BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Larry stopped by to pick something up from me a few weeks after stopping by Dave's and hearing his system. We got to talking about tactile differences and how much it helps with perception of ULF. I let him hear my system play some scenes from TIH at reference with the subs flat. He could maybe tell you some more of the difference between the two but in short my system lacks the tactile feel Daves has from being on concrete. My system is solid down to 5Hz and I have a semi near field sub which is no joke too but my floor and couch refuse to move much. It makes a huge difference to me. Upstairs is a different story. Things are dancing across the floor and falling off of the walls.

There is a tradeoff though. My room has the unmistakable tactile effect at or above reference, yes, no doubt, and I couldn't live without that, but...

Adam's room is more efficient by 5-10dB. An earth-buried concrete room with double-rock, green glue, insulated ceiling and 400# sealed doors keeps nearly everything in the room. By contrast, my neighbors across the street can follow along with me while in their living room. LOTS of transmission loss difference and it's audible and made me envious of that fact.

The best of both worlds is Adam's room with a specifically designed riser.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this ULF/TIH talk reminds me...I have yet to see TIH with the new system...the chase with the tranq guns, the brazilian factory, the sonic cannons, and the police-car boxing gloves are tough to beat.

For those without resonant floors/risers, crowsons are probably the next best thing, signal chain permitting.

JSS

IMO, WOTW still is and always will be the king of LFE. Battle:LA is up there as well. TIH is 3rd for me, but the Hulk/Abomination fight sequence is not only superb LFE work but it's great to watch as well.

Taken as a scene vs scene choice, I would have to agree with others that it's the champ or heavyweight contender.

Hey Adam... wifey just called from the grocery store and asked what you like to drink. I said "Liquid". She asked what beer she should get. I told her "The fizzy kind that gets you drunk". :P

Hey, I'm tellin' ya, when Virginia goes to the grocery store to cook for guests, it means good food tonight, so don't be swingin' into the Taco Bell drive thru on the way down. :lol:

Thanks to Dom I changed my room from an on concrete 7.1 to on a riser 5.1.  It does add lots of tactile feedback.  I also added 4 sealed SI's within 2 feet of me and riser is the bottom of the enclosure!  You get best of both worlds, sealed concrete bunker wooden risers.  It kind of takes away the two back seats but the kids love it back there as you have to climb to reach those seats.  I just step over the arm rests. 

Hey Brandon,

I'll look forward to your post re the GTG. You're a superb host and Paul & I still talk about the great time we had. We have drivers on the water and we're planning to scoot to Panama beginning of December and when we get back, we'll be putting Raptors together and shipping them out, and........

we have Adam coming tomorrow for a couple of days of soundtrack scenes the way I've been enjoying them for 10 years, some excellent eats and maybe a glass or 2. :wacko::blink::lol:

So, it's been a busy time here. After the dust settles, Paul & I will head up there with an A14K and a Marchand Bassis to dial in a couple of curves that are specific to your rig. I guarantee it will make you an A-14K fan. Then you can see if you can persuade Paul to build you a custom SEQSS. I still don't know how he did it but the MKII SEQSS is everything he said it would be and does not use the L/T formula. He calls it a state-variable negative feedback circuit. It's dead quiet, precise, zero roll off, has more shaping options than the Linkwitz Transform for designing a no-compromise curve, irrespective of the naked response and the case has a vented top which gives the rack a cool looking red glow from the cap-discharging LEDs (for longer component life) lit up inside while it's on. Very cool.

Finished testing it in time for Adam's arrival and I'm a bit stoked about it. When he started working on it a while back I said NO! The SEQSS is perfect as-is. Now I'm glad he doesn't listen to me. :P

Larry asked me to do the ULF/no ULF with a scene in Star Trek that has largely gone under the radar because of it's mostly ULF content. That will bee first-up in the listening festivities.

I actually can't wait 'til Jazzy gets her Blackbird "Minka" set up in the living room. It should go perfectly with the decor and handily outgun the ED sub that it's replacing. Paul has gone over it personally with a fine-toothed comb because we want her to be happy. It's the least we can do for the incredible hospitality and the generosity in the cool gift she handed over just because I thought it was "cool".

Well the good news is, I think Paul already offered! I didn't even have to convince him but as soon as we started talking about the a14k, he said "Your're gonna want an seqss with it" Haha! I am very glad you guys had a good time up here last go-round, it was a pleasure having you both over for sure. 

Man, you guys have some fun this weekend and let 'er rip! 

I want to see if you can do this: (It is from the EOT and that is above the theater, close to 20 feet back from the sub wall. My buddy is the videographer)

Thanks Bosso! Forgot to mention this before, if you fast forward to around 1:22, that's when the 5-10hz is the highest for about 20 seconds or so...it fluctuates between 110-115db for that time period and frequency.

FYI, every time Larry and I talk or get together, I'm always talking about your Raptors...they are like works of art; literally. Love everything about them...I was just talking with Larry the other day, "Hey Larry, why don't you and I split a Raptor system? You can have the A14 and SEQSS, and I'll take a pair just to place them in my room to look at!"  :wub:

Madeel, definitely jealous of your setup! If I had I started from scratch, I had a quad set of those raptors for sure...

Back to the Hulk...Larry tells me about his trip to your place a lot... I've got to get there sometime. I can't imagine the Hulk on a suspended floor tuned to 6.8hz...gotta be awesome. Of all movies to date, TIH is still my favorite. 

If I come though, just be sure to have no raptors for sale at your house...I won't be able to overcome the temptation me thinks....

You make it that far, you might take a little trip through the mountains and stop by my spot while you are it man :) 

There is a tradeoff though. My room has the unmistakable tactile effect at or above reference, yes, no doubt, and I couldn't live without that, but...

Adam's room is more efficient by 5-10dB. An earth-buried concrete room with double-rock, green glue, insulated ceiling and 400# sealed doors keeps nearly everything in the room. By contrast, my neighbors across the street can follow along with me while in their living room. LOTS of transmission loss difference and it's audible and made me envious of that fact.

The best of both worlds is Adam's room with a specifically designed riser.

So I guess you meant it would be "the best of both worlds" if he had a special riser? ;)

My bad.

I want to see if you can do this: (It is from the EOT and that is above the theater, close to 20 feet back from the sub wall. My buddy is the videographer)

Well, seeing as that basement door being open makes your basement HT a huge ported sub with the staircase/door being the port, I doubt we can do that  :D  :P  :o 

But...

488b50087710e07fd85e837c8862b857.png

2f989de50a9cf37116b9b43c02ffa7f6.png

Adam should be here soon. He decided to drive down so he could take Jazzy's sub home in his own vehicle.

Friday night traffic in Charlotte   :angry:

Oh well, dinner will be ready when he gets here and I'll get him into the new HT seating...

da17e4ebc10d959114b11e73dba19d2d.png

Time stamps are written, calibration is done, discs are ready to spin... stay tuned...

MK I'm still rocking the 5.1 too...I'm so behind on things anymore. I need a 6" riser, I have mains to build...Need to update the pre-pro or go to a HTPC...Need a screen at some point. Treatments...Bleck. :wacko: Meanwhile some of you guys are rockin 11.1 with 4K video or whatever the hell else new is going on.

Thanks to Dom I changed my room from an on concrete 7.1 to on a riser 5.1.  It does add lots of tactile feedback.  I also added 4 sealed SI's within 2 feet of me and riser is the bottom of the enclosure!  You get best of both worlds, sealed concrete bunker wooden risers.  It kind of takes away the two back seats but the kids love it back there as you have to climb to reach those seats.  I just step over the arm rests. 

Can't wait to hear/feel the new setup! Mk's room is like a pressure chamber...I actually had to take a break after a while because it built up so much.

Now with the riser, nearfield subs, and 6hz tune up front, he's got even more pressure with all the tactile goodness to go with it!

Next time I'm in Manhattan, I'll try and do the same thing and make a stop to your place, but also make time to visit Not's as well...

2015 ULF Tour...wahoo!  :D

At some point, I will post up nanoAVR settings for Transformers (2007) BEQ.  One <5Hz hit is encoded at >121dBRef, center freq 1Hz.  A true challenge for the SEQSS and A-14K, or any other ULF-capable system.

I have played it back at -7dBRef, and do not intend to try any further.

JSS

We're headed out for a road trip uptown Charlotte. Stadiums, No-Da (a neighborhood on the north side for a rare beer purchase for a friend of Adam's), uptown sites and maybe the White Water Rafting Park.

Then we'll catch dinner at a local place we think Adam will enjoy and it's back to the HT for some 3D movie fun.

We'll post some of the most notable SpecLab graphs and try to comment before the libations make commenting a bad idea. :blink:

Last night was a riot. Running the OZ scenes extremely hot was off the charts. I normally calibrate flat with a 2-3dB bump once in a while but I decided to run OZ at reference with the subs bumped quite a bit (around +8-10dB) and it was mayhem to 2 Hz. Not my cup o tea, but it sure was fun.

...and we laughed, and we laughed and we laughed. Adam's the most fun guy ever.

This one's for Larry.

It was indeed the first thing we did after Adam got settled in. Star Trek chapter 6, 0:49:55, with and without ULF:

a5716dfa70625e03bf6ffcc2439deac5.png

The waveform shows the SEQSS boost <20 Hz and the resultant higher total output  with the added 2 octaves down low. This scene is just a simple pan from the Enterprise to the Nirada with the theme music playing and some pumping low end. It's not a big SPL scene, just a good example of how easy it is to tell the difference between with vs without ULF. It sounds pretty cool without ULF but sounds/feels a buncha notches up with ULF.

Fun we had, indeed. :D

When we played OZ, Matt was in his room down the hall (about 50' from the HT subs) and he came into the HT asking "What the $%#@ was THAT?" We followed him to his room and repeated the scene with vid camera running. Paul's working on posting it and should be up tonight.

Thanks for the inspiration. B)

I am jealous of your ULF  :angry:  lol  :lol:

I swear I am rolling off at 10Hz due to my AVR - failed to get measirements done this weekend but once confirmed, steps will be taken... :ph34r:

I managed to pick up Oz 3D for £9 recently, about my limit for a BD ;) so that will be getting watched this week I think, going from those graphs!

Looks like you're all having a lot of fun, it's a shame you're all the other side of a very large pond! lol

Fun we had, indeed. :D

When we played OZ, Matt was in his room down the hall (about 50' from the HT subs) and he came into the HT asking "What the $%#@ was THAT?" We followed him to his room and repeated the scene with vid camera running. Paul's working on posting it and should be up tonight.

Thanks for the inspiration. B)

Have a look, B... :P

Have a look, B... :P

I can envision the screws backing themselves out of the sheetrock from something like that.  Just imagine the phone call...

"Hello, State Farm?"

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"I need to file a claim."

"Oh, I'm sorry for your lose sir.  What exactly is the issue?"

"It's kind of a long story, but all the sheetrock in my house came off the studs."

"What came of the what?!?  Can you repeat that sir?"

"All the sheetrock came off the studs in my house."

"How the heck did that happen???  Was there an earthquake or something?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes."  :)

Archived