Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is not enough LCRS to handle that.

JSS

The LCRS is fine @ reference and we won't be exceeding that level where those are concerned. Even at that, Paul will probably be wearing ear plugs. The subs are only about exceeding reference level, as a single Raptor System III will handle reference with headroom.

Excess. It's a GTG thing. :lol::P

Yeah, those look beautiful! Headroom, was you have enough more is just wasting money. If one can play 10 dB over reference with 8 drivers cleanly then 24 will get you more clean playback because I doubt anyone can seriously listen that loud without damaging their hearing. Maybe in an IMAX theater but not at home. I know, I have become a wuss but this is based on my room. I forget others have much bigger rooms and need much more displacement. Around 130 dB in my room causes lots of pressure and plugs your ears easily. I try to keep it right at a level that does not happen.

Just played the fireworks scene from OZ. With the subs @ +10dB hot, clocked 129.1dB peak, unweighted.

Last night, we played the scene in Captain America TWS where the heli-carriers are launched. One of the storage doors blew out of the opening. That's never happened before since the HT remodel, part of which was a rebuild to heavier doors. The scene was being SL capped so no idea of the peak dBSPL, but it was way above reference. I believe it was +15dB hot. Dunno how people can stand that playback level... really. :blink:

A buck thirty peaks would be quite easily done with this system but remember that that's flat to 3 Hz in-room and it's actually a bit frightening. Selection of a curve with less extension is called for with peaks in excess of 130dB because single digits at that level can break shit. Even filtered, 130+dB peaks are just stupid loud. My ears are ringing right now after only a few short scenes from OZ. The tornado scene clocked a 127.6dB peak.

That's it, I'm ready to roll. Bring on the guests. :)

I believe it was +15dB hot. Dunno how people can stand that playback level... really. :blink:

A buck thirty peaks would be quite easily done with this system but remember that that's flat to 3 Hz in-room and it's actually a bit frightening. Selection of a curve with less extension is called for with peaks in excess of 130dB because single digits at that level can break shit. Even filtered, 130+dB peaks are just stupid loud. My ears are ringing right now after only a few short scenes from OZ. The tornado scene clocked a 127.6dB peak.

Is it the 130 dB bass peaks getting to your ears?  Or is it the content at 80-100 Hz that's boosted by almost as by almost as much?  My experience is that the threshold of hearing discomfort when boosting levels is a lot lower for higher frequency content.  Of course, your house may have a different opinion.

Is it the 130 dB bass peaks getting to your ears? Or is it the content at 80-100 Hz that's boosted by almost as by almost as much? My experience is that the threshold of hearing discomfort when boosting levels is a lot lower for higher frequency content. Of course, your house may have a different opinion.

130db at 20hz = awesome

130db at 40hz = ouch

A door blew off the hinges?!?  WTH.....need pics.

JSS

It's not on hinges. It's made of MDF with hardwood trim. The doors are in the knee walls for access to storage. There are 4 of them. We bought the house new 25 years ago and the builder made the doors out of pine 1" x 4" with 1/4" plywood skin. As the subwoofer evolution progressed, the doors in the front corners would often blow open because the subs were in those corners right next to the doors.

During the HT remodel, I built new doors of MDF with hardwood trim and laminated the exteriors with faux fur. Each door has a pair of opposing neo-magnets in each corner and a friction latch in the center. This door is to the left of the seating, between the 2 dormers. It has never blown open before, and none of the doors have blown open since the remodel.

Here's the door, out of the opening, installed in the opening, blown out onto the floor by the heli-carriers and braced shut afterward with a heavy-duty tripod/blanket:

bfd1d316c6daa7383e7523506e803279.png

Wish I could make this...If it was a week later I probably could have. Have fun y'all.

Man, I really wished you'd seen this thread and popped in to announce the opposite... that you were on your way down to Charlotte, NC. :(

First off.. good god, cannot wait for the results!  I have off tomorrow so I'll basically just be hitting refresh all day.

Question for you, Dave.  I know you said the Raptor System III that's in the back of the room is your own.  From the photo's, I only see one stack that has the wood front face plate and all the others have the leather front plates (which looks sick).  Is there another stack tucked away somewhere? 

I look forward to hearing everyone's impressions!  Also, I'm interested in what LCR and surrounds you're running, and what you're using to power them if you don't mind sharing. :)

If I didn't live many states away and have a job with evening hours, I'd love to be there.

Nice woofers.  Soon, I hope to have a quartet of the HST-18" woofers sitting in my living room.  I've been quietly plotting it for a while now.  It's just a matter of time for me to work through a bunch of other business.  Soon.

First off.. good god, cannot wait for the results!  I have off tomorrow so I'll basically just be hitting refresh all day.

Question for you, Dave.  I know you said the Raptor System III that's in the back of the room is your own.  From the photo's, I only see one stack that has the wood front face plate and all the others have the leather front plates (which looks sick).  Is there another stack tucked away somewhere? 

I look forward to hearing everyone's impressions!  Also, I'm interested in what LCR and surrounds you're running, and what you're using to power them if you don't mind sharing. :)

As has always been the case, my personal systems have been a hodgepodge of prototypes. :P

The left stack has the sapele mahogany front panels which we discontinued because of silly whining about sustainability. Didn't want anyone throwing blood on me without giving me the time to explain that I used only scrap pieces from a furniture factory, etc...

It also has the first BHT-15 prototype drivers. The right stack has the first black leather front panel and the 2nd (or 3rd, I forget) prototype BHT-15 drivers. The left stack drivers were dual 2 ohm making the stack 4 ohms, nominal. The right stack were the first dual 4 ohm VCs making the stack a nominal 8 ohms. The system requires 2 amplifiers to drive because combined they are <3 ohms, nominal.

When Larry (laughsbach) was here, I had a prototype Blackbird stack in the right corner and the mahogany front prototype Raptor stack in the left and the system wasn't tweaked because we are always changing and testing systems before they get the thumbs up or the axe. :D

The rest of the stacks in the pic are current Raptor System III with the latest front panel, micro-metal logos and BHT-15 drivers, as are the A-14K amplifiers, except the fans have not been modded yet in our haste to get ready for the GTG. The SEQSS is also a prototype, but is the signal shaper I'll always use because it's the first generation and what makes the whole system what it is in the final analysis.

IOW, my systems have always been whatever is left when the dust settles. :P

Hope this helps...

Two HST-15" D1's completed:

WP_20150608_001.jpg

Sitting in my media room the night before bringing them down to Bosso's house:

IMAG00279.jpg

Over 4" of p-p awesomeness is about to happen. :) Where are DIY Speaker Guy and others to call me a liar? They can only move 1" p-p.  :rolleyes:

NICE!!

No doubters here, young man. Those surrounds may require me to switch out the legs to a longer dimension. We'll see when you get here. I always :o :o :o  when I see them. B)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Dave.  Very cool stuff.  I'm a function over style guy myself... so I don't really care what it looks like, as long as it performs!  I'd certainly have no problems squeezing in a mix-matched System III in my room! :P  

Have fun today, Gents!  Really look forward to all the photo's and scene caps.  Oh.. uh.. yeah.  I thought the exact same thing when I saw Nick's 15's he's bringing.  There's a good chance those surrounds are gonna touch... at idle. B)  

Archived