Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....

vxds11

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have Duratex on order and few more odds and ends. A quick suggestion for those in the finishing stages and will be painting cabs.....Floetrol has been used in my home since I discovered it 4 years ago. Probably this best thing to use if you want a smooth even coat on anything you paint.

Add-Floetrol-to-Paint.png

• 1 month later...

Welp, since I have to wait and see when the new Atmos/DTS:X receivers roll out, I figured I'd snatch a "stop gap" solution to my old school Sony ES HDMI v.1.3 beast.

Yay or Nay on this one?.......

IMAG2081_zpsqwctmcqt.jpg

That's a good score then.  Looks like you're on the way to a serious sound upgrade.  Thanks for the Floetrol tip.  Do you think you might get into some speclab for your new system after everything is up and running? 

Yeah Shreds, the wife questioned why I would not just get a more bigger, expensive receiver or pre/pro and call it a day. I hate gambling on used/refurbs and avoid that shit like the plague, so nope, not going that route either. Once all this ATMOS-DTS:X/HDMI 2.0-HDCP 2.2 crap comes together, the serious purchase happens.

Now, as for Floetrol, I can't stress it enough if you're a phuckup Phil when it comes to working with paint. Not everyone is a powder coating badass.

I believe getting into speclab is a necessity if your're even remotely serious about doing what we do, so yeah, I'm going to at least try. Judging from Bosso's new thread on the issue with some of these guys is hilarious to say the least. It's like Neil deGrasse Tyson arguing with a backward-ass flat earther dude about how old the earth is.  

I always liked Denon. Seemed more reliable than some of the other brands. Good pick till you get another one with the newer codecs.

Seems to be true 5-10 years ago A-Bloc, but now, not so sure......

Yah you're right but at the price you paid you can't go wrong with that Denon. Now when it comes to gettin the high end one.....

I think I'd go with an Integra, though personally I'd go separates simply because most of the amps in receivers are 2 channel rated to meet their power specs, even the "high end" ones. If you got efficient speakers you'll prolly be fine but separates aren't much more than a high end receiver anyway. I still don't know what to get next to replace my pos Sherbourn so I'll prolly be shopping same time as you. Damn electronics and the never ending upgrades!

I hate gambling on used/refurbs and avoid that shit like the plague, so nope, not going that route either.  

Reading reviews on this Denon unit does not instill confidence at all. Foot, meet mouth.

Damn A-Bloc, your sentiments ring true on so many levels, but the less we have in the signal chain to worry about, the better. These manufacturers need to stop trying to mix computers with receivers, period.

processors need more CPU power not less, the state of the avr/prepro market today is just ridiculously backward imv.

No doubt man. The fad is to cram media in to every single device there is. I can watch netflix from a refrigerator and listen to bluetooth music through a rock speaker....seriously though, once you start to cram all sorts of "bells and whistles" into these networked receivers, all kinds of issues pop up unheard of 10 years ago.

No doubt man. The fad is to cram media in to every single device there is. I can watch netflix from a refrigerator and listen to bluetooth music through a rock speaker....seriously though, once you start to cram all sorts of "bells and whistles" into these networked receivers, all kinds of issues pop up unheard of 10 years ago.

I did think of saying "but fewer bells and whistles are also required to free up that cpu power to do useful stuff"  but I was on my phone so I didn't :)

take something like this as an example - http://www.audiovero.de/en/preamp-14-cleanvolver.php 

it's a pre amp but a pre amp that includes an rpi2 hence it can do a high tap count FIR filter while also running squeezelite to provide an embedded streamer. This is the sort of thing that an innovative CE industry could build rather than churning out the same kit based on 10+ yr old $5 DSP chips. 

I just want what you want Dom...newer codecs and 2.2. Dirac live or Audyssey are a plus but not needed. All those other features I could care less about. Wifi and bluetooth are nice but not necessary.

The only signal chain problems are your pre/pro or receiver, sub amp, and any eq device you might have. Having separates wouldn't change that. If that Denon pro preamp Max checked out had Atmos or DTS:X I woulda already bought it.

@Madaeel, @Shredhead, @Mktheater, and others.

I seriously need help from you guys on this topic.

Ebay really isn't my cup of tea, but this has me intrigued.

I'm VERY interested in this Sony STR-DA5700ES, but I see it......

Listed as new here: Item# 251928089023

Listed as used here: Item# 191593185975

These are from two different users, from two different locations. BUT IT'S THE SAME DAMN RECEIVER (check the serial number in BOTH pics) Should there be cause for concern and is that even legal according to Ebay's selling policies?

Hopefully someone will chime in with a little more know on the subject and clue me in. 

Well one of them is used and the other is new. The one that's selling new has the receipt so you can get the 5 year warranty. I don't buy much on ebay but as long as you use your cc you can always dispute it. Are you thinking of this AVR till a newer one comes out you like?

I would ask the guy why not just return the Sony for a refund being 7 days old.  Like Adam said, why this AVR?  I did like my Sony 2800ES when I had it but preferred the Yamaha over it.  The outlaw I have now is awesome except it does not have a phone app which is killing me but it digs deep and the most powerful bass I have felt. 

Arrghh. Yeah man, I'm getting that vibe too. I wanted to stay with the ES line (Sony STR-DA3300ES), but wanted to upgrade to at least HDMI 1.4a. I could always go the Outlaw route, but I don't know anything about it's reliability. 

I would guess one of the 2 sellers was too lazy to take pictures of it himself so he just copied other people's.  There is always some risk with Ebay but if it was me, I'd be more interested in the seller with the 14 day hassle free return thing and free shipping.  Worst case you might have to eat shipping it back to them. 

Is it this Outlaw that you are considering http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/352-measuring-equipment-for-71-ulf-potential/?p=5918  cause if so damn all that clipping stuff.

Yes but I run it so it does not clip.  What I don't understand is that with the NanoAvr you are supposed to run the 975 on large with no bass management at all?  Was the 975 still running bass management with the nano?  With the Nano you are supposed to set everything on large and put the trims at 0 and let the Nano do it's thing. 

Good point Shred, and I completely forgot about the testing you guys did concerning clipping and bass management. I also read the Denon 4520 clipped on it's subwoofer pre-outs, so it's a hit or miss unless you have the time and resources to test it thoroughly......bum.....eerrr.  

The Outlaw I think was clipping on the digital side so that you couldn't correct the problem with trim/MVL, that's why maxmercy had to use his nanoavr thing to nudge the levels down before it went in digitally to that processor.  You guys should hit up max if you need the details on the work around. 

As long as you can dial back the trim to keep from clipping, I wouldn't mind about not passing the 0db trim WCS as long as it was a good enough deal.

V, I don't know where you live but if you buy something new with a good return policy you can send it to me in NC and I'll test it for you. 

Archived