Martin Logan dynamo 1500X measurements are up

Ricci

Tiny sealed 15". Not bad for the size but could've been a bit better if they didn't try to make it into a bass reflex with signal processing. Seems like that is par for the course with small sealed subs these days. I don't get it. if you want a bass reflex and you are going to high pass at 20Hz anyway and throw the good transient response of a sealed system out the window just put a couple of PR's on these things net an extra 6dB  headroom 16-30Hz and charge an extra $150.

That isn't really directed at ML...Everyone seems to be doing this with their small sealed offerings. It makes no sense to me at all.

*** just put a couple of PR's on these things net an extra 6dB  headroom 16-30Hz and charge an extra $150.***

I agree with you. I recall reading an interview with Kevin Voecks where he mentioned the reason Revel went from sealed to PR in their then-flagship sub was that the PR variant was a lot more efficient in the range that actually matters.

Not to mention that three cones looks more expensive than one cone...

• 1 year later...

Hi Ricci, 

Can you explain why the ML did not get nearly of a glowing review as the similarly priced and sized SVS SB13 Ultra and the more expensive JL E112? The numbers aren't impressive for a 15'', but it seems to be on par on output numbers compared to the SVS and JL and still similarly sized. What am I missing here?

I don't know I thought the 1500X review was very positive overall? This is why I hate doing subjective reviews. One thing is that the response of the ML is chopped with a high pass and boosted to turn it into a vented type of response. As discussed above. The JL is too but its crazy amount of engineering and the fact it is a 12" driver are very impressive. The build quality is better and it has more output over the 25-50Hz octave from a smaller driver in a smaller box. The SVS rolls off much more shallowly and behaves more as you'd expect a sealed sub. Also its build quality is way more robust with higher quality components. It also has a bit more output over most of the bandwidth from a smaller driver. The cab is a bit larger though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information Josh! I just got myself this subwoofer!

I noticed that for under 30Hz stuff played back at loud volumes, the subwoofer would visibly vibrate and move sideways. However, you noted that 

"otherwise the cabinet did not rattle or buzz and there was none of the spurious mechanical or other signals from the driver that it was badly overdriven as with many other units."

Does that mean the cabinet was stable during the testing? Is there a chance I might have a problematic unit?

Archived