34 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Captain America - The Winter Soldier (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.62dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.52dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Lots of effects down to 12Hz, with some very strong 20Hz content.  Two effects even dig to 5Hz at high amplitude - see if you can find them!  Most of the big stuff is around 30Hz, but it's nice to see the goodies aren't completely filtered out.  Solid movie, and very good overall audio - you can tell this one was designed and mixed by Skywalker Sounds.

PvA:

post-17-0-11445600-1410269989_thumb.png

Folks,

When you watch Godzilla next week (or whenever), compare its mix to The Winter Soldier and post which one's bass you prefer, and why (plus your bass capability and room size).  I'd love to hear honest feedback just to get an idea of people's perceptions.

I picked up Captain America Winter Soldier this morning on Blu Ray 3D. I don't like to pitch Walmart but they had CAWS for $19.98 on Blu Ray 3D, Blu Ray and HD digital download. Not bad for a big new release in 3D.  I will get to this one hopefully by the weekend. This is going to be the first movie we watch in my brand new theater. My wife asked me last month what the first movie would be and I said IDK? Worked out that this will be it ! From what I am hearing, it is going to be a great grand opening movie. Yehaw, I cannot wait. 

I'll comment on the bass hopefully soon.  I just ordered the 3D version on Amazon so hopefully I'll get it in a few days (crossing my fingers that I get it in time for the weekend).  I loved it in the theaters and even there it was pretty monstrous in the LFE category.  I'm looking forward to watching it at home!

Watching tonight with a buddy. I'll give my feedback afterword; I saw it in the theater and loved it.

I said 4 for execution; however, this could have been due to where I was sitting. I'm guessing it's probably more of a 5. Great movie, liked it more the second time around.

Obviously a buy for me.

Liked this more than the first in the theater, but it's even better at home! Glad they didn't filter it.

Funny sidenote, I was thinking to myself how the gunshots had more bass than reality till I thought about the cardboard target shaking in my hand at every shot as my buddy was sighting in his AR next to me a couple of days ago.

Forgot how loud they really are (especially at an indoor range) till I took off the earmuffs (still had plugs in) while he tried my scoped rig.

Max

No contest between this and Godzilla, IMO. Godzilla was clearly missing the low end. Not a fan of the picture quality, either. Entertaining movie, though. But I was always a fan of Godzilla.

CATWS was awesome, if you ask me. No, it didn't dig to the levels some of the TOP tier movies do, but there was enough of it. And I loved the movie. i've watched it 3 times already.

1900 cu foot room. 2 SI 18s flat to ~5 Hz, and 2 Buttkickers in my reclining sofa.

I'm guessing here but when Bucky slams his fist into Caps shield at the 1hr 22min mark could be down to 5Hz? Helicarrier crashing into sea? Remember I have ported Caps so just a stab in the dark! Just watched this again and it blows me away. Savage bass mix and awesome audio. Loved it.

I just finished this for the second time. First time watched it back to back with the first one on blu release day and was just having a ball. Even after reading here and trying to remember to judge which scenes dug deep, I got pulled into the film and forgot. Several Whoa moments with bass waves even this second time watching with the family at lower level than my norm. Great film and fantastic use of the subwoofers. I am good to 9 hz with quad sealed SI HT18's <1500 cubes. I knew I was in for a treat with the flyby at the beginning, but I would be surprised if the heli carrier crashing into the building isn't one of the scenes digging low. Great sound design with a lot of different effects that fit right in with what was on-screen. As of now, my favorite film and soundtrack combo of the summer. Edge of Tomorrow or a late sleeper is going to have to blow me away to dethrone this as my pick of the year.

Watched Godzilla in AMC Prime with Atmos and butt shakers and had a feeling it would be a 30hz heavy flick. Wasn't that impressed with the plot holes or acting so don't know when I will get around to renting.

Thanks for keeping up on the ball with posting on the new releases Nube. Always nice to check in and see what I felt.  :)

How is it possible that this one only got 4 stars for level?  it sounded quite loud to me.  In fact, there were times when I would have preferred a bit less bass level in exchange for better bass micro-dynamics.  I'm thinking mostly of the "finale" scene here, which had some great sound work but I was wanting each mini-explosion to stand out more like they do so well in films like Transformers.  Apart from that, this film was chock full of infrasonics (including in some of the ambient sound effects) as well as mid and upper bass slam.  The scene near the beginning with the car crashes and machine guns is, IMO, demo worthy for a system with good transient bass response.

My equipment consists of 1 Hsu Research VTF3-MK4, 1 Hsu VTF-15H, and 2 Hsu MBMs in a bi-amped configuration.  The first two handle deep bass and are ported at around 16 Hz.  The MBMs handle mid/upper bass and are crossed-over with the other subs at roughly 50 Hz.   I hand optimized the EQ and crossover filters with the help of software I wrote for the purpose.  My in-room, as-configured bass response is very smooth and essentially flat down to 20 Hz, -3dB at 16 Hz, -6 dB at 15 Hz, and -9 dB at 14 Hz, with 12 Hz being the lowest (clean) audible frequency.  I should be able to hit 120 dB over most of the bass range and at least 115 dB (probably more) at 20 Hz.  The decay time is fairly rapid, like 15-25 dB after 100 ms for everything above 25 Hz or so.  I don't go as low as many here, but I do get great slam!

Just got a PB13 last week and this was the first movie I checked out with it. The bass is really clean and powerful it really amazed me and I only had it at -10db. I turned it up to reference for a certain sequence in the climax of the film and WOW it blew me away I thought my roof was gonna cave in. I had already seen it in theaters and was disappointed with the bass. But watching the movie again at home felt like a completely different experience and is a definite buy for me even with the lack of special features. 

I'm going to have to go back and watch this again. I watched it a few days ago with some family and wasn't enamored with the LFE. I thought is was good, but I personally would have rated it about 3.5 stars. The only scene that really stood out was the missile attack on the bunker and the end with the gunships shooting each other down.

I think that a movie like Hulk (Ed Norton), Underworld Awakenings or Tron legacy had more bass content but Captain America 2 isn't far off those heavy hitters. What's so great about CAP2 is the clean mix, kind of like Oblivion in a way. The whole mix just doesn't fatigue even at louder volumes.

Watched it tonight.  Great audio!  The bass/LFE was very different from "Pacific Rim", which I watched last weekend and whose audio I enjoyed: I thought it was cleaner-sounding, more "diverse" (vs. PR's narrower range of "crunch") and, overall, better balanced.

(How's that for a technical-sounding assessment? ;):D )

Watched it tonight.  Great audio!  The bass/LFE was very different from "Pacific Rim", which I watched last weekend and whose audio I enjoyed: I thought it was cleaner-sounding, more "diverse" (vs. PR's narrower range of "crunch") and, overall, better balanced.

(How's that for a technical-sounding assessment? ;):D )

I would agree with that.  I always thought Pacific Rim was a bit 'one note-ish' as in many of the effects were in the same frequency range.  I just watched The Winter Soldier last night and I really enjoyed the LFE.  It didn't have the depth of, say, The Incredible Hulk, but the effects were very smartly placed and, like you said, clean sounding.  I'll have to watch it again to really focus on the LFE but I really enjoyed how it was used during my first run-through.

Archived