Kvalsvoll

The Bass EQ for Movies Thread

Spider-Man:Homecoming BEQ

5ab7e1588a149_smhpre-post.thumb.png.6d8268c3dce1096606ac33326c324a6d.png

This one really improves.  The correction is applied to the ATMOS track's 7.1 bed.  The 5.1 track is different.

Correction as follows:

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 1 (Q of 0.707), Gain +4dB - 4 filters, total gain 16dB

LCRS

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 0.5 (Q of 0.5) - 2 filters, total gain 10dB

Nearly every effect that should have more infrasonic impact improves

JSS

• Like 1

Thor:Ragnarok

5ab7e2e8dcc89_ThorRagnarokPre-Post.thumb.png.9372e65003490bd171f178e958cd95f5.png

This one improves, but it is not a night/day difference like Spider-Man above.  The arena battle's improvement is significant, but there are a few high-energy infrasonic hits at unexpected times.  Not the best BEQ, but definitely improved.

This correction is applied to the DTS-HDMA track on the BD, not the ATMOS track on the UHD.  The ATMOS track is dynamically compressed for the first hour, and is an inferior soundtrack.

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf, 17Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf, 18Hz, Slope of 1, +2dB

LCR

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf, 35Hz, Slope of 2.75, +5dB (3 filters for a total of 15dB)
  3. Low Shelf, 70Hz, Slope of 0.75, +3dB

Surrounds

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 25Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf, 26Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf, 27Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf, 28Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  6. Low Shelf, 20Hz, Slope of 0.5, +4dB

JSS

• Like 1

Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets:

5ab83ed471f1f_ValerianPre-Post.thumb.png.5fef2e09afb606d10421176df03dd92b.png

Good improvement on this one, esp the Intruder scenes.  Tough correction, lots more infra in C than in LRS.

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 17Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  3. Low Shelf 18Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  4. Low Shelf 19Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  5. Low Shelf 20Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  6. Low Shelf 34Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB
  7. Low Shelf 36Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB 
  8. Low Shelf 38Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB
  9. Low Shelf 40Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB

Center

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 30Hz, S=2.5, +3.75dB (4 filters for total of 15dB)
  3. Low Shelf 60Hz, S=0.5, +3dB

LRS

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 25Hz, S= 2.5, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf 26Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf 27Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf 28Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  6. Low Shelf 50Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  7. Low Shelf 52Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  8. Low Shelf 54Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  9. Low Shelf 56Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  10. Low Shelf 70Hz, S=0.5, +1dB

JSS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, maxmercy said:

Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets:

I did a simpler approach on this one, and found huge improvements.

Did you find any ulf at all in LCR? I remember they dropped off very high. 

LCRS were shelved away at significantly different rates, similar L/R/S, and then C was very different with more ULF.

BigMarket and escape from same was very good, as was the initial damaged ship flying over the pearls.  Significant content there.  Decent film, but like Dredd, not sure there is enough traction for a sequel.

JSS

2 hours ago, maxmercy said:

LCRS were shelved away at significantly different rates, similar L/R/S, and then C was very different with more ULF.

BigMarket and escape from same was very good, as was the initial damaged ship flying over the pearls.  Significant content there.  Decent film, but like Dredd, not sure there is enough traction for a sequel.

JSS

I liked it, simple and no-nonsense story. With spaceships and decent sound quality with BEQ, and some nice actors, what more can you wish for.

Favorite scene is where the girl is serving the king his lunch, and suddenly realizes that she is the meal..

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Pre/Post:

5ac0153514e0c_TheLastJediPre-Post.thumb.png.38a41a19dd69b6747aa92e33f7424beb.png

Significant improvement, all the effects that should have more infrasonics gain some, especially effects that are close to the viewer/camera.  Lots of infrasonic noise in the track, so the highpasses are necessary to avoid a DC offset to the track, since we boost those infrasonics so much.  The track with the below changes played back at +4dBRef (equivalent reference level) has a Dynamics score of  31.26dB, and no effect is greater than 121dB, no extended effect greater than 114dB.  Capable systems will like this correction.  

Do not apply this correction on top of a 'house curve'.  At most, a smooth 10dB rise from 20kHz to 20Hz is all that is needed.

Correction was applied to the 7.1 channel bed of the ATMOS track, the DTS track is similar, but I did not test this correction on it.

LFE:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 14Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  3. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  4. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  5. Low Shelf 17Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  6. PEQ 20Hz BW 1 octave, +3dB
  7. PEQ 65Hz BW 0.75 octave, +1.25dB
  8. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

LCR:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 20Hz Slope 1, +6dB (3 filters for 18dB total)
  3. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

Surrounds:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 40Hz Slope 1, +6dB (6 filters for 36dB total)
  3. Low Shelf 45Hz Slope 0.5, +6dB (2 filters for 12dB total)
  4. Highpass 6dB/octave 10Hz

JSS

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 1:23 AM, maxmercy said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Pre/Post:

5ac0153514e0c_TheLastJediPre-Post.thumb.png.38a41a19dd69b6747aa92e33f7424beb.png

Significant improvement, all the effects that should have more infrasonics gain some, especially effects that are close to the viewer/camera.  Lots of infrasonic noise in the track, so the highpasses are necessary to avoid a DC offset to the track, since we boost those infrasonics so much.  The track with the below changes played back at +4dBRef (equivalent reference level) has a Dynamics score of  31.26dB, and no effect is greater than 121dB, no extended effect greater than 114dB.  Capable systems will like this correction.  

Do not apply this correction on top of a 'house curve'.  At most, a smooth 10dB rise from 20kHz to 20Hz is all that is needed.

Correction was applied to the 7.1 channel bed of the ATMOS track, the DTS track is similar, but I did not test this correction on it.

LFE:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 14Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  3. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  4. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  5. Low Shelf 17Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  6. PEQ 20Hz BW 1 octave, +3dB
  7. PEQ 65Hz BW 0.75 octave, +1.25dB
  8. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

LCR:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 20Hz Slope 1, +6dB (3 filters for 18dB total)
  3. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

Surrounds:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 40Hz Slope 1, +6dB (6 filters for 36dB total)
  3. Low Shelf 45Hz Slope 0.5, +6dB (2 filters for 12dB total)
  4. Highpass 6dB/octave 10Hz

JSS

Huge gain on the LCR+Surronds here in your BEQ, also more gain on the lfe than I would assume, but now I have not seen the spectrums, an the result looks fine to me.

Just listened briefly to some scenes, and I wonder if just some boost below 20hz will do most of what is needed here. Also agree with your BEQ in that there is no need to reduce any mid-bass bump.

Huge improvement (Star Wars - The Last Jedi).

It already sounds quite good as-is, due to nice dynamics and the fact that levels are not pushed beyond clipping. But Bass-EQ improves this in a dramatic way. And you can increase mv a bit, I tried +3dB now, and that still works very well. Effects now have full frequency range, and anyone who experiences this difference will not need any abx-blind-testing to hear and FEEL this improvement. This is not about shaking the house more, it is about lifting the experience with improved sound quality.

Mid-bass level is quite moderate, so a little lift from 50hz and up may give more impact on transients.

This is exactly what sound quality is about - excitement without fatigue.

Thanks for doing this maxmercy.

Just joined, been contemplating this thread for quite some time and finally ordered a dcx2496 to implement the beq for lfe and center channels. Lfe is a PSA S7201 and two Reaction gamma 21s VNF, and i have two PSA S15s running as subs for the center channel with a 210C sitting on top. I also have four um18s in sealed 4cuft flatpacks and two berry ep4000s, hopefully I can use the third channel of the 2496 to implement eq for those.

4 hours ago, Pradeep said:

Thanks for doing this maxmercy.

Just joined, been contemplating this thread for quite some time and finally ordered a dcx2496 to implement the beq for lfe and center channels. Lfe is a PSA S7201 and two Reaction gamma 21s VNF, and i have two PSA S15s running as subs for the center channel with a 210C sitting on top. I also have four um18s in sealed 4cuft flatpacks and two berry ep4000s, hopefully I can use the third channel of the 2496 to implement eq for those.

Mmmm...

A gear list like that makes me get a fizzy sensation somewhere behind my penis but not in my prostate.

Does anyone else get a fizzy sensation behind their penis or is it just me?

🤣

Glad you got a tingle Infrasonic :)

Got the 2496 hooked up, pc cable wont be here till tomorrow so I floundered around with the on unit controls. I think I've managed to get input A going to output 1 (S7201) and input B going to output 3 (gamma 21s), with outputs 1, 3 and 6 linked. I havent figured out multiple filters yet so I put a low shelf at 20Hz, 15db on output 1. Was watching the Jurassic Park 4k disk and really couldnt feel too much of a difference, but just put the Oblivion bluray on and holy crap I should have tried this sooner. Can't wait to get to grips with it more and be able to implement the eq as recommended. Im not running very loud on main volume so while theres significant excursion I'm not at the limits.

Lol... guess there aren't enough Top Gear fans reading. 😛

Yeah, Oblivion has got a nice amount of sub-20hz bass good for a Bass-EQ for sure. The Jurassic Park movies, not so much real deep stuff. Not sure which JP movie you were watching. I think JP3 has the most powerful deep bass of all of them.

It was JP1, MrGrey posted the graphs from all four of the 4k releases on avs and 1 and 2 both have rapid rolloff starting at 30Hz. Moreso than the bluray versions. Maybe it can be recovered once you guys have done your magic :) 3 and 4 look pretty solid.