Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....

vxds11

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks man, unfortunately, I have to put things on hold for a little bit. A word of caution for those who buy cable from Parts Express. DO NOT PURCHASE ITEM #100-482 http://www.parts-express.com/13-awg-2-conductor-portable-speaker-cable-1-ft--100-482. It's probably 18 gauge at best, and CCA wrapped garbage. STAY AWAY! I just ordered C&E Tech 12AWG pure copper on a 100ft. spool to wire all of my speakons and the cabs. 

IMAG2055_zps732031aa.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey big P. Sorry I haven't updated the build the last few weeks. I've been sick as a dog and I have three kids all under the age of seven. That's an insane asylum mix right there. It's coming along awesome though and still have to get more progress pics up. I'm sitting smack dab in the middle of a blizzard right now. I literally live in the middle of Connecticut, and we're getting hammered right now (again), so my time spent on the build will be limited.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously thinking about going HTPC for pre/pro duties and use my old Sony ES multi-ch ins. Streamline my signal chain a bit. Get rid of the gaming consoles and Tivo's and the like  :D  I see that Max stands behind the Denon DN-500AV which is/was below my budget, and sounds promising.

As long as you don't need 4K for now, and who does really, it should be great. Not to mention even those that "do" 4K don't have HDCP 2.2 which renders it useless. I think it only has 4 HDMI inputs too. Other then that it seems like a great pre/pro and it looks badass to me.

Now I'm in the market for a new pre/pro or avr, ant suggestions?

You want to buy a slightly used OPPO BDP-105??? ;)

I really don't feel right recommending anything now seeing as apparently you have to test everything yourself to even see if it does what it's supposed to. 

As long as you don't need 4K for now, and who does really, it should be great. Not to mention even those that "do" 4K don't have HDCP 2.2 which renders it useless. I think it only has 4 HDMI inputs too. Other then that it seems like a great pre/pro and it looks badass to me.

I was seriously thinking about that while researching the more important aspects of what I need instead of want. Onkyo and Sony are the only two I know of who support both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 at the moment.

You want to buy a slightly used OPPO BDP-105??? ;)

I really don't feel right recommending anything now seeing as apparently you have to test everything yourself to even see if it does what it's supposed to. 

HaHa, man don't tempt me if the price is right, but I digress, I'm a "KISS" kinda guy, so simplicity is most def a plus.  On the other hand, like Bosso said, all it takes is summed channels of redirected bass and it gets brick wall limited and the clipping shits. Bad form Oppo.

A little off topic, but when I was first getting into this hobby, I picked up my first Marantz DVD-Audio player and the DVD-A version on Metallica's Black album. I'm a progressive metal type guy so I listen to a lot of Tool  <_<, and always hated that if I listened at spirited levels on my system, it would clip to hell on my old crappy Sony HTiB set up. Once I moved to the Marantz and Sony ES, from a subjective standpoint, everything sounded amazing and never looked back.

I was seriously thinking about that while researching the more important aspects of what I need instead of want. Onkyo and Sony are the only two I know of who support both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 at the moment.

I got one of the cheaper Onkyo's for my living room. It has 2.0 and 2.2 which is why I got it. Plus the amp specs for all channels driven are enough to drive my speakers to ref in the room. Though it's so damn bright in there I hardly ever listen that loud. Though I prolly won't need or want 2.0 and 2.2 for awhile it's nice to know you'll be fine in the future if you go that route.

I guess it all boils down to what would be more important support wise in the near future, i.e. audio (object-based formats= Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS:X) or video (4K). For video, everything in the signal chain has to play nice, and that's where 2.0 & 2.2 come in to play. I don't see my self getting 4K for the 106" screen anytime soon, but less to worry about when the time comes to upgrade if I have it.

Not a fan of any of those formats unless they're discrete. I'm sure they will be at some point but as of yet they have not stated they are. There's still plenty of movies that aren't even in 7.1 yet and the ones that are don't take full advantage of the rear channels either. I'd say 4K or Atmos etc are far from being mainstream and since I can't mount or install ceiling speakers in my living room I went for 4K compatible. I'm pretty sure the newer receivers will have or do have both now anyway so whichever you buy you should be good.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanna thank you guys for waiting patiently to get my ass back in gear on this awesome project. Kudos to those of you can complete something this with little or minimal "outside" influences and it come out to your liking  :P I have been peeping in to other threads from time to time, and this forum, although with a little less traffic, has been still my #1 place to visit. @Adam, I think you're right, I just have to pony up and make a decision. @Maxmercy, have you been to SDN lately!? It's AVS to a tee  ;)

What is SDN?  Man, I feel your pain.  I have 4 surfboards, 8 bass traps, my HT, the 7.1 Audio Test Disc, and a new wiffleball glove design in differing stages of completion.  I do like that the weather is finally turning.

I will stay tuned for updates on this project, though.

JSS

Archived