DO HST-11 Build Thread with measurements

Electrodynamic

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now just one comparisson screen shot of before and after of Star Trek where Spock says "get him off this ship" and then the pod gets launched out the side of the ship. Two different SpecLab color schemes and the newest one is at much lower volume but you can still see the broader bandwidth of the new EQ setup. 

Before:

DOHST11-StarTrek-GetHimOffThisShip1.jpg

And now:

StarTrek_GetHimOffThisShip1.jpg

I'll take more caps tonight after my 3 year old son falls asleep. IF he ever falls asleep (woke up at 6:30, no nap, played like crazy all day and is still wide awake).  :rolleyes:

I managed to plop in Batman Begins and take a few screen caps with the volume at a moderate level. You'll see tonights screen cap is not as hot but you can see the bandwidth increase in both directions. I am VERY pleased with the results. It's nice to see the entire bandwidth light up now both on the top end and the very bottom end. 

Batman's first fight. Before:

BatmanBeginsBatmanFirstFight_web.jpg

And now:

BatmanBeginsBatmanFirstFight_12_5_2015_w

Gravity Intro:

Before:

DOHST11-Gravity-Intro1.jpg

And now:

GravityIntro_12_5_2015.jpg

Gravity: 

News From Houston before:

DOHST11-Gravity-NewsFromHouston1.jpg

And now:

GravityNewsFromHouston_12_5_2015.jpg

Gravity: Space ship hit:

Before:

DOHST11-Gravity-SpacehipHit1.jpg

And now:

GravitySpaceShipHit_12_5_2015.jpg

So was there an air leak at the surround and you applied more epoxy on the surrounds very edge yes?

Just making sure I am understanding this correctly. I cant tell from the picture but are your screws still accessible?

Yes, but that's only a small part of the change. The major change was the EQ that Paul (Shredhead) guided me through. Instead of 7 bands of EQ I am now only using 3 bands of EQ. But yes the epoxy was applied to the left driver to seal it up because it had a substantial air leak from the surround being twisted during my idiotic rubber-backed washer/screw installation. 

*edit* I missed your last question. The screws are not visible anymore. I'll have to take a screw driver and a hammer to the epoxy over the screws if I ever want to pluck that driver. The epoxy I use at work is some very serious stuff. Expensive but it works REALLY well. :D

Three new screen caps from John Wick during the club scene:

Starting off downstairs in the pool area:

JohnWickClubSceneDownstairsPool_12_5_201

Upstairs 1:

JohnWickClubSceneUpstairs1_12_5_2015.jpg

Upstairs 2:

JohnWickClubSceneUpstairs2_12_5_2015.jpg

Upstairs 3:

JohnWickClubSceneUpstairs3_12_5_20151.jp

I need to include the forum as to why I am posting these changes. I called Paul and told him I wanted to add a DO HST-15 cabinet in the back right corner of my room and he aske me why. I told him because gun shots and the upper end overall were missing so I thought I needed more surface area...and here I am reading the same thing that I teach, haha. BANDWIDTH is the reason for impact, not surface area! So Paul told me to start from scratch and he would help me EQ my system flat with minimal bands. After about an hour of troubleshooting, settings, etc, we texted back and forth and you see the results above. 

Lesson? Instead of adding drivers to achieve your desired impact simply EQ it properly and you will reach your goal. ...unless you just want more SPL overall. In my tiny room the DO HST-11's get me in trouble with my neighbors so anything more would probably get me evoked from the neighborhood, haha. 

I took another screen capture just now because I noticed the small area with reduced output centered right at 70 Hz from the screen captures taken last night. Last night the mic was placed on a firm pillow at elbow height about 2' off the far right wall and about 1.5' from the back wall. Tonight I put the mic in my listening postion where my head is when I watch a movie. Pretty neat to see the findings but the small area moved up in frequency and is not as wide:

JohnWickClubSceneUpstairs2_12_6_2015.jpg

Was it EQ or an LT added, or both? 

See my walk-through one page back. It explains everything: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/398-do-hst-11-build-thread-with-measurements/?p=11060 

SME, I was worried that boosting the top end might make it sound "honky" but it didn't do that at all. Before hand while watching John Wick the gun shots were very deep but lacked impact. I mean you felt the lower frequencies of the gun shots but it lacked the "snap" that a gun shot has. Now the gun shots not only sound deep but they have the snap and percussive hit I was missing before. And honestly my system sounded just like it measured - lots of the very deep stuff but missing output and percussiveness that comes from filling in the 60 Hz to 100 Hz area. Overall the sound is much better and most importantly gun shots during movies (I know the gun shots in John Wick are augmented but still) are more percussive and more realistic sounding. I know I can punish these HST-11's and they absolutely eat up a single inuke 6k so I am looking forward to getting a dedicated 30 amp line ran into the room to feed the LG clone that I'll be getting back soon and really putting them through their paces. I can't wait to get them moving over 4" of cone travel! :D

SME, I was worried that boosting the top end might make it sound "honky" but it didn't do that at all. Before hand while watching John Wick the gun shots were very deep but lacked impact. I mean you felt the lower frequencies of the gun shots but it lacked the "snap" that a gun shot has. Now the gun shots not only sound deep but they have the snap and percussive hit I was missing before. And honestly my system sounded just like it measured - lots of the very deep stuff but missing output and percussiveness that comes from filling in the 60 Hz to 100 Hz area. Overall the sound is much better and most importantly gun shots during movies (I know the gun shots in John Wick are augmented but still) are more percussive and more realistic sounding. I know I can punish these HST-11's and they absolutely eat up a single inuke 6k so I am looking forward to getting a dedicated 30 amp line ran into the room to feed the LG clone that I'll be getting back soon and really putting them through their paces. I can't wait to get them moving over 4" of cone travel! :D

I'm very pleased to hear of your positive results!  Yes, I think we often take for granted how important smooth response is from the bottom all the way up.  Sadly, I suspect very few people have experienced this level of bass quality, either in a commercial venue or in a home.  Your response < 100 Hz looks pretty good, even considering it is 1/6th octave smoothed.  I believe a +/- 3 dB deviation from the desired target curve with 1/6th octave smoothing may be considered to be a very good response to see in-room.  It doesn't tell the whole story, of course, but it definitely goes a long way.

I'm very pleased to hear of your positive results!  Yes, I think we often take for granted how important smooth response is from the bottom all the way up.  Sadly, I suspect very few people have experienced this level of bass quality, either in a commercial venue or in a home.  Your response < 100 Hz looks pretty good, even considering it is 1/6th octave smoothed.  I believe a +/- 3 dB deviation from the desired target curve with 1/6th octave smoothing may be considered to be a very good response to see in-room.  It doesn't tell the whole story, of course, but it definitely goes a long way.

Sorry SME, but you'll have to settle for the default resolution of the OmniMic for now. I keep forgetting to set the resolution to infinity for those wanting to nit-pick without their own comparisson charts to show otherwise.  :P I'm not going to add thirty bands of EQ to the sub stage just to see zero deviation from 100 Hz on down with ultimate resolution selected on the OmniMic. I can't hear that finite so I'm not going to make my response plot look that way. 

But I will tell you this: You are more than welcome to bring your measurement sofware to my house and take measurements. I chose this subwoofer system based on room size while being able to move around the room. I used a single BM mkIV to place around the room to find the best placement and I decided on the DO HST-11 based on that. I live in a small community with small houses grouped close to each other and when I get the 30 amp run into my theater room with the LG clone amp powering the pair of HST-11's I'm pretty sure I'll get kicked out of the neighborhood.  :P

My little room does pretty well and I am happy with the measurements and output of the system. Until I'm making buku dollars and can afford a larger house my little room is pretty good.  B)

Err, I didn't exactly ask you to post higher resolution measurements, even though I've stated a preference for more resolution in other posts.  No worries!  I really meant that your setup looks very good with the data you've posted.  With your 1/6th octave results looking so good, the 1/24th and higher resolution results probably look quite good as well.  Congrats, and I hope you don't get kicked out of your neighborhood for having too much fun.  ;)

Err, I didn't exactly ask you to post higher resolution measurements, even though I've stated a preference for more resolution in other posts.  No worries!  I really meant that your setup looks very good with the data you've posted.  With your 1/6th octave results looking so good, the 1/24th and higher resolution results probably look quite good as well.  Congrats, and I hope you don't get kicked out of your neighborhood for having too much fun.  ;)

SME, I didn't mean anything negative by my post only to clear up that I did not select the correct signal resolution but, seriously, if you wanted to come over to my place and take more in-depth resolution measurements you are more than welcome to. :D 

Honestly I keep forgetting to select the option before I take measurements as the 1/6'th octave measurement is enough to get me in the ball-park to begin with. 

Oh really? I thought I couldn't because it needed it's own calibration. Figured the calibration number would not be applicable to REW software.

Btw, I have the gen1 Omnimic so IDK if that would work with REW.

Actually.... I swear I just tried this a couple months ago and got nada. I'll check again this weekend.

SME, I didn't mean anything negative by my post only to clear up that I did not select the correct signal resolution but, seriously, if you wanted to come over to my place and take more in-depth resolution measurements you are more than welcome to. :D

Honestly I keep forgetting to select the option before I take measurements as the 1/6'th octave measurement is enough to get me in the ball-park to begin with. 

It sounds like a lot of fun.  If you lived closed by to me, I'd seriously take you up on the offer.  Maybe some day I'll have to take some time to do the "east coast circuit".

Archived