BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not reached that scene yet. I played the initial crash in the beginning and it hit 11.1 amps. That looks like it may tax the AVS 2000. If I can play all these scenes hot then I will keep it but if it shuts down no dice. I just think it is cool for something to actually show the output but for retail not worth it. It says 120 volts and 15 amps continuous, I will put that to the test. Is that 126 dB's from running hot or the way it is recorded? I have my subs 10 dB's hot and I would for sure shut it down trying to reach 136 dB's. I have a DIY 20 amp triggered outlet I usually use.

If you clock total pressure with an SPL meter, it depends on your frequency response because the meter will always clock peaks, especially if the FR peaks at the mic happen to correspond to the content center.

In any case, Interstellar has a few scenes that seem to last forever at ball-breakin' levels and, like the end scene in Earth To Echo, should clock higher V/A numbers than the beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow. I'm curious to see your results.

+10dB hot with interstellar is pretty brutal. Since I ran the speclab/RS meter of the scene before tweaks it was probably 2-3dB hot with MVL at reference. If you run the movie at +10dB hot, LMK what the V/A readout is.

If you clock total pressure with an SPL meter, it depends on your frequency response because the meter will always clock peaks, especially if the FR peaks at the mic happen to correspond to the content center.

In any case, Interstellar has a few scenes that seem to last forever at ball-breakin' levels and, like the end scene in Earth To Echo, should clock higher V/A numbers than the beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow. I'm curious to see your results.

+10dB hot with interstellar is pretty brutal. Since I ran the speclab/RS meter of the scene before tweaks it was probably 2-3dB hot with MVL at reference. If you run the movie at +10dB hot, LMK what the V/A readout is.

Yes, watching that on my own and around 10dB hot was intense. The passages between the intensity and the dead silence is just awesome IMO. It's like the SE said "We know that could have injured some of you in different ways, here is some dead silence to let you recover...."

Man, it's been a frustrating several months. Re-routed shipments, suppliers discontinuing product with no notification, huge jumps in prices for some items, etc.

West coast labor problems sent the drivers through the Panama canal to the east coast where they were set aside for blah, blah, blah. Went to the distributor for more front panel perforated leather material... gone and not getting any more in. Ordered more bamboo cladding... discontinued. My last order cleaned them out and they said nothing about it to me. The rubber bumpers for the baffle caps... +1,600% price increase.

After dealing with all of that crapola... New front panel perf leather, new supplier for the rubber bumpers, drivers all arrived, safe and sound, etc... FINALLY, production has continued...

242222c271f3cef234506342a99eaa4a.png

We've ordered a new 3KW class D amp for testing the new Raptor single enclosure 2x15 with a single switchable Raptor curve built in. Target around $1900. Should be fun testing it. Should be a great sub for those who've asked for such a beast over the past couple of years. I've hesitated to build it because the market for a single 2x15 sub seemed crowded with bang-for-buck options and that was never something that interested me. A Raptor version should easily rule that roost, IMO (and in real numbers as well ;)  ). Will be testing Raptor Systems 2&3 over the next couple of weeks then they'll be ready to ship.

Heading soon to Nick's to see if we can't get him to build some drivers for a special edition run of Blackbirds. That should be a visit for the archives. :P

I like it when shit gets done and hate standstill. :D

Just thought I'd shout it out because I'm crackin' open a brew and feelin' alright right about now. :lol:

Man, it's been a frustrating several months. Re-routed shipments, suppliers discontinuing product with no notification, huge jumps in prices for some items, etc.

West coast labor problems sent the drivers through the Panama canal to the east coast where they were set aside for blah, blah, blah. Went to the distributor for more front panel perforated leather material... gone and not getting any more in. Ordered more bamboo cladding... discontinued. My last order cleaned them out and they said nothing about it to me. The rubber bumpers for the baffle caps... +1,600% price increase.

After dealing with all of that crapola... New front panel perf leather, new supplier for the rubber bumpers, drivers all arrived, safe and sound, etc... FINALLY, production has continued...Heading soon to Nick's to see if we can't get him to build some drivers for a special edition run of Blackbirds. That should be a visit for the archives. :P

Well, that certainly explains where my BB has been for the past 6 months! :)   What a colossal PITA that must have been.  Hopefully everything works out for you going forward.  I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating that is (continues to be?).

Hey Dave, I ran that scene and left the MV on reference like EoT and I hit 11.56 amps with 120 volts. My clone was barely touching the 4th LED. This most likely has to do with my IB setup and I don't require much power. My sims show 3200 watts would be pushing my IB to Xmax limits so not to far off, about 3-4 dB's of headroom left except I am not sure where my room has an effect on the sims. The sims show me I am down 9 dB's at 5 hz from 10hz but I am flat in room or even a rise so less power is required even further. Anymore than this(10 dB's hot) and the room will give first.

Hey Dave, I ran that scene and left the MV on reference like EoT and I hit 11.56 amps with 120 volts. My clone was barely touching the 4th LED. This most likely has to do with my IB setup and I don't require much power. My sims show 3200 watts would be pushing my IB to Xmax limits so not to far off, about 3-4 dB's of headroom left except I am not sure where my room has an effect on the sims. The sims show me I am down 9 dB's at 5 hz from 10hz but I am flat in room or even a rise so less power is required even further. Anymore than this(10 dB's hot) and the room will give first.

Oh, I see now that your gizmo is monitoring the mains power. I thought it was measuring the amp's output at the subs. Sorry for the confusion.

You know I'm not a fan of sims. Transients are all but impossible to measure and just as difficult to reproduce through a typical subwoofer system. Sims don't address the situation, even remotely. Neither do current sine wave-based tests.

A dozen 18s in 2k cubes should handle the SPL part of the equation. :P

Yeah, the sims are not even close to what I achieve in room. The monster power center is fancy outlet. It is supposed to be a voltage stabilizer and then shows you volts on the left, correction in the center, and then amps on the right. I am not sure what amps it is measuring but my sub amp is plugged in to it an my speakers are plugged into a different one. Running Insterstellar 10 dBs hot did not shut it down. I have to try HTTYD and Lone survivor an see I it shuts down, if not, I will keep them just for the cool factor and they are triggered outlets as well.

Well, that certainly explains where my BB has been for the past 6 months! :)   What a colossal PITA that must have been.  Hopefully everything works out for you going forward.  I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating that is (continues to be?).

Yes.

Many times I think I should just order a container of black cubes, the latest hot-sell plate amp and some off-the-shelf Eminence-type drivers and go back to AVS and launch one of those million-hit threads that are full of enough baloney to keep the entire prison population in sandwiches for a year.

Naaaaahhhh. :P There's enough of those choices and then some.

The problem with small scale production is having to scour the earth for off the shelf products to combine them into a unique product. You just can't control the availability of those different parts.

For example, if you count the drivers as a single piece, there are over 180 parts in a system 3 dual stack and that's not counting the A-14K or the SEQSS. If any one of those parts suddenly becomes unavailable for any number of reasons such as the manufacturer has gone belly up or was acquired and the new owner axes the particular product, etc., that causes a chain reaction that halts production until the solution is found or the end product gets a re-design.

So much for the just-in-time delivery method of assembly of the parts. :blink:  In the end, it's pretty cool to see one of a kind product that's designed with every part having a specific goal instead of the quickest, cheapest way to point B that looks like everyone else's, plays havoc with the environment and gets tossed aside for the "all new" version next year.

Just a rant. Nothing to see here, move along... B)

Yeah, the sims are not even close to what I achieve in room. The monster power center is fancy outlet. It is supposed to be a voltage stabilizer and then shows you volts on the left, correction in the center, and then amps on the right. I am not sure what amps it is measuring but my sub amp is plugged in to it an my speakers are plugged into a different one. Running Insterstellar 10 dBs hot did not shut it down. I have to try HTTYD and Lone survivor an see I it shuts down, if not, I will keep them just for the cool factor and they are triggered outlets as well.

Gotcha. Sounds pretty nice. I've used the Tripp Lite mains correction since the ProLogic days in the mid 90s. It basically corrects line sag, to a degree. It just has Red, Green and Amber lights to show the situation.

Lots different frrom measuring the amp's output in voltage and current peaks. ;)

Also, I wanted to ask a favor. Please abbreviate "decibels" properly as dB (correct), not dB's (incorrect). Otherwise, I'm gonna hafta fly up there and make you watch my head explode. :o:P:D

Seriously, you have a lot to contribute. IMHO, proper terminology adds credibility at zero cost.

Also, I wanted to ask a favor. Please abbreviate "decibels" properly as dB (correct), not dB's (incorrect). Otherwise, I'm gonna hafta fly up there and make you watch my head explode. 

But I'm not sure even MK's basement can generate enough dB's for that to happen.  I mean it would take a SH*TLOAD of dBs!!  Like more dB's than any of us have just lying around our HTs....I sure as hell cannot pull off that many dBs, I would be like 80dB's short....you're talking like Claymore Mine dBs to make a head explode...you know, like Krakatoa many dB's....Maybe even Ivy Mike-alicious dBs!!!!

Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that.  Pick your brain matter up off the floor, retrieve the keyboard and mouse from your front yard, patch up the window they flew through w/ duct tape and a trash bag and laugh.  Or not, in which case I'll be on the lookout for an exploding bossobasshead.

JSS

But I'm not sure even MK's basement can generate enough dB's for that to happen.  I mean it would take a SH*TLOAD of dBs!!  Like more dB's than any of us have just lying around our HTs....I sure as hell cannot pull off that many dBs, I would be like 80dB's short....you're talking like Claymore Mine dBs to make a head explode...you know, like Krakatoa many dB's....Maybe even Ivy Mike-alicious dBs!!!!

Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that.  Pick your brain matter up off the floor, retrieve the keyboard and mouse from your front yard, patch up the window they flew through w/ duct tape and a trash bag and laugh.  Or not, in which case I'll be on the lookout for an exploding bossobasshead.

JSS

FINALLY, someone who gets it. :lol: Play nice or I'll head to the content forum and start a thread about how the current metric needs to be changed entirely because... well, just because.

It gets pretty boring these days, what with PC and text messaging. My head's already about halfway there so James' HT would do the rick with little coaxing of the MV control.

Adam's as well. They both run +10dB hot. We should hold a shootout at James', then fly to Adam's and then vote.

BTW, Adam, where ya bin dood? You were supposed to report back on your marathon movie watching weekend.

FINALLY, someone who gets it. :lol: Play nice or I'll head to the content forum and start a thread about how the current metric needs to be changed entirely because... well, just because.

Them's fightin' words....strange thing about the metrics....I've had it in me to change the damned things a few times, but then I think of the red-ass I'd get updating things....and I think otherwise.

JSS

Dat bass darned killed him, B.

Scott Dawg!!!! Can you believe I JUST NOW figured out who Infrasonic is??? Awesome. I'll hafta go back and read every post of yours now that I know they're from as high an authority as yourself.

Them's fightin' words....strange thing about the metrics....I've had it in me to change the damned things a few times, but then I think of the red-ass I'd get updating things....and I think otherwise.

JSS

Yeah, you've come a long way, baby. B)  Changing now would hurt.

Scott Dawg!!!! Can you believe I JUST NOW figured out who Infrasonic is??? Awesome. I'll hafta go back and read every post of yours now that I know they're from as high an authority as yourself.

Seriously Dave?...How could you not know? Look at the freaking avatar man!

It gets pretty boring these days, what with PC and text messaging. My head's already about halfway there so James' HT would do the rick with little coaxing of the MV control.

Adam's as well. They both run +10dB hot. We should hold a shootout at James', then fly to Adam's and then vote.

BTW, Adam, where ya bin dood? You were supposed to report back on your marathon movie watching weekend.

I can win that game. Remember this?

bf108d96_9df2cbae7b5356c30ce91662b3a584c

This is how we roll 'roun here......

Haha! No worries, bud. :)

Lol. All this time you're all like, "This fucking asshole..."

:P

Archived