BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Good question.  I saw a podcast with 2 Dolby employees explaining things about it but They were pretty vague in their description of the whole thing.  I have no idea how the Atmos channels are derived from metadata or what that even means exactly.  So far it smells like Pro logic III to me.  I'm not hating on it just yet, the whole thing just seems a whole lot more complicated than discrete channels are and I don't see why it needs to be all that. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to that graph....the eq is applied above 3kHz......

post-1247-0-59647700-1419801673.jpg

So do the soundstages that mix ATMOS do the same for their speaker arrays, or is this just a "kid's table version" that is only "for the home"??

JSS

That filter is applied to the ceiling bounce speakers only as it is intended to simulate the HRTF of a sound arriving from above. This isn't necessary if the sound is actually arriving from above.

I see. A 'ceiling bounce' speaker sound like a huge compromise with significant downsides.

I think since BD is still the media of choice for consumer mid-high end, it is limited in channels to 8 for most formats, so they have to do a 'ProLogic III' type scheme until BD specs change to allow more channels.  I could be wrong on that, of course.

JSS

I've been to several Dolby session private demos and I can tell you that the ceiling bounced speakers work pretty good. For most people it would be highly adequate. Though for most of us I would not recommend it. We are a different bunch. ;)

We are.  The bounced speakers have to be bandwidth limited or incredibly directional (prob both) with very pinpoint placement of speaker and listener to get the effect done right.

Just imagine the folks like us on the video side of things....they probably tear apart BD releases and projectors like we do soundtracks and soundbars....

JSS

I'm doin' ATMOS, but waiting until the hardware includes DTS-UHD. I think it's a great idea and should mate perfectly with the Antihorn speakers we've been working on.

Check it out!

In under the wire for best MWB in 2014... The Equalizer with Denzel, who is a stone-cold badass in this flick.

Here are 2 of the best scenes. This is mic'd with the subs running +3dB hot. Centered at 50 Hz but most definitely unfiltered. Shook hell outta the place:

b360afa733a7f9dbdb1687164a6ad1bd.png

Rent it, buy it, crank it. :ph34r:

I'm doin' ATMOS, but waiting until the hardware includes DTS-UHD. I think it's a great idea and should mate perfectly with the Antihorn speakers we've been working on.

Check it out!

In under the wire for best MWB in 2014... The Equalizer with Denzel, who is a stone-cold badass in this flick.

Here are 2 of the best scenes. This is mic'd with the subs running +3dB hot. Centered at 50 Hz but most definitely unfiltered. Shook hell outta the place:

b360afa733a7f9dbdb1687164a6ad1bd.png

Rent it, buy it, crank it. :ph34r:

Now formally known as DTS:X

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/DTS/dtsx/objectbased/audio/codecs/Dolby/Atmos/dtshd-master-audio/Surround_Sound/Release_Dates/dts-announces-dtsx-objectbased-audio-codec-for-march-2015-with-support-from-onkyo-denon-pioneer-more/20275

Hmm. No where does it say how many channels or whether they're discrete or not. I'm betting no for now. I actually have front height speakers for whenever I upgrade my pos preamp for 9.2. I wanted 11.2 but last time I checked they had the last two additional speakers as surround heights which I have no need for, or room, since mine are a foot from the ceiling now. Neo:X didn't have that many movies released either so I'm skeptical.

Hey guys, I thought I'd put up a couple shots of TMNinja Turtles because some of y'all have been asking about it.  This is the beginning of chapter 16 and then I went to 1 hour and 28 minutes in, around where manninen said he noticed one of the lower hits in the movie. 

Haven't gotten a chance to watch/listen to it yet, I just grabbed the sub out off of it (re-directed bass starting @90Hz).

What are these Anti-Horns???  Intrigued...

JSS

First ever quick look.

I built the first version in 1996, then forgot all about the theory, build and results until I began reading about the SEOS, CD, etc. craze. When I looked at the posted measurements of those sorts of contraptions, I was kinda shocked at the poor results and it jogged my memory of the antihorn (just a working name I dubbed the idea to mock the poor performance of horns in dispersing mid-high freqs).

8a92bb0c569ababf5cd7251ae73050e4.png

Comb filtering is eliminated, dispersion is plus or minus 2dB across 150 degrees and the idea is to have dual driver version satellites using full range drivers, eliminating crossover mess. A ceiling mount version is on the drawing board for ATMOS/DTS-X.

These will be ready for human consumption summer 2015.

e0b1401b798e52698e34253b45ac9cf7.jpg

Archived