The Bass EQ for Movies Thread

Kvalsvoll

Spider-Man:Homecoming BEQ

5ab7e1588a149_smhpre-post.thumb.png.6d8268c3dce1096606ac33326c324a6d.png

This one really improves.  The correction is applied to the ATMOS track's 7.1 bed.  The 5.1 track is different.

Correction as follows:

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 1 (Q of 0.707), Gain +4dB - 4 filters, total gain 16dB

LCRS

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 0.5 (Q of 0.5) - 2 filters, total gain 10dB

Nearly every effect that should have more infrasonic impact improves

JSS

• Like 1

Thor:Ragnarok

5ab7e2e8dcc89_ThorRagnarokPre-Post.thumb.png.9372e65003490bd171f178e958cd95f5.png

This one improves, but it is not a night/day difference like Spider-Man above.  The arena battle's improvement is significant, but there are a few high-energy infrasonic hits at unexpected times.  Not the best BEQ, but definitely improved.

This correction is applied to the DTS-HDMA track on the BD, not the ATMOS track on the UHD.  The ATMOS track is dynamically compressed for the first hour, and is an inferior soundtrack.

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf, 17Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf, 18Hz, Slope of 1, +2dB

LCR

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf, 35Hz, Slope of 2.75, +5dB (3 filters for a total of 15dB)
  3. Low Shelf, 70Hz, Slope of 0.75, +3dB

Surrounds

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 25Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf, 26Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf, 27Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf, 28Hz, Slope of 1, +6dB
  6. Low Shelf, 20Hz, Slope of 0.5, +4dB

JSS

• Like 1

Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets:

5ab83ed471f1f_ValerianPre-Post.thumb.png.5fef2e09afb606d10421176df03dd92b.png

Good improvement on this one, esp the Intruder scenes.  Tough correction, lots more infra in C than in LRS.

LFE

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 17Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  3. Low Shelf 18Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  4. Low Shelf 19Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  5. Low Shelf 20Hz, S=2.5, +3dB
  6. Low Shelf 34Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB
  7. Low Shelf 36Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB 
  8. Low Shelf 38Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB
  9. Low Shelf 40Hz, S=0.5, +0.75dB

Center

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 30Hz, S=2.5, +3.75dB (4 filters for total of 15dB)
  3. Low Shelf 60Hz, S=0.5, +3dB

LRS

1. Gain -7dB
  2. Low Shelf 25Hz, S= 2.5, +6dB
  3. Low Shelf 26Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  4. Low Shelf 27Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  5. Low Shelf 28Hz, S=2.5, +6dB
  6. Low Shelf 50Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  7. Low Shelf 52Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  8. Low Shelf 54Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  9. Low Shelf 56Hz, S=0.5, +1dB
  10. Low Shelf 70Hz, S=0.5, +1dB

JSS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LCRS were shelved away at significantly different rates, similar L/R/S, and then C was very different with more ULF.

BigMarket and escape from same was very good, as was the initial damaged ship flying over the pearls.  Significant content there.  Decent film, but like Dredd, not sure there is enough traction for a sequel.

JSS

2 hours ago, maxmercy said:

LCRS were shelved away at significantly different rates, similar L/R/S, and then C was very different with more ULF.

BigMarket and escape from same was very good, as was the initial damaged ship flying over the pearls.  Significant content there.  Decent film, but like Dredd, not sure there is enough traction for a sequel.

JSS

I liked it, simple and no-nonsense story. With spaceships and decent sound quality with BEQ, and some nice actors, what more can you wish for.

Favorite scene is where the girl is serving the king his lunch, and suddenly realizes that she is the meal..

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Pre/Post:

5ac0153514e0c_TheLastJediPre-Post.thumb.png.38a41a19dd69b6747aa92e33f7424beb.png

Significant improvement, all the effects that should have more infrasonics gain some, especially effects that are close to the viewer/camera.  Lots of infrasonic noise in the track, so the highpasses are necessary to avoid a DC offset to the track, since we boost those infrasonics so much.  The track with the below changes played back at +4dBRef (equivalent reference level) has a Dynamics score of  31.26dB, and no effect is greater than 121dB, no extended effect greater than 114dB.  Capable systems will like this correction.  

Do not apply this correction on top of a 'house curve'.  At most, a smooth 10dB rise from 20kHz to 20Hz is all that is needed.

Correction was applied to the 7.1 channel bed of the ATMOS track, the DTS track is similar, but I did not test this correction on it.

LFE:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 14Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  3. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  4. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  5. Low Shelf 17Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  6. PEQ 20Hz BW 1 octave, +3dB
  7. PEQ 65Hz BW 0.75 octave, +1.25dB
  8. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

LCR:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 20Hz Slope 1, +6dB (3 filters for 18dB total)
  3. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

Surrounds:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 40Hz Slope 1, +6dB (6 filters for 36dB total)
  3. Low Shelf 45Hz Slope 0.5, +6dB (2 filters for 12dB total)
  4. Highpass 6dB/octave 10Hz

JSS

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2018 at 1:23 AM, maxmercy said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Pre/Post:

5ac0153514e0c_TheLastJediPre-Post.thumb.png.38a41a19dd69b6747aa92e33f7424beb.png

Significant improvement, all the effects that should have more infrasonics gain some, especially effects that are close to the viewer/camera.  Lots of infrasonic noise in the track, so the highpasses are necessary to avoid a DC offset to the track, since we boost those infrasonics so much.  The track with the below changes played back at +4dBRef (equivalent reference level) has a Dynamics score of  31.26dB, and no effect is greater than 121dB, no extended effect greater than 114dB.  Capable systems will like this correction.  

Do not apply this correction on top of a 'house curve'.  At most, a smooth 10dB rise from 20kHz to 20Hz is all that is needed.

Correction was applied to the 7.1 channel bed of the ATMOS track, the DTS track is similar, but I did not test this correction on it.

LFE:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 14Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  3. Low Shelf 15Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  4. Low Shelf 16Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  5. Low Shelf 17Hz, Slope 1, +5dB
  6. PEQ 20Hz BW 1 octave, +3dB
  7. PEQ 65Hz BW 0.75 octave, +1.25dB
  8. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

LCR:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 20Hz Slope 1, +6dB (3 filters for 18dB total)
  3. Highpass 6dB/octave 3Hz

Surrounds:

1. Gain -4dB
  2. Low Shelf 40Hz Slope 1, +6dB (6 filters for 36dB total)
  3. Low Shelf 45Hz Slope 0.5, +6dB (2 filters for 12dB total)
  4. Highpass 6dB/octave 10Hz

JSS

Huge gain on the LCR+Surronds here in your BEQ, also more gain on the lfe than I would assume, but now I have not seen the spectrums, an the result looks fine to me.

Just listened briefly to some scenes, and I wonder if just some boost below 20hz will do most of what is needed here. Also agree with your BEQ in that there is no need to reduce any mid-bass bump.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge improvement (Star Wars - The Last Jedi).

It already sounds quite good as-is, due to nice dynamics and the fact that levels are not pushed beyond clipping. But Bass-EQ improves this in a dramatic way. And you can increase mv a bit, I tried +3dB now, and that still works very well. Effects now have full frequency range, and anyone who experiences this difference will not need any abx-blind-testing to hear and FEEL this improvement. This is not about shaking the house more, it is about lifting the experience with improved sound quality.

Mid-bass level is quite moderate, so a little lift from 50hz and up may give more impact on transients.

This is exactly what sound quality is about - excitement without fatigue.

Thanks for doing this maxmercy.

Just joined, been contemplating this thread for quite some time and finally ordered a dcx2496 to implement the beq for lfe and center channels. Lfe is a PSA S7201 and two Reaction gamma 21s VNF, and i have two PSA S15s running as subs for the center channel with a 210C sitting on top. I also have four um18s in sealed 4cuft flatpacks and two berry ep4000s, hopefully I can use the third channel of the 2496 to implement eq for those.

4 hours ago, Pradeep said:

Thanks for doing this maxmercy.

Just joined, been contemplating this thread for quite some time and finally ordered a dcx2496 to implement the beq for lfe and center channels. Lfe is a PSA S7201 and two Reaction gamma 21s VNF, and i have two PSA S15s running as subs for the center channel with a 210C sitting on top. I also have four um18s in sealed 4cuft flatpacks and two berry ep4000s, hopefully I can use the third channel of the 2496 to implement eq for those.

Mmmm...

A gear list like that makes me get a fizzy sensation somewhere behind my penis but not in my prostate.

Does anyone else get a fizzy sensation behind their penis or is it just me?

?

Glad you got a tingle Infrasonic :)

Got the 2496 hooked up, pc cable wont be here till tomorrow so I floundered around with the on unit controls. I think I've managed to get input A going to output 1 (S7201) and input B going to output 3 (gamma 21s), with outputs 1, 3 and 6 linked. I havent figured out multiple filters yet so I put a low shelf at 20Hz, 15db on output 1. Was watching the Jurassic Park 4k disk and really couldnt feel too much of a difference, but just put the Oblivion bluray on and holy crap I should have tried this sooner. Can't wait to get to grips with it more and be able to implement the eq as recommended. Im not running very loud on main volume so while theres significant excursion I'm not at the limits.

Lol... guess there aren't enough Top Gear fans reading. ?

Yeah, Oblivion has got a nice amount of sub-20hz bass good for a Bass-EQ for sure. The Jurassic Park movies, not so much real deep stuff. Not sure which JP movie you were watching. I think JP3 has the most powerful deep bass of all of them.

It was JP1, MrGrey posted the graphs from all four of the 4k releases on avs and 1 and 2 both have rapid rolloff starting at 30Hz. Moreso than the bluray versions. Maybe it can be recovered once you guys have done your magic :) 3 and 4 look pretty solid.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, Pradeep said:

It was JP1, MrGrey posted the graphs from all four of the 4k releases on avs and 1 and 2 both have rapid rolloff starting at 30Hz. Moreso than the bluray versions. Maybe it can be recovered once you guys have done your magic :) 3 and 4 look pretty solid.

There might not be much recoverable with 1 and 2.  They were mixed on analog consoles in the early to mid 90's.  Infransonic content didn't start appearing in movies until around 1999.  JP3 was release in 2002

• Like 1

Thanks minnjd

The blurays for 1 and 2 sounded pretty solid with a 15db low shelf at 20Hz. 

Then I played Star Trek 2009 with those settings, wife was not pleased when i went upstairs afterwards. Sounded tremendous in the basement :) I think I need to just mute the four um18s when shes home.

• 3 weeks later...

The dcx2496 has some limitations. Three inputs being one. Can the Motu 24Ai be used to feed in analog 11.1 from a receiver and then output 11.1 back out after eq? Or do I need the Motu 24Ao unit for the analog output channels? Will be monitored/controlled via PC and prob jriver for the eq but would like to still be able to throw a 4k disk in the player and watch.

Edit to add: ok so the 16A can do 16 in and 16 out and is $1500, otherwise 24 in and 24 out with the 24Ao and 24 Ai for $2000.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, Infrasonic said:

Mmmm...

A gear list like that makes me get a fizzy sensation somewhere behind my penis but not in my prostate.

Does anyone else get a fizzy sensation behind their penis or is it just me?

?

for reference...

https://youtu.be/hcOwz99GS4c

I'm right there with ya. Definitely have experienced the "fizz" with cars, even some proper subwoofers...

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2018 at 5:23 PM, maxmercy said:

Do you know how similar the two tracks really are?  I tested this out on the DTS track (no UHD here yet), and I'm seeing (post EQ) levels that are hotter than I'd expect, even for BEQ.  One of the effects (SPOILER: select text to reveal <<< the destruction of Leia's ship >>>) clips not just the amps but my digital processor, which is pretty extreme.  Note that my digital domain headroom is not based on 7.1 WCS but rather is a few dB higher than that required to drive the amp to max voltage.  The PvA doesn't look *that* crazy.  Are these just examples of extremely ULF-heavy broadband effects?  Overall, the effects also seem a bit bottom heavy, and some of the ambiance and tension ULF seems rather overkill.

Since I don't really how the tracks compare and can't measure them right now, I'm thinking of proportionally scaling back the correction until I have enough headroom and/or the bottom sounds a bit more balanced again.  Perhaps it's another case, as with "Thor: Ragnorok", in which the two tracks are have substantially different bass profiles?

Edit: I dialed back the BEQ to 75% (in terms of dB) and also made some minor broad shape adjustments (> 100 Hz), and the mid-bass slam is back and proper.  I presume the latter changes were more important, but this BEQ was just too much for my system.  Even at 75%, the aforementioned scene as well as (SPOILER: select text to reveal <<< Phasma falling into the flames >>> still clip in the amps at my chosen playback level.  There's still plenty of infra power all over the place.  Very nice!

The overall level on the track is lower than typical, and I find it to be completely comfortable at MV "0" (equivalent to "-2" after dialnorm).  The mixer must have liked less loudness or else his monitors sounded overly loud to him.  Either way, the soundtrack quality is superb, easily better than TFA.

Edit2: I watched this all the way through with the DTS 7.1 track at MV "0" (-2 with dialnorm) with guests and 75% of the correction applied.  There was tremendous infra, but it honestly seemed a bit repetitive with almost every effect being very bottom heavy.  The bigger on-screen events were rather disappointing because the effects were the same or weaker than for many other lesser events.  Since I still don't know how close the PvA on the DTS track is to the Atmos track, I have no idea if my track was corrected as intended.  Maybe the DTS track is ramped more aggressively or rolls off less in the ULF.

The most impressive effect was the  latter of the two scenes mentioned above that clips my amp, which unfortunately seemed only vaguely connected to anything obviously big on-screen.  I don't know what frequency the effect focused on (mid teens?), but it was downright violent.  I felt like my body was being tossed around like a jet flying through turbulence or something.

Edited by SME

This track should not come close to 128dB WCS, largest peak on the ATMOS BEQ is 121dB.  The BEQ after-gain for dialogue matching is only 4dB, not the usual 7.  

Watching this BEQ at '0' would yield a peak of 124dB (

I did not apply the correction to the DTS track to see how it would do, but I do know the DTS track had a lower Crest Factor.

I chose the ATMOS track to BEQ since it had the more dynamics of the two.  

There must be a substantial difference that PvA and simple wav stats do not show to have had that large an effect to clip your setup.

JSS

Pacific Rim: Uprising tentative BEQ:

272228408_PacRimUprisingPre-Post.thumb.png.5f1deadb5babb7eb4b7c3d9261a354bf.png

That 10Hz hit skews a lot of the spectrum.  It is in an emotion-charged scene.  Will screen it soon and report back.

Lots of Infrasonics embedded in the LCRS in this one, which constructively make the PvA look very different from the LFE-only PvA.

JSS