The Admiral: Roaring Currents - Discussion & Poll - CLOSED

nube

The Admiral: Roaring Currents  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

The Admiral: Roaring Currents (Korean 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.98dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.97dB)

Execution - 5 Stars

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent

Notes:  Although probably only Bosso can reproduce this thing's deepest content, be careful because the hottest moments are all below 5Hz.  Not a dynamic mix, because of so much constant content, but it's the definition of full-bandwidth.

PvA:

post-17-0-51948000-1433104124.png

So, a bit more about this movie.  

It is the super cheesy, epic Asian high fantasy/historical legend style that is both reminiscent of Japanese video games and recent Chinese blockbusters.  It's almost nonstop melodrama and action, which might rub some the wrong way, while others will love it.

But, I'll be damned if it doesn't deliver the goods for bass almost 100% of the time.  Every action sequence is filled to the gills with hard-hitting, full bandwidth effects, and they're used expertly. This has the most deep content of any movie I've seen in a long, long time, and the movie's not terrible, either.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe more people haven't seen this one.  It's definitely my bass movie of the year so far, and it's not even close.  This is what Master & Commander (DTS-ES) should have been, although I will say that the first salvo in M&C might have better sound design, but just the first salvo.

• 1 month later...

Has nothing to do with anything here, but I really have to suggest that everybody see Kung Pow enter the fist!  I laughed for days with this one. Talk about cheesy asian films. This one was taken from an asian film that was never completed. They incorporated a film into the movie with voice dubs and characters. By all means anyone that likes this stuff has got to see it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240468/

--

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm late to the party on this one, but DAMN! Watched this last night and I have not taken a pounding like that in a while! That last ~hour is just absolutely insane for LFE/audio! LFE fest for sure!

I voted 5 and rent, but I am planning on trying to find a cheap used copy at some point.

Archived