BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

I just ran a spectrograph of it. It's one of those little scenes that most subs don't catch the impact of and the effect appears randomly. There are no explosions, etc. It just comes out of nowhere and has the ULF wobble.

CA_ch6.png

I also ran a quick FR at the mic and switched REW to a linear graph to overlay it on the linear SL graph.

Anyway, LMK when you get around to watching it. It's at the very end of chapter 6, right be fore it changes to chapter 7. Right after the chich says "You're a terrible liar".

The graph isn't showing up for me for some reason but I definitely caught that the first time I went through the movie. Love it....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a good scene to explain what I've said over the years without having to explain it.

IOW, no one would ever cite that scene because without ULF capability it's unremarkable. But, WITH ULF, it's a pretty awesome experience and it counters the notion that ULF is unintended and is irrelevant to the experience, etc.

I used to cite various scenes at AVS after watching a movie and be astounded at how many people would be scratching their heads wondering what I was talking about. I started to think I was going insane. That's when I started doing the with/without ULF scene comparisons, asking guests if they noticed any difference. When 100% said yes, I knew I wasn't nuts.

Well we are in one small percentage that's for sure. It's almost as if you claimed to be the first person to see aliens. Even with enough displacement, roll-off and not enough power are two major hurdles. The SI experiment proved that and I didn't even get that far haha.

Oh they would be lying if they said they didn't notice a differnece. That scene is perfect too. The right type of bass for what happened on-screen. That was amazing in your room. Since I don't have the floor resonance it's just the couch and I just have too much of a roll-off. I think I will break down and buy the Oppo sooner than later. Just curious how much of a difference it will make. I think a LOT down low. 6db at and below 5hz would be great. Can't wait to see the Speclab on the before and after.

Mom and dad are coming over to watch Xmen and then the game so I'll have a scene to post later too. You know the one you ruined for me, ;):P

This is the U:A elevator scene with the handgun Uzi's. That sounded and felt awesome! Been wanting to do that for awhile. It's pretty cool for being centered between 25-30hz.

And of course the Super Lycan scene. This is 5db over ref and I had it at 15db but the mic was clipped to hell. At least here I have some sort of waveform. This was amazing.

I love my subs. :D ............just not my mic. :angry:

Yah ST is pretty awesome. It helps the movie is great too. That ship roll scene if you can do it justice is one of my favorites for ULF.

I gotta say though I was gonna watch Xmen:DoFP and my mom hadn't seen First Class yet so I figured why not hear it on my Raptors......... HOLY HELL!! That movie was insane. I think besides WotW and TIH that movie had the most amount of low bass I heard so far. Maybe even more than TIH. I'm gonna get some graphs tomorrow but man it was low and loud. Check that one out too.

I dont remember the specific scenes in that movie that are ULF heaven, but I would have hoped anytime Magneto is doing his thing it would be ridiculous. And especially the scene with him lifting the ship and everything else. I think I will be buying a NanoAVR soon now. LOL

Yah every time he uses his powers it's low and loud but the beach scene was the best. When the submarine is dropped to the ground was one of the most realistic bass scenes I can recall. It was louder than any other scene in the movie and actually scared me. I wasn't expecting it to be that loud. Most movies execution isn't the greatest but that movie I think did it perfectly.

Yah I need a Nano too. One for upstairs and down. That movie needs no EQ though.

First ever quick look.

I built the first version in 1996, then forgot all about the theory, build and results until I began reading about the SEOS, CD, etc. craze. When I looked at the posted measurements of those sorts of contraptions, I was kinda shocked at the poor results and it jogged my memory of the antihorn (just a working name I dubbed the idea to mock the poor performance of horns in dispersing mid-high freqs).

8a92bb0c569ababf5cd7251ae73050e4.png

Comb filtering is eliminated, dispersion is plus or minus 2dB across 150 degrees and the idea is to have dual driver version satellites using full range drivers, eliminating crossover mess. A ceiling mount version is on the drawing board for ATMOS/DTS-X.

These will be ready for human consumption summer 2015.

Are those measurements taken using the correction file for the Aco Pacific 7012? Here is the correction file I received from Aco Pacific for use with speaker measurements. It is down 5.1 dB at 10 kHz and 9 dB at 20 kHz. Change the file extension back to .xlsx.

7012 Sound Field Correction Data.txt

Are those measurements taken using the correction file for the Aco Pacific 7012? Here is the correction file I received from Aco Pacific for use with speaker measurements. It is down 5.1 dB at 10 kHz and 9 dB at 20 kHz. Change the file extension back to .xlsx.

No correction files yet, since I bought the system to measure the low end and I haven't bothered much with the high end. The antihorn vs CD-type horn measurements I've done thus far were strictly as a comparative exercise and are relative in that respect.

But, I must say that, offhand, I have a problem with applying a 5-9dB correction >10k Hz to my rig for theoretical differences above 16k Hz. The comparisons I've done between the ACO and most of the popular available mics show a 2-5dB difference and that's in a so-called pressure field with no compensation for the microphones themselves in that field and no allowance for tiny differences in microphone placement in the comparison.

IMO, for my purposes (and most anyone on these boards) free-field and pressure field are essentially the same, unless you plan to rent a world-class anechoic chamber or fly the speakers in an open field.

Idk how I missed that one. That made the room creak and moan. I need to watch this again!

attachicon.gifCA vending machine.png

Awesome. Funny how people miss the little parts that some sound design/mix teams sneak into soundtracks. Contextually, I have no idea why that is in there. It's literally, as you said earlier, impossible to miss in my space with the floor and walls moving, so I always catch them. Interesting little bonus thrown into the experience. Love when that happens, whether it's in the sound or visual.

Dave here's the ship roll from ST. Man that was pretty cool but definitely much more wobble in your room. First time I noticed a big difference. Damn Oppo.

attachicon.gifST Ship roll Raptor.png

OK, just for curiosity... can you, at some future date, just try that scene in your room with (SEQSS @ +10dB and NO) and without (SEQSS @ +6dB and 18 Hz HPF) and without changing levels and ask whoever is there if they sense any difference?

It would be interesting data for those who think ULF is irrelevant on a concrete slab (and just to know for the heck of it). ;)

I would love to do that. There's actually a couple scenes I wanna do. I need to post up some more graphs too. Lately football is taking up too much of my time. I should be able to give you a call this Saturday though.

I can't lie the ST ship roll was the first time I wish I was on a suspended floor. I wanted to haul my Raptors upstairs haha. That was night and day in my room. That was right in your floor's sweet spot.

I'm digging the new sig man. B)

Paul and I did some measuring tonight and decided to measure one of the tweeters close up (red trace) and at 1M (green trace) using the ACO Pac 7012/PS9200 with no correction file against the manufacturer's posted FR. No special prep, just a plunk and sweep:

25b2dd4a0fc2a4bbca5f99ac3ddfa56d.png

That's with a 3k Hz 2nd order HPF (cross point) and you can see what would happen if I added a correction file that added +5dB @ 10k Hz and +9dB @ 20k Hz.

We also compared the ACO Pac rig to his EMM-6, with and without cal file and his buddy's whatchamacallit mic. all within margin of placement, reflection error. Certainly not 9dB.

BTW, what format is that file for? REW doesn't accept it and I don't use anything else. Otherwise I'd have shown the difference.

Hey Dave I'll try ya again tomorrow. Early afternoon or later at night better for you? A friend bought GotG for me with the stipulation he watch it at my house and I called before he came over. I love that movie but it sure is bass deficient.

Earlier Ethan came over and we finally watched EoT. Loved the movie and the bass was pretty good. I'm gonna buy The Equalizer though. Jazzy and I love Denzel and I need to watch a heavy hitter.

I'm gonna post some Xmen grahs tomorrow. I'm still in shock at the amount of bass in that movie.

This one's for Larry.

It was indeed the first thing we did after Adam got settled in. Star Trek chapter 6, 0:49:55, with and without ULF:

a5716dfa70625e03bf6ffcc2439deac5.png

The waveform shows the SEQSS boost <20 Hz and the resultant higher total output  with the added 2 octaves down low. This scene is just a simple pan from the Enterprise to the Nirada with the theme music playing and some pumping low end. It's not a big SPL scene, just a good example of how easy it is to tell the difference between with vs without ULF. It sounds pretty cool without ULF but sounds/feels a buncha notches up with ULF.

This post is from when Adam came to pick up Jazzy's sub and we did the 'tets' of the scene with and without ULF. There's the pics, SL caps and time stamp. But, it's like Adam said, right before they board the shuttle to go to the Nirada after they drop out of warp.

Archived