2. 2. Recommendation?

XMen: Days of Future Past

Level - 3 Stars (109.43dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (4Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.54dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

* proper decoding accomplished, now a 3 Star level film.

It is definitely full-bandwidth, though, and it was very good.

JSS

post-20-0-95038100-1415229494.jpg

I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions of this. Because I was VERY disappointed in this movie. Could it just be that the level was so low?? If so, I gotta give it another spin with the sub trim jacked up a few notches. I'm astonished at this graph, honestly.

Loved this....I KNEW it was full bandwidth...lots of the slow mo is very deep digging...too bad there is not much more of it...but still a great bass movie for me...

mind you I play all movies 3-6db higher in the bass dept. than audyssey puts it...but till no house curve or low end boost

Liked the bass in this one although it definitely was a bit low in level.

Graphs:

The scene were Quicksilver slows everything down:

post-1300-0-61454300-1413398151_thumb.jpg

Baseball Stadium starts flying...

post-1300-0-64191900-1413397454_thumb.jpg

...and lands again

post-1300-0-09623400-1413397487_thumb.jpg

EDIT: How do you post attachments from other posts? The first graph doesn't show but I just copied the code from the other post.

EDIT: How do you post attachments from other posts? The first graph doesn't show but I just copied the code from the other post.

If everyone is saying low in level, we may have another 'The Amazing Spider-Man' on our hands, and the decode worked properly.  if dialogue was also low in level, then simply turn up MV by 3-4 dB and you have instant 4-Star Level.  If dialogue is then too loud, use your nanoAVR and turn up the LFE channel's level.  According to my decode, they left about 5dB on the table in the LCR, nearly 6dB in the LFE, and have hotter surround use, esp back surrounds.  There is some clipping, but not as bad as TF4 or Godzilla.

To post from another, go to the 1st post, right-click the image and choose 'open in new tab', right click on the image in the new tab, and choose 'copy URL', then use the 'Image' tool in the post box and paste the pic URL into the dialogue box.

Like this:

post-1300-0-61454300-1413398151.jpg

JSS

To post from another, go to the 1st post, right-click the image and choose 'open in new tab', right click on the image in the new tab, and choose 'copy URL', then use the 'Image' tool in the post box and paste the pic URL into the dialogue box.

I tried that but if I right click an image it does the same as when left clicking (same goes for clicking with the mouse wheel).

Interesting that there were several posts saying the bass was not good. This is why I don't like when people posts graphs/impressions of movies they downloaded.

I didn't download the movie, it has been out for a while where I live.

Interesting that there were several posts saying the bass was not good. This is why I don't like when people posts graphs/impressions of movies they downloaded.

There are impressions of the movie from more than one person with the BD in all its DTS-MA glory, too. Same impression. 106 dbs probably has much to do with it.

From DJBluemax: Ugh. Just watched X-Men DoFP. Enjoyed the movie, story (miles above TF4) and action overall. The bass on the other hand, was a HUGE letdown. So many missed opportunities.

Max

From GPBurns:  Sadly I can confirm the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 on blu-ray is pathetic, soooooooooo disappointing

Ahem, just wanted to point out that downloaded does not necessarily mean poor quality.

There's nothing stopping people from downloading the actual content of the BD discs, basically the whole shebang except the plastic disc itself.

If some re-encoded lesser quality rips are floating around it stands to reason the original content also floats around ;)

Back to the movie, haven't seen it yet, might do tomorrow if I get time.

I tried that but if I right click an image it does the same as when left clicking (same goes for clicking with the mouse wheel).

To add to what maxmercy said, in some browsers, if you click the thumbnail, then right-click the "Save" button and open in a new tab, copy the subsequent URL of that new tab to add the image to the post.  Hope that helps!

Baseball stadium starts flying:

post-1300-0-64191900-1413397454.jpg

There are impressions of the movie from more than one person with the BD in all its DTS-MA glory, too. Same impression. 106 dbs probably has much to do with it.

From DJBluemax: Ugh. Just watched X-Men DoFP. Enjoyed the movie, story (miles above TF4) and action overall. The bass on the other hand, was a HUGE letdown. So many missed opportunities.

Max

From GPBurns: Sadly I can confirm the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 on blu-ray is pathetic, soooooooooo disappointing

But the graphs obviously show there is plenty of scenes with deep bass. Not sure what kind of systems those people have that are complaining about the lack of bass. I will be watching it this Friday so I will post back my impressions.

Maybe it is the low levels that are at fault? Knowing this going in, I am likely to turn up the volume higher than my normal listening levels.

I'll take lower levels any day of the week if it means proper dynamics get kept.  You can always turn a low level, dynamic track up and it sounds even better.  You cannot retrieve the data that was clipped/limited/compressed away in a loud mix.

This track may be a reason that the loudness wars continue.  If the loud, compressed clipped tracks get perfect scores, and the dynamic albeit lower overall level tracks get lower 'scores' from the 'experts', you can expect more of TF4, Godzilla, PacRim in the future.  I am sure glad some filmmakers appreciate properly crafted sound, and let it happen on BluRay.  It is just too bad that some of the most highly anticipated releases fall prey to the compression/limting/clipping make-it-louder fanboys with their HTIBs and the 'my 87dB sensitive speakers can do reference no problem with AVR power' crowd...

JSS 

So, bump the SW output trim level by +7dB and you have a 5 star MWB experience.

The problem is that most people with capable low end systems already bump the low end by +6-10dB, which skews the entire rating system as a reference, in which case, where would you go from there? You'd have to run the subs +15dB hot.

In 12 years I have never seen anyone run the subs flat, capable system or not. I set up a system 8 years ago and carefully calibrated it flat from 20-12k Hz, which was the system's bandwidth limits. The guy invited me over to watch a title fight boxing match and before the match started, as we shot pool, he played music. The bass seemed stupid loud to me so I sidled over to the equipment rack and saw that he had the SW trimmed pegged.  So, unless he reset the signal chain and/or used the sub's plate amp, he would have no further to bump the SW trim. Even if he did, I guarantee the signal to the sub was clipping badly, further squashed by the aggressive limiters in the sub's plate amp.

I told him it was time to upgrade the subwoofer part of his system. He thought I was kidding.

Sadly, IMO, this ^^^ scenario is more the rule than the exception, in my experience.

The rating system is such a great tool in this respect. I leave plenty of sig chain headroom and use the amplifier gain setting to bump the low end according to the movies level rating number. It works quite well.

And, I completely agree with Max here. When you properly size the system and then set up the signal chain gain, meaning you have headroom all the way through the the system, taking a highly dynamic track and bumping the level to reference makes for the highest possible SQ.

The problem is that most people with capable low end systems already bump the low end by +6-10dB, which skews the entire rating system as a reference, in which case, where would you go from there? You'd have to run the subs +15dB hot.

This is me, right here.

I run flat, or maybe a dB or two hot. But I now have nearfield subs. No need to run hotter (so far), esp w/ the BassEQ'ed films. 4x15" drivers firing ~2" behind MLP. I have yet to experiment with a house curve, but prob won't need one.

Remember, if calibrating with BW limited PN (20-80Hz) at -20dBFS RMS, and a C-weighted SPL meter set to 'slow', you NEED to set the sub +4dB to +6dB (depending on FR at the LP) on the SPL Meter compared to the mains to be calibrated 'flat'.

JSS

Saw this in 3D and in an Atmos equipped theater originally. Just watched again on Tuesday, and it sounded great to me. I watched it a little louder than I usually do and I thought the bass scenes (Quicksilver scene especially) sounded great. Thought the whole film was mixed very well. No complaints.

So I watched the 3D presentation today and i like the movie.

Watched it in theatre earlier this year and thought it might be good sounding at home later.

Yep, it was, well mixed sweet sounding audio, i do prefer that over compressed all to hell mixes.

And sure there was lower bass present, not unlike the TASM in as you just turn it up higher than normal, although not as packed with ULF as TASM.

Hower, there were too many missed ULF moments for my liking to earn a 5 star rating.

I would expect the stadium drop or the large steel panic-room digup to be more heavy hitting than it was.

Voted 4 and buy.

A good film IMO. I thought the bass was well done too but I definitely ran it as hot as any movie I've ever watched. Not complaining though as it still sounded clean. I wouldn't put it in the same league as First Class but it's good. There's been much talk about this film and the lack of bass. I never adjust trims on my 7.1 Rotel Preamp leaving sub setting at "0". I've got passive subs and adjust the gain to suit on my MIC2200 which also performs the PEQ for the LFE channel. This doesn't seem to make the bass signal sound any different apart from increasing the level. If I try to compensate using the Rotel preamp sub trim it sounds strained in comparison and lacks the impact. It's loud but doesn't sound right. I'm specifically referring to using at or near max setting which is +10dB. Using the equivalent level setting on the MIC2200 results in a night and day difference. Is there something different going on in my preamp which means it's not equipped to deal with such a boosted setting? Lack of headroom? Seems like the Preamp setting does degrade the quality of the bass signal when boosted a lot. As Bossobass Dave mentioned the people who have already got the AVR setting at eleven may have no room to move with a lower recording like this? A bit off topic but relevant to this film. I thought the bass to be a genuine 4 maybe slightly higher.

First let me say I watched this with the LFE 10 dBs hot and it was a treat! The overall sound was superb and never harsh. I love this mix and the bass does dig deep. It was lots of weight which I love. Check out the scene when magneto gets his helmet, it digs low! The sweep of the slow down gets deeper than any other sweep I can remember. The film is great as well! Now I run all movies hot and a movie like LOTR gets louder but the bass is louder at 30-40hz, not this low. The dynamics were superb as well. Me Likey and I would take this over TF4 any day. I liked the overall sound better than EoT which could sound harsh at times but the bass was better on that, but only in loudness. Back to back bass films. Yes the levels were a little low but again I watch all movies hot and what this does is reward me with the Better sounding full bandwidth movies compared to loud at 30hz stuff because that bass hurts my ears when too hot.

Archived