Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

I didn't take them directed at me at all. Thanks though. I think at this point if I wasn't thinking big picture, I'd just keep all my design work to myself. There was a time when I did it out of the goodness of my heart, but that time has passed. Sounds depressing haha. Now I do it to build credibility and now the odd "royalties" check. But mostly for the cred. There's so many guys buying CNCs and selling speakers ID now that I'm not about to do that. I could, but I'd just be another option against a flooded market of ID black speaker boxes. I am located in Canada which puts me in an interesting market. I'm not sure there is a ID speaker company like that here. So I would be a unique option for Canadian buyers. But life isn't right for that right now. Financially yes, but not my other family and life commitments.

It's a dream, literally written in my high school grad book. I'll get there one day I hope :)

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love hearing upgrade path stories. B)

With sealed systems, I felt completely on my own. Posting about the subject was like taping a "kick me" sign on my back.

I probably would have kept the ported stuff and tuned lower if I had not met Phil Marchand and Dan Wiggins at CES near the turn of the century. The infinitely variable L/T, aka Bassis, made it possible to switch drivers and box volumes very quickly and experiment with infinite combinations of F3 and Qtc, on-the-fly. Wiggins made the drivers with the displacement required in a 15" frame for a smallish box.

Add the dual opposed advantage, which came to me simply as an easy way to load 2 drivers into a cylinder with identical baffles, and then ice the cake with measurement hardware and software that's flat to <5 Hz and BAM! No other alignment is capable of same response... period.

The toughest search was that of a capable amplifier because, and Paul's tests continue to reveal this, <10 Hz you enter the netherworld and different amplifier classes behave differently in that realm and very differently from behavior >20 Hz.

This is a great spot in the stream of time relating to the art; great drivers, great boxes, great assembly, stacking and mounting hardware and great amplification is all readily available and reasonably priced.

The latest quest has been for an amplifier to mate well with a single module Raptor and Blackbird. Obviously, at 4 ohms nominal, the A-14K is a potentially disastrous mismatch in the wrong hands, adding excess to the total cost as well.

This amp is around 5KW burst and should work very well with both 2 x 15" systems, if all tests result in a passing grade. :)

EDIT: Sorry for being vague. I've got several tasks at hand and haven't offered much details re: the amp for a single 2 x 15" module.

There are 6 models that are candidates for tests. Paul has set up a methodology using several input signals, including actual soundtrack source. 2RU max size, light weight, Class D, DSP option, frequency response roll off, 4 ohms bridged stability, measured real source burst capability and worse case scenario real soundtrack source behavior.

Lots of work and cash layout on top of the other things I have to get done this month.

I'll have more details when I write the Raptor-SI version review.

You should.

You better. :mellow:

But yeah, eww. Hate odd number subs. Go with six extra and have fourteen like me. :D

But Scott.. you can't have 14.  It's either gotta be 8, 16, 32, 64, etc.   :D   Oops, I've got 9... no good.  

I have to say DIYSG made my day last year, and providing the weekend warrior DIY crowd with very high-performance loudpeakers is a good thing, IMO.  I could not have made 8x15" sealed subs in the time I cranked out the flatpacks for my current system.  Bwaslo's Big Malcolm crossover really was terrific as well, and fit my needs perfectly.  I have to say though, while I appreciate the CD+woofer LCRS, and they sound more like a well-tuned cinema, I still have a soft spot for the old line arrays, and if I move at some point, I may start over and do an all-line array LCRS, with an SBA/DBA for LF support.  The problem will be getting a signal chain with low rolloff.

JSS

I have to say DIYSG made my day last year, and providing the weekend warrior DIY crowd with very high-performance loudpeakers is a good thing, IMO.  I could not have made 8x15" sealed subs in the time I cranked out the flatpacks for my current system.  Bwaslo's Big Malcolm crossover really was terrific as well, and fit my needs perfectly.  I have to say though, while I appreciate the CD+woofer LCRS, and they sound more like a well-tuned cinema, I still have a soft spot for the old line arrays, and if I move at some point, I may start over and do an all-line array LCRS, with an SBA/DBA for LF support.  The problem will be getting a signal chain with low rolloff.

JSS

That's what's up man. I listen to my ls-6's daily as they are in my den off the kitchen and they are basically playing music from the time I get home to the time I go to bed. LOVE them! 

On another note, where does one go to download speclabs? It is time to have a perma-mic setup for all of my faves!!!!

Dave, I've been waiting for you to build that amp.   :)  Sign me up.  I'll happily be your first customer.  I realize it won't be used with a Raptor system, but it's a Raptor-inspired system, with former Raptor drivers!   ;)

Still an even number. You've got some work to do, Sheldon. Thankfully all you need is one more for it to not sound odd. Might as well get three, just to be sure.

That riser of yours could make a nice sub. :D

I saw pics today that you posted awhile back of the drivers that will be under your seat.  Beautiful.  If my main LP were on the riser I'd be doing what you are doing for sure - in that post you said something about the tactile feel almost being too much.

That's when you know it's perfect.   B)   

Dave, I've been waiting for you to build that amp.   :)  Sign me up.  I'll happily be your first customer.  I realize it won't be used with a Raptor system, but it's a Raptor-inspired system, with former Raptor drivers!   ;)

I sent Dave an email last week concerning that very thing. Need a 4ch though. Oops I forgot, Bosso's not a spring chicken anymore. I'll wait another week then try telegraph or smoke signals if that doesn't work.  :P

EXQUISUTE. I'd love to see a set of those in a room or two at the Venetian come January. I guarantee there'd be some buzz followed by tons of questions, a bunch of money changing hands and a few Sheiks expecting several units to be onboard for the flight back. Problem is you'd upstage a few Manu's. 

Dave:

Being a perfectionist at heart, I'm still highly impressed by the huge WAF those subs exhibit.  Your whole room impressed me and instills motivation for my smaller version of it in my house. Thanks for the hard work you put in to your products. When asked for referrals to subwoofers, yours are going to be the first product I mention. Love the pic, thanks for posting it up for us.  I think you may be on to a new profit center with the air purifier thing.  Just install a nice turbo fan in the top and draw air from the bottom, passing through 3-4 carbon filters on the way up.

First peek at the Raptor-SI (because I'm itchy):

wIO8Hl4.png

Yeah, man... I believe I NAILED that air purifier look. :rolleyes:;)

How in the hell did you get that glass and trim ring machined so quickly???? You have connects that I would love to have here in A-Town..... Mad impressive. On another note, I just discovered 2 part epoxy for finishing speakers. I am in love... If you are ever looking for a gloss finish I will be happy to tell you my tragic journey that just turned into an epic ending point, haha! Pics to come, but gotta wait for the finished product :D I'm only testing on some old surround boxes but the re-do is incredible so far! 

Archived