What should we be testing next? How should we be testing it?

Ricci

I am going to start using my roughly 3.2 cube sealed cab for 15's. I like to use the smaller cabs because everything seems to be trending towards smaller. These are the cabs I would go for. Why use a 15" in a 5 cube cab when I could get 2 12's or an 18 in there?

Basically I use a sealed standardized cab for each woofer because that is the easiest test and the closest comparison of how the drivers themselves behave. When I identify a woofer that is good enough to be a default at a certain size then I will test it in the bass reflex cabs. You can compare how the performance changes compared with the sealed and then compare the sealed test of that woofer with the other drivers to get an idea of how they would perform in the bass reflex cabs. It simply takes far too much time to test every woofer in multiple enclosures.

Scott I doubt I will test the 2226J I have sealed. I already know it won't do very well. It won't have much output below 50Hz. And will roll off starting really high in frequency. It's a great woofer but definitely no subwoofer.

Why use a 15" in a 5 cube cab when I could get 2 12's or an 18 in there?

What's the theory behind this? Is it the more motor force per surface area the better? The more voice coils the better? Are we trying to achieve greater power handling? Or are you simply saying that those configurations have more cone area?

Maybe one reason to use larger drivers is that they tend to have greater excursion capabilities.

I have an old 15" JBL car subwoofer (Qts 0.393, Fs 24Hz, Vas 319L) that sounds really good in a 5 cu ft ported enclosure but in a 4 cu ft ported enclosure, it sounds noticably worse in my opinion.

Archived