Sign in to follow this  
maxmercy

Guardians of the Galaxy - Discussion & Poll - CLOSED

Guardians of the Galaxy  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

Looking forward to this one.

Looking back on the Avengers graph it looks like a 30hz filter. At least this one looks like it doesn't start until 22hz (peak graph) but much steeper.

very true!!

very nice mix (the overall sound was very low...i usually listen at -10 to -15..this one was -5 easily) and the bass was actually very good.

thoroughly enjoyed this movie

I'll take this over a 30 Hz filter any day!

Yeah, definitely. Still sucks but 20hz extension is better than 30hz.

Tentative BEQ solution:

attachicon.gifGoG BEQ.jpg

May need more tweaking, we'll see.

JSS

Very cool! That looks much better.

I enjoyed the mix even though the crappy filter. I try not to weigh execution too heavily on level and extension as that is already weighted into the final score. This seemed to be a clean dynamic mix with bass in all the right places. I really enjoyed the film and gave it a 4 and buy.

Really enjoyed this film, both the original mix (could have used a little more weight to some effects) and the BEQ.  I compared some specific scenes and the BEQ is definitely an improvement.  I'll update the BEQ thread with the settings later.

Gotta hand it to the Marvel Studios guys.  Had this film opened the Marvel Cinematic Universe instead of Iron Man, I doubt anyone would have bought it.  But they solidly grounded the Universe with the most plausible (based on technology) and one of the most flawed of the heroes, and we bought in...

JSS

Movie wasn't too bad but bass could've been better IMO. Given the mix was down to port tune on my subs I expected it to be right in the sweet spot for me. A couple of scenes weren't bad but some were very lacking in relation to what was going on on screen. I will put in a disclaimer here as I've moved house and the room I now have the HT is not as good as the last house we lived in. Wooden floors and compromise on sub placement are contributing factors unfortunately. Can't believe how different it is. No longer renting though.

Yah I agree with Eljay and Aj72. Movie was awesome. 3D in IMAX shots were gorgeous. Bass was scarce. I still bought it though for the movie itself and I'm giving it a 3. I've watched TIH waayyyyy too many times and I'm spoiled from that I guess.

This movie was a lot of fun.  The sound mix is among the best of the year, and the bass is very good too.  It had a big slam factor!  The weak point was the dialog, which was a bit difficult to understand at times.  I like that the movie had strong macrodynamic swings, but at times it seemed like the dialog was just too low relative to the action.  Apart from that, I think the overall mix was excellent and supported the film and its style very well.  I believe part of the reason for the lower dialog was to reduce the overall average level of the movie and make the louder scenes have more impact.  I think that worked quite well.