11 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.91dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Comparing to the second one (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug), this looks like it gained considerable extension at the expense of a little level and dynamics.  I haven't watched it yet (not a fan of these Hobbit movies at all), but when looking at the Speclab PvA, it sure looks to have some content from 10-20Hz, just severely rolled off.

PvA:

post-17-0-95254200-1427256080.png

I've only seen this in the theater.  It was a very nice super-size Atmos theater with better bass capability than most.  I know from seeing "Ender's Game" there that the theater is very capable down into the 20s.  Anyway, I thought I heard quite a bit of stuff < 30 Hz, but I kind of second guessed myself, given the trends in the other movies.  This data confirms that I did hear a good bit of bass < 30 Hz.  There's one particular scene that I shouldn't mention due to spoilers that made me immediately think of the rock giants in the first "Hobbit", and how completely lame they sounded as compared to what I was hearing.  I thought this one had the best sound by far.  I do look forward to hearing it on my home system but will wait for the Extended Version as is my tradition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, this is one of those movies where others talk up the sound and I just suck my thumb in wonder.

I just spent a couple of hours running through the system because i thought something HAD to be wrong with the hardware somewhere because Hobbit 3 SUCKED EGGS.

Here is a clip of the dragon wrecking the town with the SUBS @ +8dB HOT, compared to Interstellar lift off scene at flat reference and at +8dB hot:

50f016ec190fcaaa392f977104e8c52f.png

The Hobbit movie sounds like there is something not right with the disc. Maybe it's the rental from NF? Dunno. There was no sound selection on the rental, just English and subtitles ON/OFF choices.

What disc did everyone watch/measure this on?

Man, this is one of those movies where others talk up the sound and I just suck my thumb in wonder.

I just spent a couple of hours running through the system because i thought something HAD to be wrong with the hardware somewhere because Hobbit 3 SUCKED EGGS.

Here is a clip of the dragon wrecking the town with the SUBS @ +8dB HOT, compared to Interstellar lift off scene at flat reference and at +8dB hot:

50f016ec190fcaaa392f977104e8c52f.png

The Hobbit movie sounds like there is something not right with the disc. Maybe it's the rental from NF? Dunno. There was no sound selection on the rental, just English and subtitles ON/OFF choices.

What disc did everyone watch/measure this on?

I'm with you. I thought it was better than the first 2, but nothing I'd ever have any wish to replay. It was decidedly meh to me. But compared to the turds that were 1 & 2, I guess this was a big improvement.

Archived