1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Fury (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (31Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.14dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  If it weren't for that one blip at 38Hz, this would be a 1Hz movie, because of a blip at 1.5Hz.  Otherwise, it's rolled off pretty consistently from 34Hz.  Good weight to some ofthe 50cal and front tank guns, but not what you'd expect for so many explosions and such heavy equipment.

I liked the movie, though.

PvA:

post-17-0-98526600-1422403005.png

Thanks for the graph!

Just trying to understand how the -10 pt is achieved, if the 38hz blip were gone it appears that the movies drops to -10 around 17hz. It does jump up again way down low, but I am not understanding how it would get a 1hz rating

Thanks for all of your work!!

I'm curious where that 1.5Hz hit is in the movie. It's crazy how one effect can change the overall rating so much. Subjectively, this is NOT a 1 star track for extension. I really liked it, personally. Could it have had more down-low grunt? Absolutely. But I thought what was there felt weighty and pleasing.

Looking at this film for BEQ, and there is ZERO clipping, and what looks like a tiny bit of limiting/lowpassing only on the LFE channel, all smooth waveforms.  Tremendous job by the sound team on this one to preserve the signal and not clip it away.  I may change my vote to 5 Stars just based on that.

JSS

I know the name of the game is to keep your system closer to reference - but I read this thread before I watched fury and knowing it wasn't rated that loud or low here I really cranked on the LFE.  I ran it about 20dB hot for the movie and enjoyed it quite a bit.  When the Tiger tank was rumbling around it was VERY enjoyable.   My nearfield subs were giving me more tactile sensation than I'd probably feel if the Tank was actually running 5 foot away from me in real life.

Funny --- because while it's obvious - our subjective impressions can easily be changed on a movie simply by turning the LFE channel up hot. 

The soundtrack was excellent with my bass turned hot.  My overall volume was about -14dB -- so figure the bass was about +6dB.  :)

Baloney to the original intent --- It was fun to have the bass that hot for the 50 cal and tank sounds!

The movie was a B movie for me, I won't be adding it to my personal collection, unless it's like $5 bucks --- as I didn't think it quite hit that mark.  I'd be happy with a quick demo section of the tiger tank battle for this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this film for BEQ, and there is ZERO clipping, and what looks like a tiny bit of limiting/lowpassing only on the LFE channel, all smooth waveforms.  Tremendous job by the sound team on this one to preserve the signal and not clip it away.  I may change my vote to 5 Stars just based on that.

JSS

Agreed.

Audio-wise, this one sounded crisp, dynamic and squeaky-clean. It served very well to help bring us into the story.

I was determined to avoid this one because I've been saturated with WWII propaganda films for most of my childhood and adulthood and I'm over it. As it turned out, President's day delayed our NF delivery and the wife went to RedBox and picked this one up, so I gave in and watched it with her.

War is madness. This flick conveyed a smidge of that madness a la the storming the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. The wife was a bit overwhelmed. Hard to believe that most people will view and judge this one as entertainment.

I've decided I'll be passing on this one. If it hadn't been filtered, I'd rent it. But screw it, no thanks.

I wouldn't go by the 31hz rating to say it is filtered. There is a massive spike at 38hz that skews this. If it wasn't for that spike this would be a low teen rating. Looking at the graph you can see it doesn't fall off of a cliff like other movies and has real output under 20hz.

I would def give this a spin and don't let the lack of flat-to-3 Hz dissuade you. It's extremely well done by a very competent Oscar-winning Swedish immigrant. Sound design/Mix and Supervisor for this one by Paul N.J. Ottosson. His credits include Hurt Locker and Battle:LA.

Here's a 1/2 dozen caps. As Max noted, VERY clean production on this soundtrack.

Play 'Where's Waldo?' with the 1.5 Hz spike. It's in one of these caps. :ph34r:

09c9f65c6e9d3f80c334cf271ebb3660.png

I've decided I'll be passing on this one. If it hadn't been filtered, I'd rent it. But screw it, no thanks.

A silly reason to not rent a movie. Aren't movies suppose to be more than just sound? I always thought the purpose of a movie was to tell a story, or an amusing tale. Just my .02

A silly reason to not rent a movie. Aren't movies suppose to be more than just sound? I always thought the purpose of a movie was to tell a story, or an amusing tale. Just my .02

Although some of the posts here are turning me onto a rent, I've drawn a line where I spend my money on movies. I'm trying (failing I think) to make a statement as a consumer. I'll bend the rules if it's something I really want to see, but this isn't. On top of this, RedBox has left Canada and rentals cost me $6 for blu ray. Buying is well over $20 in Canada. Streaming or downloading isn't my thing. And just for icing on the cake, I watch about 1 movie a week, if I'm lucky, because I have 2 kids, a wife, and an international student, plus I'm doing all my own home renovations. Even built my own front door :D All this consumes so much time that I'm extremely picky about what goes into my BDP come friday night. So unless it's got exactly what I'm looking for, SQ, PQ, good story, good action, etc., I don't bother wasting my time. :mellow:

Proof of where my time goes :o

8A6F80E5-91DF-460F-8AE4-FEA848194B5F_zps

Nice....did you do the glasswork too?

I liked the fact that the film pulled no punches.  I actually was not expecting much, so it was a pleasant surprise for me.  It simply took you through a few days of these character's lives at the end of WWII, making no judgments, with very little poetic justice thrown in.  

JSS 

Although some of the posts here are turning me onto a rent, I've drawn a line where I spend my money on movies. I'm trying (failing I think) to make a statement as a consumer. I'll bend the rules if it's something I really want to see, but this isn't. On top of this, RedBox has left Canada and rentals cost me $6 for blu ray. Buying is well over $20 in Canada. Streaming or downloading isn't my thing. And just for icing on the cake, I watch about 1 movie a week, if I'm lucky, because I have 2 kids, a wife, and an international student, plus I'm doing all my own home renovations. Even built my own front door :D All this consumes so much time that I'm extremely picky about what goes into my BDP come friday night. So unless it's got exactly what I'm looking for, SQ, PQ, good story, good action, etc., I don't bother wasting my time. :mellow:

That's an awesome door. How long did that take you?

I totally understand. If I was as busy as you, I'd be just as picky about my movie experience also. Didn't know RedBox left Canada. Hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't my intention.

No I didn't make the glass. That would be really cool though!

That's an awesome door. How long did that take you?

I totally understand. If I was as busy as you, I'd be just as picky about my movie experience also. Didn't know RedBox left Canada. Hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't my intention.

Thanks. Well, I'm further along than that photo shows. It's almost ready for finishing and I've probably got the equivelent of 3 8hr days into it. I need to build another one, and I'm pretty sure I'll be a lot quicker the second time. It uses mortise and tenon joinery which is time consuming for me.

You didn't offend me at all, sorry, I over explained myself, haha. Part of it is my annoyance with filtered sound tracks and putting DD on rentals. Now redbox is gone. I'm really finding it hard to watch high quality blu ray movies. Even renting at $6 is hard because the only video store is 1/2hr away from where I live. It's close to my work so I can rent on a weekday and return it during my lunch break, but weekend rentals would cost me $18 (3 nights) or I have to drive an hour round trip to return it :( So when redbox left I was really screwed. I very much like hard media too, and I'm not setup for streaming at all. Everybody seems to think this is worth watching though, so maybe I'll come around to it if I can find an opportunity.

Hey, ignore me if it means sticking to your guns. I applaud the stand. We usually get snowed under by the majority who are tone deaf and listen to the soundtracks through TV speakers. An upgrade for the masses is a sound bar. :P

I think your entry door project is remarkable, so remark I shall. You're such an asset to everyone on the boards, here and elsewhere. Thanks for posting the pic. Awesome work and please follow up when it's finished, hardware and all. It belongs in my folders with the rest of the elite DIY projects I've saved and that have inspired better subwoofer builds from myself over the years.

I would def give this a spin and don't let the lack of flat-to-3 Hz dissuade you. It's extremely well done by a very competent Oscar-winning Swedish immigrant. Sound design/Mix and Supervisor for this one by Paul N.J. Ottosson. His credits include Hurt Locker and Battle:LA.

Here's a 1/2 dozen caps. As Max noted, VERY clean production on this soundtrack.

Paul didn't do this by himself, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kinds words.

Archived