Extreme SPL bracing

chrapladm

OK I will be building an Othorn TH and remember Ricci stating that these need to be braced well. So in saying that is the bracing scheme that others have done adequate for reducing panel movement to a minimum?

I also in my quest for gathering my own personal data and experience have designed a FLH that I will be building also. It will not be the same size as the Othorn and I am not going to do a A/B comparison. I hate seeing THT comparisons like I have seen in so many threads. I wont really compare the two unless it is for comparison for those that have Othorns. And I have always LOVED the THT when I first build mine. Hate to see any design that someone takes the time to design and build get so much negativity.

My design will be a Hybrid design also. I am planning on using the 21IPAL but until I purchase that woofer I will use the 21SW152. In my design the IPAL can do about 140db at 35hz. So that being said I am worried that maybe I need to do 3 rows of bracing instead of 2 rows.

I dont have CAD software to do a test analysis on the cabinet design. I am still doing the fold which is the easy part. I just dont know specifics when dealing with a cabinet that can produce 140db at Xmax.(IPAL)

This design I am doing is  something that derived from a FLH thread I started on DIYaudio forum. I dont want to start a thread on my design for fear of off topic arguments. I dont feel that will happen here but I dont know. So I will wait until i have this design built to report back how I went.

LTD has been a huge help also on my design. And funny that after being so clueless on some of the input meanings on HR I am now understanding what all of these mean. AND that makes folding so much easier also.

So as I stated I am mainly worried about bracing for a cabinet that hits 140db's. I know Ricci has experience in this so I started the thread. And I would ask Ivan but this is easier.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

As far as the Othorn use the bracing in the v2 plans...It is very well braced. Probably overly so. Look at some of the bracing in the other quick designed DIY horns...THAT is not going to work. The large side panels are heavily braced by all of the folds. The width of the cab will be large usually so that is the axis that needs bracing. Center of the panel can work well for an 18-24" width path. If going wider than that or you are just worried about it use 2 spaced sets. You really shouldn't need more unless the panels are 30"+ in width. Do not use a couple of tiny dowels on a panel that is 30"x22", deep in a horn and think it is going to be fine. It will flap in the breeze once things get going. Use a large and substantial piece of wood that locks a large area of the 2 panels together.

Make sure you screw the panels together, pocket screws are great and use large amounts of PL premium or similar on every joint and seam. Follow suit for any other horns.

John showed me that rough simulation a while back. Looked big &  loud. Watch that air velocity though. Also do not forget that the 21 has a dcr of 0.7 ohms. Not just any amplifier is going to supply the current that baby needs.

Thanks Ricci,

I looked at his design and just kept tweaking it until I came up with something I was comfortable with. And I will be using the 21IPAL later down the road. I have a SW152 now so I will be using that. I looked at making the dsign useable for both drivers. I wanted to be able to use the 18IPAL also but will just have to make another design for that one.

V2 bracing is more than adequate is good to know. I knew you had experience in these types of crazy builds so I was hoping you would comment. After chatting with Walt and many others I have always screwed and glued in every panel now. My last MW build was no different. PL, screws and two rows of bracing. No skimping. My cabinet will be 22.5" wide internally.

I also didnt like velocity speeds in that original design John showed me. So you obviously know this design also Ricci. :) I didnt think it was anything knew but looked like something I could do and build. Port speeds are only 34m/s roughly with the SW152 after my tweaks. With the 21IPAL they are much higher. BUT the original design I am sure has MUCH higher speeds.(120m/s+) So I just made a port that has a 145hz 1st port resonance roughly and big enough that I feel can move enough air to avoid MOST chuffing and compression. BUT I will learn how my guestimating works out after I build it.

And yes I was planning on using a SP12000 when I buy the IPAL. I will be buying a QSC DPA or PLD amps also. I thought about just using them in bridged 4ohm and figured they will be just fine. They dont have the power of a SP12 but are cheaper. Will have to decide on that down the road also. I also am not a fan of series wiring. I usually just use parallel in all my wiring. BUT I was only looking at capable amps from QSC and Crown as alternative options. With the DCR of the IPAL I wasnt going to skimp out on the amp. And 9001's arent going to work. :D

.73ohm at port tune is no joke.

On a side note I was planning on getting a A14k from Bosso down the road also. I know it will play 2ohm just fine but not sure about the dips below 1ohm. So I was going to assume I will use a different amp for that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived