direction, and remain an independent enthusiast forum/site.

Archived