1. 1. Execution

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Ratatouille (5.1 PCM)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.07dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.96dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  This is one of my favorite movies of all time.  The shotgun blasts in the beginning are insane, and they account for the big bump below 10Hz.  The second half of the movie has very little bass content, but the movie is such a winner that you'll never notice.

When you watch this, you'll understand why Randy Thom's mix and sound effects were both nominated for Academy awards. The mix is full, extremely dynamic, clear, clean and diverse. 

PvA:

post-17-0-00756300-1425834696.png

• Like 2

Agreed that the bass that is there is VERY well done, but due to how little bass is in the movie, it is not one I think of when I think of great bass movies, but I am definitely more into the bass pounding experiences in general.

I thought the film was kind of  boring and dull to be honest, but to each their own. Probably my least favorite Pixar film (even over Cars 2!).

Yeah, it's not really a bass movie - yet scores well due to Randy Thom's unique mixing - each unto their own, as you said.  I was a registered chef for six years, so I have a special interest in this one. :)

I'll have to rewatch this on my main theater, as I haven't in a long, long time. But, I love this movie; I'm not a chef, but I love cooking.

This movie was great.  I keep forgetting to buy it.

My favorite effect is the lightning strike ... about as close to the real thing as I can recall hearing in a movie.

I agree with Abraham. This also is one of my favorite movies. The shotgun blasts are great. Forgot about the mightning strike though. That was pretty good too. I think next to The Incredibles it's one of my favorite mixes.

I'll update the BEQ thread with it when I have time.

JSS

Please do!  Incredibles is my favorite animated movie, and it already sounds pretty good.  I'd love to have it get just a little more oomph and balance.

I managed to pick this up cheap the other day and have watched it a couple of times now - excellent mix, very dynamic and the bass is very well done.  Not a lot of it, as mentioned already, but what there is is really nicely done.  :)