28 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

I liked this movie. I don't think it was as good as First Class, bass wise and movie wise, but still a good movie if you are a fan of the Xmen series. Looking forward to Xmen Apocalypse, but we are going to have a long wait for that. I am not using subs at the moment with my 215's. I am using a house curve for the bass and had it boosted and I thought the bass sounded excellent, it was bass done right IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

What are your test tones?  For LFE, I am talking about Pink Noise, very steeply band limited, 20-80Hz, encoded at -20dBFS (-23dBFS RMS).  If your receiver's test tone is different, then you will get a different result.  You can 'sort of' verify by running a sweep through the LFE channel, and it should be about 10dB above the screen channels.  Any suckouts/dips between 20Hz and 80Hz in your system will mean that you may have set the level too high with PN and SPL meter set to C-weighting, and SLOW.  

On the back burner is a calibration disc made to fit multiple different standards for calibrating so that anyone will be able to calibrate to either Theater Reference, or the levels established as Reference by ATSC for smaller rooms.  

There are different ways to set up SPL, depending on whether you have band-limited or Full-Band PN, and the room treatment will change perceived level as well, as it will cut down on reverb at higher freqs.  If you have a 'concrete bunker' that has high LF reverb times, your 'Reference' may actually sound 'less loud', as the SPL meter will be integrating the reverb into the reading.

Lots of variables in play, and room size and level of treatment can change all of them.  I have found that in my current state of room treatment, my 'reference' (when it sounds like a good movie theater) is around 80dBC (instead of 85).  ATSC recommends 78dBC for my size room.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer.

JSS

Yeah, it could be the test tones on the receiver.  When I use the NanoAvr it is so easy to set all the levels and without clipping any inputs too.  What does ATSC recommend for 1500 cubes?  I probably listen too loud as I use 85dBC.  I know the new X-men sounds awesome that loud though. 

<1500  76dBC

1500-5000 78dBC

5000-10000 80dBC

10000-20000 82dBC

>20000 85dBC

Some pink noise signals contain content to 3Hz, and can skew things even further.  The rolloff of a C-weighted SPL meter should counteract some of that, but some real ULF capable systems may measure 'higher' with that kind of PN signal.  I usually listen at 75dBC, unless trying to impress folks, then its 78dBC or 80dBC.

JSS

I would agree, but the RFK and Quicksilver scenes stole the show for me.  I have to go back and look, but I didn't remember seeing any of the outfield seats painted white as they should have been, as Frank Howard hit some to that upper deck in Center field on multiple occasions, each time getting the seat it hit painted white...

JSS

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  Great movie and great soundtrack!  For what this movie lacked in level, it made up for with good sound design featuring a variety of effects that use the full bass range.  While none of the effects were super powerful, I definitely don't agree with those who say this movie was lacking in the bass.  My original suspicion is that this film was mastered less hot and needed a boost on the master volume.  Having watched it however I can say that overall, it was about average as far as loudness goes.  So why do some think it lacks bass?  Perhaps it is because of the broadband nature of many of the effects.  If the system bass response is not smooth or overall headroom is lacking, then wide band effects may sound weak compared with sounds with focused energy that might tend to better couple with room resonances.

An odd thing I did notice, apart from the occasional hiss noise in the ADR, is that the surrounds seemed unusually loud at times.  Was this an Atmos track originally?  It did sound like a lot of things were panned along the ceiling, even though I'm only running 5.1 channels.  I know that Atmos does try to virtualize overhead effects when downmixing, so maybe there's something to that.

And to re-iterate, I subjectively thought the mastering level was about average for typical Blu-ray releases.  I played this film with master volume "-6", which is the most common value I use these days.  (My range is about "-12" to "0".)  I set my master volume level by subjectively assessing the level of the dialog in the presentation and choosing the level that makes the dialog sound most clear and natural.  I am calibrated with bass flat from 20 to 120 Hz at 85 dBC followed by a descending response that gets down to about 79-80 dBC in the top octave.  With my room and speakers, this curve subjectively sounds much flatter than when using a flat curve or when using either a bass boost or treble roll-off alone.  I'm still in the process of optimizing this curve and expect to change it as I make other changes and improvements to the system and room.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived