BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Yes they are. Actually I always liked cylinder designs but they weren't my favorite. It wasn't until I saw Dave's that I thought they looked better than the traditional square subs.

Laptop should be here this weekend guys. Can't wait to get some measurements and graphs up!

If your mic needs a cal file spec lab will be way down under 20hz.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a normal human do this? It seems complicated. I am lucky I get repeatable measurements!

I can confirm I am human :P

I don't imagine the demand will be enormous so i can make the filter if anyone wants one, I suspect a REW soundcard cal file plus a mic cal file is all that is required. There is a way to do it in excel alone but that is more manual work and error prone.

Awesome offer there ^^^ :)B)

Yah but but how many people have what you do? It's always nice to have something others don't. I know I've never seen anyone else with PPSL's like those. :)

You have a fair point :)  And I am very happy with their 'sonic signature' so far!  I just think I'm rolling off too early so if I can get my finger out and get that sorted, I am sure I will be 110% happy! :)

Yah James I agree it's easy for a guy who's an expert on all things PC.  He prolly builds them in his spare time like Ethan. When someone posts a page worth of instructions and says "see no big deal" it makes me feel dumb as hell haha. Thanks for the offer 3II3dood. Appreciate it man. :)

Paul is gonna help me with Speclab and I should have REW downloaded tomorrow.

MemX I wish I could hear those beasts. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I'm bout to embark on my own REW mission. :(

Hey Adam,

As promised... say hello to my leetle friend:

fbf38364e54663fc31f93da232966c76.jpg

Just testing it now. It's made from baffle caps from the first prototype Blackbirds. They're thermo-foil finished and my wife said they look like a spool of thread.

The working name is "Jazzy". This should absolutely rock your living room. Still working on a proper amplifier. The drivers are a secret. About 3.4L per and very clean. Ran through some critical listening with SACD music and then played Oblivion and "9". SpecLab graphs look good, sound is excellent and they're holding up well.

Stay tuned, but let Minka know I'm almost there.

Hahahaha I'm dying Dave. As soon as I walk in the door I ask her if she wants to see a pic of her sub. She said "hell yes"! So I showed her on the iPad and she ripped it outta my hands and did indeed flip out. She hugged it and then had to check her heart rate. She absolutely loves it man. Like I said just amazing. She said can't wait to hear that little beast! Of course she loves the working name. :) Oh yeah I'm not to touch it once she has it either. Greedy bastard.

She told me to tell you she loved you even before "that prettiness" but now....

For scale, here's the Blackbird single module vs a Raptor System #2 stacked:

1fe4fd2b491721c63002b9ddcbd0b869.jpg

That is one very cool looking subwoofer. Unique, classy and powerful - right up my alley... :)

Working on that as well. ;)

Here's a couple I made a while back for different folks and I still have one of each.

282ceed22fd7d5122528a54590bef256.jpgc733c36e50a3b98146cae7777bfb2001.jpg

Of course, both are before metal logos are applied. Both are also shown with the aluminum grill ring, which I don't recommend unless the beveled glass top is preferred.

Those are sharp too Dave. I really like the contrasting front panel on that last one. The glass does help you appreciate the aluminum ring more. Actually the glass top is pretty bad ass. I guess they all look amazing when you see them in different finishes. If only I had 8ft cilings..

It's funny how small they are compared to the Raptors. They look like their baby brothers. It's hard to imagine they even have two 15's in them.

Btw I was trying to explain to Jazzy how much air the BB displaces cuz she told me she wants to know more about subs now that she'll have her own. ;)

Hey Adam,

As promised... say hello to my leetle friend:

fbf38364e54663fc31f93da232966c76.jpg

Just testing it now. It's made from baffle caps from the first prototype Blackbirds. They're thermo-foil finished and my wife said they look like a spool of thread.

The working name is "Jazzy". This should absolutely rock your living room. Still working on a proper amplifier. The drivers are a secret. About 3.4L per and very clean. Ran through some critical listening with SACD music and then played Oblivion and "9". SpecLab graphs look good, sound is excellent and they're holding up well.

Stay tuned, but let Minka know I'm almost there.

3.4L PER DRIVER???? Or per blackbird unit?  Is that XMech or Xmax?

JSS

3.4L PER DRIVER???? Or per blackbird unit?  Is that XMech or Xmax?

JSS

Per driver, 6.8 per module.

Raptor is 9.8L per module.

Condor is the next prototype. A cube sub (well, with some spiffy aesthetic modification). 11.1L per driver, 22.2L per module.

Those are all Xmax*2*Sd volumes of displacement.

Yeah, Dave!  Sounds like those top secret drivers could potentially work great in my cabs as upgrades to the SSD-15.  Help a guy out (again). ;)

Honestly, I would hang onto those SSDs. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :)

Wow.  That is impressive displacement.  22.2L per module??  How large are the drivers?  >18"?  That is some serious displacement.  Like crack drywall and wreck stuff displacement.  

I am definitely liking 8Hz capability, and nearfield subs (4 of my 15" drivers fire directly into the back of the MLP).  The drivers appear to move just as far with 5Hz tones as above 8Hz at the same drive level, but room gain is no longer providing as much SPL.  I am definitely down on signal strength below 5Hz, which I have partially remedied by using a 3Hz shelf with the miniDSP that is actually stable, but not enough to overcome how far down the trace is at 3Hz.  It gives me some more driver movement at 1.5Hz, 3Hz and 5Hz with tonebursts, but not enough to overload anything. 

Just curious, So how much do 4 modules (2 stacks to cancel width and height room modes) and amps/bassis cost with shipping?  ~$5k?  If so, that is a terrific price. 

JSS

Wow.  That is impressive displacement.  22.2L per module??  How large are the drivers?  >18"?  That is some serious displacement.  Like crack drywall and wreck stuff displacement.  

I am definitely liking 8Hz capability, and nearfield subs (4 of my 15" drivers fire directly into the back of the MLP).  The drivers appear to move just as far with 5Hz tones as above 8Hz at the same drive level, but room gain is no longer providing as much SPL.  I am definitely down on signal strength below 5Hz, which I have partially remedied by using a 3Hz shelf with the miniDSP that is actually stable, but not enough to overcome how far down the trace is at 3Hz.  It gives me some more driver movement at 1.5Hz, 3Hz and 5Hz with tonebursts, but not enough to overload anything. 

Just curious, So how much do 4 modules (2 stacks to cancel width and height room modes) and amps/bassis cost with shipping?  ~$5k?  If so, that is a terrific price. 

JSS

I thought the miniDSP only EQ'd down to 10Hz? 

(and that it was already the lowest Hz available in an EQ solution, bar that not-sold-separately BossoBassis?)  :blink:

Actually, it's the SEQSS, the BossoBassis was a prototype from 10 years ago that I designed and had Phil Marchand build. It took him over a year to build and that shied me away from pursuing it as a viable product.

The SEQSS is dead flat to 2 Hz. It's a complex piece of analog hardware that affects 9 specific curves in a given system. IOW, the curves are specifically designed for a specific driver in a specific sealed Vb and are designed to optimally alter the system frequency response to mate with room gain profiles we've collected over the years from many different listening space sizes and construction types and/or various program source.

We built the first units based on the L/T biquad filter topology. Since then, Paul has designed a new architecture that is best described as a state variable filter using negative feedback. This system is much more flexible than the L/T, allowing a far expanded ratio of boost to Q, thus a more specific curve.

One of the problems with using a digital solution (without getting into the AD/DA conversion, required use of a computer, etc) is that ultimately you have to convert the end product to analog. When manipulations of the input signal, which is already at the maximum the AVR or Pre/Pro can output, result in rather high voltage peaks, the power supply and noise are concerns that require careful attention to detail.

I recall years back someone posted that they ordered a Bassis from Phil with up to 48dB of boost. Since that amount of boost means that if you powered the sub with 1W you would need 65,000W at the boosted frequencies, it struck me as a really dumb idea. More importantly, and I called Phil to ask him this, how in hell can he boost the input signal 65,000 times and not clip the output? Well, I won't get into the answer but it all goes back to the previous paragraph. Clipping or excessive noise... pick your poison.

To have 9 deadly-accurate curves with no clipping, extremely low noise and dead flat to 2 Hz in a worse-case scenario without charging north of $1K is... well, I'll just say it's something. ;)

Hey guys I wanted to post and say Paul got Speclab up and running for me Saturday night. He literally did everything. I just have to play with it some more but I'm glad Paul is an expert on it. Thanks again man.

Damn I love it too. The only problem is it's hard to watch a movie with it rolling because every time the bass hits in a scene I have to look over. After I showed my friend what it does we were both looking at it the rest of the night haha.

I know you guys are gonna stone me for this but I bought Gozilla and MoS in 3D. I hadn't seen either one and neither had my friend and I figured what the hell I've spent money on worse things. So I bought them and a couple pairs of 3D glasses.

Well I loved the movie and thought the sound and bass were good. The 3D on 165" is amazing and the Raptors just make the experience perfect. I know the movie didn't go low enough but I didn't think it was over the top either. If those scenes went down to single digits or even 10hz it would've been perfect. Well except for the clipping...

MoS OTOH was loud from beginning to end. I can't believe how loud it was for like an hour straight. I did like the movie though and I ran Speclab on it to show my friend what it does and how it shows what you're system can really do.

Before those two though we demo'd TIH, The Wolverine, Oblivion, and Fotp. On TIH we did the cannon scene and the entire ending. He just shook his head most of the time, actually we both did, and on Oblivion and The Wolverine he said it didn't sound like that in my room. No shit. :lol: The nuke scene in The Wolverine and FotP were amazing but FotP was one of my favorites. It was simply amazing on the Raptors. I'll post some screen caps this week maybe even tomorrow of that and a couple others. I'm scared to run WotW and HTTYD though. :unsure:

The SEQSS is amazing. I need to get that damn Oppo to take advantage of it having no roll-off. I told Dave this over the phone but I don't think I mentioned this in the thread. Almost a month ago I was demoing Tron for some friends, and Jazzy, who had *never* seen Tron, said something was wrong. I said yah I think so too. As soon as I got up from the couch I realized I had turned the 18hz HPF on on the SEQSS. I did it so the house wouldn't shake as much with the ULF late at night. It's amazing to see someone who knows very little about subs realize the bass wasn't the same. It's just amazing to be able to change your filter on-the-fly as well as your boost if you want to.

Hey Dave something is definitely wrong with my SI's. Idk if Paul told you but they did some strange things Saturday night. I'm gonna have to take them out again and measure each coil and possibly buy some other drivers to see what's up. I'll call you sometime this week.

Per driver, 6.8 per module.

Raptor is 9.8L per module.

Condor is the next prototype. A cube sub (well, with some spiffy aesthetic modification). 11.1L per driver, 22.2L per module.

Those are all Xmax*2*Sd volumes of displacement.

Whoa!!!

Archived