BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

WOW.....what a system. Alas I find where Bosso has been hiding. Many questions but just want to say thanks for all the pics so far. I will have to send Bosso an email also asking a few things.

Getting ready to start another sub build this year and think I will need to do another sealed system. :D Maybe a System 1 Blackbird. LOL

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll wait for the specs, but what is vertical dispersion like?  Is the reflector curved in 2 dimensions, or is it a cylinder (in the pure, basic definition, not the right-circular we are used to calling 'cylinder')?

JSS

That's the first question that popped in my head. Diffraction effects from the mid-high unit also.

I'll wait for the specs, but what is vertical dispersion like?  Is the reflector curved in 2 dimensions, or is it a cylinder (in the pure, basic definition, not the right-circular we are used to calling 'cylinder')?

JSS

That's the first question that popped in my head. Diffraction effects from the mid-high unit also.

That's all you get for now. :ph34r:

Bottom line for me is that if those weird looking horns everyone is enamored of worked, I'd just do that and call it a day. But, they don't. In the graph posted above the high end is down -15dB at 45 degrees off axis horizontally. That is stupid audible and radically changes the sonic signature.

IMO, vertical dispersion in a multi channel system is irrelevant. Also, diffraction is no more a problem to be solved than with other multi-way loudspeakers and is not a problem with anti-horn. Explanation and measurements will follow when it's appropriate.

WOW.....what a system. Alas I find where Bosso has been hiding. Many questions but just want to say thanks for all the pics so far. I will have to send Bosso an email also asking a few things.

Getting ready to start another sub build this year and think I will need to do another sealed system. :D Maybe a System 1 Blackbird. LOL

Awesome to read you, young man.

Email sent Bosso. Tried sending you an email by the contact linkbut I dont have Gmail or use yahoo much. I sent you one anyways and hopefully you at least received it. Sorry for the long winded email. :D

Madaeel did say you have two systems or three?

If I said yes my wife would slap me haha. That is her baby.

Dave and Paul custom made that for her along with its own SEQSS and we're using a FP9K amp for ample power. The drivers in it are custom as well. I really can't put into words how amazing it is. Jazzy just stared at the Minka BB when I brought it home for 15 minutes. She didn't listen to it at all and was again speechless. She just smiles every time she looks at it.

I cannot say enough about how amazing Dave and Paul are. Their work is second to none and the performance cannot be beat for the money unless you go DIY. Even then that's not a guarantee. Good luck trying to get them to look even close to their subs. IOW if you can afford them they're worth every penny.

I just wish I had space for the Condor. :)

Ah ok. I sent Dave an email but the contact link was a bit confusing so hopefully it went through.

I will be looking at doing four 15's myself but everythnig moves very slow for me and living in OZ.(Australia) Wifey would like the smaller height of the blackbirds while I like the displacement ofthe Raptor. I have a D>O sealed sono I built a few years back cloned on Bosso's design. It is just a carcas but I could put it back in the living room and see what she thinks. It is about 20" tall so right smack in the middle.

Either way I hope to hear more about these new designs and see what my pocket can afford. Then I can finally be done with my indoors subwoofer builds. and pull out the CC for BR purchases. :D

I havent watched almost any of the top rated bass movies since Inredible Hulk came out. PLUS my system wasnt properly dialed in when I did watch that film. Still needed signal shaping. And the MiniDSP that I purchased I could never get to work. So thats still floating some where in a box. SO this thread is at least bringing back my desire to finish my subwoofers system off with a "completed," system and be done.

Your screen name seems familiar. Is it the same on AVS or you go by something else?

If your room isn't that big you could easily go with the BB's. One more in my open living room would be brutal. If it weren't for the crappy building materials I wouldn't lose as much low end but with one more it wouldn't matter anyway. My downstairs is roughly 8000cuft give or take and just two BB's would be enough. If my living room were bigger I'd love to do a BB system 3. Something about two towers of those gorgeous cabs with 8 15's in each appeals to the basshead in me.

If the wife says ok for the Raptors then yah I'd go that route if you can only do two cabs. Funny thing is if I had just a Raptor system 2 I'd only be down 6db so I'd lose some headroom but I would only notice since I run so hot. They prolly would cruise in your room. ;)

I use this avatar on both AVS and HTS forums. Although I am not sure AVS still has my Avatar since the change came in. I used to play bass guitar for years. Before that I played saxophone and a lot of jazz then. Love classical and all forms of music for the most part.

That being said is the reason I have always been so picky with subwoofers.

And my room is about 2500cuft. But has a 3m x 1.5m window.(Hpass filter) And the room is not completely closed off. It is open  to the rest of the house. Also these wont be directly in the corners. That being said I dont tend to listen to my bass hot at all. At times I had to see what they could do but the house is just makes even more noise.

I also like it when the subs are on but not really noticed until called upon. My old THT did that very well. BUT for me it is trying to find a system that plays the sound track how it is supposed to sound. Unless it needs PEQ from Maxmercy because the ULF is lacking.:D

Also one of my favorite subwofer system was my old EAW subwoofers. In about 15000cuft the pair of dual 18 subwoofers could shake your pants when called for.  That was when I knew what I wanted for my HT. BUT then comes reality, family(four children 6-15) and the realization of what it takes to do 5hz. So with space limitations also what better than a BB system.

Did you finally get your Oppo yet?

I still have to decide which route I want to do as far as the BR and down signal chain. I prefer to limit the electronics as much as I can. So if an Oppo 103 MiniDSP and power amps works then I am going that route.

You're considering the 103 over the 105?

I am still torn over losing my AVR's XT32 and going Analogue Out direct to the amps from an Oppo, and wondering whether the 103 will be indistinguishable from the 105 if I do! lol. The 105 is not cheap...

MemX remember I have four children.....:D So for me I can only really look at the 103. I just cant afford the 105. BUT I thought someone said it could be done with the 103 or it didnt have enough signal or something  else. IDK. I personally would love to just build a HTPC with balaced outs if I knew what to buy.

Was looking at selling my old AVR with Audyssey. I dont like it enough to be worried about parting with it. I am a very big fan of Dirac Live but so many new technologies keep coming out that I cant keep up. BUT just give me the Bosso recipe for simplicity and accuracy for signal chain and I will save for the components.

I use this avatar on both AVS and HTS forums. Although I am not sure AVS still has my Avatar since the change came in. I used to play bass guitar for years. Before that I played saxophone and a lot of jazz then. Love classical and all forms of music for the most part.

That being said is the reason I have always been so picky with subwoofers.

And my room is about 2500cuft. But has a 3m x 1.5m window.(Hpass filter) And the room is not completely closed off. It is open  to the rest of the house. Also these wont be directly in the corners. That being said I dont tend to listen to my bass hot at all. At times I had to see what they could do but the house is just makes even more noise.

I also like it when the subs are on but not really noticed until called upon. My old THT did that very well. BUT for me it is trying to find a system that plays the sound track how it is supposed to sound. Unless it needs PEQ from Maxmercy because the ULF is lacking. :D

Also one of my favorite subwofer system was my old EAW subwoofers. In about 15000cuft the pair of dual 18 subwoofers could shake your pants when called for.  That was when I knew what I wanted for my HT. BUT then comes reality, family(four children 6-15) and the realization of what it takes to do 5hz. So with space limitations also what better than a BB system.

Did you finally get your Oppo yet?

I still have to decide which route I want to do as far as the BR and down signal chain. I prefer to limit the electronics as much as I can. So if an Oppo 103 MiniDSP and power amps works then I am going that route.

Yah I thought I remembered that name. Couldn't remember what you had though. I prolly remember you mentioning the THT. Don't recall the EAW's though. Any pics or a link?

If you're picky than the BB's or Raptors should satisfy you. I will say if possible I'd save a little more and get the Raptors just because you can only do two cabs and they have the displacement you'd need in that room. The BB's might be fine in that room too but it's alwasy better to have some headroom. Even though your room is open, 2500cuft should be easy to pressurize. Dave's room isn't closed either. There's a stairway that leads to the kitchen with no doors on either end and he has no problems getting to 3hz so that's not a deal breaker.

No Oppo yet. My wife and I are getting close to paying the basement off and once that's done I might pick it up, but I can't get over the two HDMI inputs. Plus one of them is a front panel input. Would be nice to bring up that low end though. :)

Hey Dave,

Yes, I got your e-mail. But, I just found out that there have been problems with my outgoing mail server. So, ping me back when you get the e-mail so I know you got it.

Adam,

I should be around this weekend. I may get invited across the street to watch the playoff games, since the Panthers are in one more gane at least. If so, just leave a message and I'll ping you back.

I'm still struggling with which movie is the year's best for 2014. Anyone check out the scene at the end of Ch 6 with CA standing in front of the vending machine?

Yah I'll be watching that too so Sunday night might be better. You guys' defense is nasty right now. If Cam played just a little better they'd be pretty damn hard to beat. I wouldn't mind seeing Seattle lose either. ;)

I'm so far behind on movies it's not even funny so it's hard for me to judge. I'm gonna try to watch Gravity and Xmen this weekend. Hell I still didin't even watch EoT. Just the intro. I'll have to check out that CA scene though. Man I need like a week or two off to get caught up.

I just ran a spectrograph of it. It's one of those little scenes that most subs don't catch the impact of and the effect appears randomly. There are no explosions, etc. It just comes out of nowhere and has the ULF wobble.

CA_ch6.png

I also ran a quick FR at the mic and switched REW to a linear graph to overlay it on the linear SL graph.

Anyway, LMK when you get around to watching it. It's at the very end of chapter 6, right be fore it changes to chapter 7. Right after the chich says "You're a terrible liar".

Hey Dave,

Yes, I got your e-mail. But, I just found out that there have been problems with my outgoing mail server. So, ping me back when you get the e-mail so I know you got it.

Adam,

I should be around this weekend. I may get invited across the street to watch the playoff games, since the Panthers are in one more gane at least. If so, just leave a message and I'll ping you back.

I'm still struggling with which movie is the year's best for 2014. Anyone check out the scene at the end of Ch 6 with CA standing in front of the vending machine?

Yah I thought I remembered that name. Couldn't remember what you had though. I prolly remember you mentioning the THT. Don't recall the EAW's though. Any pics or a link?

If you're picky than the BB's or Raptors should satisfy you. I will say if possible I'd save a little more and get the Raptors just because you can only do two cabs and they have the displacement you'd need in that room. The BB's might be fine in that room too but it's alwasy better to have some headroom. Even though your room is open, 2500cuft should be easy to pressurize. Dave's room isn't closed either. There's a stairway that leads to the kitchen with no doors on either end and he has no problems getting to 3hz so that's not a deal breaker.

No Oppo yet. My wife and I are getting close to paying the basement off and once that's done I might pick it up, but I can't get over the two HDMI inputs. Plus one of them is a front panel input. Would be nice to bring up that low end though. :)

Here are my old PA subs I had 12 years ago.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/la128z/

Had a pair of dual 15: PA mains to go with them. Then I started off with a MK 350 system, Paradigm Servo 15, Definitive 18, Bag End Infra 18, THT, Fi 15 SSD sealed, FTW's, Microwrecker and a few others. So I have had a few in my day and am starting to know eactly what I am wanting after all that.

Hey Dave,

Adam,

Yes Bosso I got your email. Thanks again. Will send another email also to tell you.

On another note I just watched the Hobbit and American Sniper. AS might not have ULF but definitely like the movie a lot. Enjoyed the latest Hobbit also quite a bit with half of my children at the cinema. Looking forward to that on BR.

Microwrecker?? Wasn't that a "small" horn sub? It uses like 6.5's or something?

Damn you should know what you want by now haha. Those EAW are ridiculous. I had an M&K 5000 years ago. Man I thought that thing was the greatest at the time. Fi SSD's too? You probably had the ones Dave loved. You've been around the block for sure.

That's the one thing I'm glad for. I bought the Raptors as my first subs for my theater(living room was a nightmare) and now I'll never upgrade. Idk if I'll ever move again, but no matter what they can fill almost any room so I'm glad I have at least one thing I won't have to buy again. I'm sure if you go with the BB's or Raptors you'll feel the same. Full bandwidth reproduction can't be beat.

Man I wish they put some bass in the Hobbit. I love those movies and I didn't think I would. Looking forward to that one as well.

MicroWrecker is from LilMike use a single 15" in a TH design he did. I will just have to wait for the PEQ settings from Maxmercy and then watch all the Hobbit movies again. :D Of coarse after I get some subs again.O

ther at least good thing for me is I am on hardwood suspended floors. So whie I have many things going against me I am sure it wont be too hard to get things shaking. :)

Oh ok I was thinking the micro was the small one. Not too many small TH's but I remember one using 6.5's and had decent output. A TH with a 15 isn't gonna be small haha.

Oh man if you're on suspended floors it's gonna feel like the floors are coming apart. Just the one BB in our home scared the shit outta me. I was watching ST at ref and when they went to warp speed I was not prepared for that. Dave's Raptors on his floors is insane. The wobble efect is so pronounced below 10hz in his room. It feels like you're on a ride. You will shake things up easily no doubt. :)

Not many horns that get down really low are going to be very small. BUT again I will just stick with sealed for ease of space and ultra ULF. :D

And I cant wait to finally be watching BR's again and feeling the full audio spectrum again. Its been a while now. Starts feeling like my line arrays with nine 3x5's sealed are putting out bass. Then add the subs back in and realize all that I was missing.

Archived