UM12 vs Titanic MK4 12" vs DVC385 comparison on audio-xpress

Hifisound

Just thought of sharing these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/audio-xpress-dayton-subwoofer-review-april-2015-part-1.pdf

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/audio-xpress-dayton-subwoofer-review-april-2015-part-2.pdf

I wonder how/when would just 2" voice coil of dvc385s be a problem.

At very high SPL ? (Else otherwise, DVC385 has a very nice sensitivity)

Apart from the 2" coil question , I had one more doubt related to the distortion measurements :

In the article they have been done at 100dB at 1m.

Now due to difference in roll off of FR between UM12 and DVC385, UM12 would have higher output (between 20-40Hz)
And if one EQes DVC385 to have same output as um12 below 40Hz, its otherwise low THD would rise non linearly, isn't it ?

Only then can find out which of the two has a lower THD, right ? Unless one is not going to EQ or boost the SPL below 40Hz...

Apart from the 2" coil question , I had one more doubt related to the distortion measurements :

In the article they have been done at 100dB at 1m.

Now due to difference in roll off of FR between UM12 and DVC385, UM12 would have higher output (between 20-40Hz)

And if one EQes DVC385 to have same output as um12 below 40Hz, its otherwise low THD would rise non linearly, isn't it ?

Only then can find out which of the two has a lower THD, right ? Unless one is not going to EQ or boost the SPL below 40Hz...

I'll just say that the subject is quite complicated.  A single distortion measurement with 100dB at 1m doesn't tell you much at all.  Ricci's distortion measurements (on data-bass.com) are a lot more helpful because they reveal how distortion changes as the woofer approaches its limits.  The trouble is that distortion depends on more than just the woofer.  It depends on the enclosure too, and as Bosso Dave has pointed out, amps can do weird things down low.  Each sub design needs to be tested independently to provide a reliable basis of comparison.

I'll just say that the subject is quite complicated.  A single distortion measurement with 100dB at 1m doesn't tell you much at all.  Ricci's distortion measurements (on data-bass.com) are a lot more helpful because they reveal how distortion changes as the woofer approaches its limits.  The trouble is that distortion depends on more than just the woofer.  It depends on the enclosure too, and as Bosso Dave has pointed out, amps can do weird things down low.  Each sub design needs to be tested independently to provide a reliable basis of comparison.

My question was more about "FR matching" requirement before comparing distortion levels of different drivers...

• 4 weeks later...

Btw, isn't the THD measurement of DVC385 in the link almost like the THD measurement of UM18 / RSS460HO ?

Its actually lower for DVC385, but its at 100dB, whereas the lowest lines for UM18/RSS460HO are at 105dB, so I assume both should be similar at 105 dB..

Isn't that surprising ?

Archived