Luke's Gjallarhorn/Othorn Discussion

lukeamdman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha no I remember that picture with the LMS's beside it. I literally have never seen a TV look smaller. The funny thing is I thought that this TV looked bigger but I couldn't tell with the Ghorns and Othorns right behind it. 

A 65" is a HUGE jump from a 37"! I'm sure that'll keep you happy till you have some dough for a screen.

What are the new mains gonna be?

Haha no I remember that picture with the LMS's beside it. I literally have never seen a TV look smaller. The funny thing is I thought that this TV looked bigger but I couldn't tell with the Ghorns and Othorns right behind it. 

A 65" is a HUGE jump from a 37"! I'm sure that'll keep you happy till you have some dough for a screen.

What are the new mains gonna be?

SEOS-24 with the BMS 4594ND and dual AE TD18H+.  They'll be over 6' tall, so I'm making them modular in 3 pieces so I can actually move them around.

It will be an active setup as well, with a Crest CC2800 driving the BMS coaxials, and a Crest Pro Lite 7.5 driving the four AE 18" drivers.  EQ/XO is the same MiniDSP 10x10HD I'm using for my subs.  

Good lawd!! You will definitely need an AT screen that goes from wall-to-wall to match your sound. Man nothing like overkill huh? That's like Scott's mains.

I will say I wish I had more depth behind my screen to go with towers but I sacrificed that for a larger screen. I just wanted to be able to do reference. You'll be able to do reference with what 8 watts haha?

Good lawd!! You will definitely need an AT screen that goes from wall-to-wall to match your sound. Man nothing like overkill huh? That's like Scott's mains.

I will say I wish I had more depth behind my screen to go with towers but I sacrificed that for a larger screen. I just wanted to be able to do reference. You'll be able to do reference with what 8 watts haha?

Yeah, they'll be a little over the top for a 2,300cu.ft room  :)

They're just a tad bigger than my SEOS-12 speakers...and in this picture the second 18 on top of the wave guide is missing!

20141023_154736_zpsskiynrbl.jpg

I think covering all that goodness up behind an AT screen would be criminal.   

I'm in Woodbury, would love to listen to your setup sometime. I wasn't able to make it over to the get together you had. Between you're horns and SEOS I bet your room is awesome.

Yeah, they'll be a little over the top for a 2,300cu.ft room  :)

They're just a tad bigger than my SEOS-12 speakers...and in this picture the second 18 on top of the wave guide is missing!

20141023_154736_zpsskiynrbl.jpg

I think covering all that goodness up behind an AT screen would be criminal.   

Those are going to be beasts! And I agree, I like having my toys showing. Especially my THT, I'm wicked proud of that thing. If I built my speakers I'd be even more proud. No way would I hide them.

I'm in Woodbury, would love to listen to your setup sometime. I wasn't able to make it over to the get together you had. Between you're horns and SEOS I bet your room is awesome.

Those are going to be beasts! And I agree, I like having my toys showing. Especially my THT, I'm wicked proud of that thing. If I built my speakers I'd be even more proud. No way would I hide them.

Anytime man, just say when.  

The mega SEOS speakers won't be finished for a while.  I ordered the 18" drivers from AE over 3 months ago and haven't heard a thing from them yet...their lead times are even crazier than normal right now.  

Anytime man, just say when.  

The mega SEOS speakers won't be finished for a while.  I ordered the 18" drivers from AE over 3 months ago and haven't heard a thing from them yet...their lead times are even crazier than normal right now.  

Awesome! Thanks. Probably won't be till sometime in the new year.

Before I had the 21-IPAL drivers I had the 21SW152-4 loaded in the Othorns, and each was powered with a bridged Crest CC5500.  Since getting the 1ohm IPALs and powering them with the SpeakerPower amp, the cc5500 amps have been laying around and I was going to sell them.  

They were too awesome to sell, so I moved them to the Ghorns  :)  

• 2 weeks later...

I had to poke back in here after our discussions Saturday to see your updates :) Looking awesome man. Those mains are going to absolutely rock! I did notice on your sweep of the EOT that your meter did manage to pickup just a smidge of 10hz content with your SL take. I wonder if this is still a combination of the meter and not entirely your HPF? You obviously could tell there was more there in my space, without any thought of a HPF, but I just wonder if we were right and the meter just won't mic to 10hz as well...

I had to poke back in here after our discussions Saturday to see your updates :) Looking awesome man. Those mains are going to absolutely rock! I did notice on your sweep of the EOT that your meter did manage to pickup just a smidge of 10hz content with your SL take. I wonder if this is still a combination of the meter and not entirely your HPF? You obviously could tell there was more there in my space, without any thought of a HPF, but I just wonder if we were right and the meter just won't mic to 10hz as well...

I'm still puzzled as to why or how we didn't pick up 10hz on the EOT sweep.  I should have brought my UMIK and had SpecLab running the whole time.

When you run your OmniMic sweeps, where do you place the MIC?  Was it where I was sitting on the front row on the left?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I spent a few hours at Lukes this afternoon. Only one word describes his horns "BEAST". I've never experienced anything like them. I think the server room scene from Pulse had the biggest impact; those waves of bass that filled the room was awesome. Thank you again Luke for taking time on Saturday away from your family to show off your horns. Also appreciate you taking the time to show me how the miniDSP works, really need to invest in one. Great to spend time with another basshead and great guy! If anyone is ever in MN, you gotta swing buy Lukes and check out his horns. There really is something so different and awesome about a horn sub.

Also, wanted to add that the room turned out awesome!

Well I spent a few hours at Lukes this afternoon. Only one word describes his horns "BEAST". I've never experienced anything like them. I think the server room scene from Pulse had the biggest impact; those waves of bass that filled the room was awesome. Thank you again Luke for taking time on Saturday away from your family to show off your horns. Also appreciate you taking the time to show me how the miniDSP works, really need to invest in one. Great to spend time with another basshead and great guy! If anyone is ever in MN, you gotta swing buy Lukes and check out his horns. There really is something so different and awesome about a horn sub.

Also, wanted to add that the room turned out awesome!

I had a great time!  It's always fun to meet another enthusiast, and I definitely want to hear your THT.  

Here were some highlights that the SPL Lab meter caught:

Dubstep music:  138.3db at 28hz

EOT:  137.2db at 20hz

Pulse:  137.4db at 17hz

FOTP:  Continuous 137db during the entire barrel roll

I felt exhausted from all the bass.  What a blast!

I had a great time!  It's always fun to meet another enthusiast, and I definitely want to hear your THT.  

Here were some highlights that the SPL Lab meter caught:

Dubstep music:  138.3db at 28hz

EOT:  137.2db at 20hz

Pulse:  137.4db at 17hz

FOTP:  Continuous 137db during the entire barrel roll

I felt exhausted from all the bass.  What a blast!

Went to look for a movie tonight, decided my ears and brain had been assaulted enough. :D:blink:

Meant what I said. Anytime you want to hear it, it would be my pleasure.

Please tell me that hearing protection was a part of this escapade....or at least given a thought...

JSS

Ummm, it might have been discussed. :unsure:

Just for fun, I removed the HPF from the Ghorns to see what kind of room gain I have at 10hz.

Long story short, at the xmech limits of the 5400 where the cone was tapping the spider, I only got a whopping 106db at 10hz at the LP...

In Josh's outdoors testing with the Ghorns at 2 meters, he got 96db with one, so that means two should hit 102db.

My room gain at 10hz is only 4db?  Pathetic! 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived