Upcoming Testing Possibilities?

jpmst3

It is likely to have a huge impedance peak. I doubt there is any sort of inductance combating measures in that motor and a ton of steel and coil. It is made to take a lot of abuse mechanically and a ton of power with no regard for suspension or motor noise or distortion.  Getting real loud 35-70Hz is the goal and the inductance peak helps with that and so does some extra distortion. Without measuring that driver it would be a crap shoot as to how it behaves and in a horn? You'd almost have to buy one and try it.

• Like 5

Call me crazy, but I stay on the lookout for a possible LMS 5400 replacement for the Ghorns in case I ever blow mine up.  

How in the hell would you do that with proper HP filtering?  Man, you have bass/SPL issues (like most of us here).  You may need to go to an artillery/rocket launcher/demolition range to get a fix.... 

JSS

It is likely to have a huge impedance peak. I doubt there is any sort of inductance combating measures in that motor and a ton of steel and coil. It is made to take a lot of abuse mechanically and a ton of power with no regard for suspension or motor noise or distortion.  Getting real loud 35-70Hz is the goal and the inductance peak helps with that and so does some extra distortion. Without measuring that driver it would be a crap shoot as to how it behaves and in a horn? You'd almost have to buy one and try it.

Yeah, that seems to be the story with most Fi drivers.  Inductance monsters but durable.  

• 1 month later...

I had to send both of them back after receiving them, then one of them an additional 2 times. They had a defective batch of coils from the vendor. One blew on very little power twice, one was scratchy right of the bat and the other had a very odd issue with seemingly working ok but presenting nearly a dead short to the amp. There was no impedance peak indicating resonance on that one! I just got the second driver that has had constant issues back and it seems to finally be good, so I now have a working pair of TD18-H+ Apollo's like 3 years in. This was all on John's dime BTW. I paid nothing for all of the shipping. He probably lost money on this pair. What a journey.

We use them for our bass guitar rig. At this point I'm scared to do a DB type measurement battery on them because they might let go and I don't know if I can take it again. John will probably commit himself to a mental asylum if I contact him about them again. They do sound great but I wonder about their survivability now.

I had to send both of them back after receiving them, then one of them an additional 2 times. They had a defective batch of coils from the vendor. One blew on very little power twice, one was scratchy right of the bat and the other had a very odd issue with seemingly working ok but presenting nearly a dead short to the amp. There was no impedance peak indicating resonance on that one! I just got the second driver that has had constant issues back and it seems to finally be good, so I now have a working pair of TD18-H+ Apollo's like 3 years in. This was all on John's dime BTW. I paid nothing for all of the shipping. He probably lost money on this pair. What a journey.

We use them for our bass guitar rig. At this point I'm scared to do a DB type measurement battery on them because they might let go and I don't know if I can take it again. John will probably commit himself to a mental asylum if I contact him about them again. They do sound great but I wonder about their survivability now.

I'm putting mine in 9cu.ft cabs ported to 30hz.  I bought the 8ohm coils so I could parallel two to a single channel of a pro lite 7.5.  That means they'll be getting less than 1kw worst case, and with a 4th order BW filter at 24hz, excursion never exceeds 14mm even with 1kw.

I'm really hoping those 2.5" coils are as good as they claim for heat dissipation...

Hmmm. Geez what a journey, for sure! It's too bad we may not get a DB level test on them. I sure am curious of their 'proper' performance and it sounds like you like them.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope to start back up in the next couple weeks if I can get a few sunny days. It is going to be a very busy 2015. First up will be the SI 24 and the Dayton UM18-22.

Of note is that the first UM18 I was sent had a bent and cracked frame. The box did not seem to have any damage that would indicate that this type of heavy damage could have occurred during shipping so it leads me to believe that this defect was in place before it was even boxed up. Dayton responded quickly and shipped out another one which appears to be ok.

After those 2 drivers are tested I am going to do another MTX 9515-44 sealed test with a newer and larger 15" box of about 3ft. This will be a nice comparison to the testing done with it in the tiny 15.5" cube previously. I expect deep bass sensitivity to go way up, burst output in the deep bass to go up and distortion to drop dramatically also. Vented and sealed testing of the AE TD18H+A will be coming. I will be doing a few amplifier comparisons using test signals into various speaker loads also. I have some new cabinets that I will be building and testing with Powersoft's IPAL module and control system. A number of commercial powered subwoofers are already scheduled to be coming through as well but I am going to make an effort to get back to the DIY side of things this year which is more in the spirit of what started this to begin with.

• Like 3

I can't wait to get some definitive measurements on the SI24 - it appears to walk the walk as well as talk the talk, so if it can be proved that it does, it will be great for us (and SI!) :)

I still can't afford one but it will remain on my wish list :P lol

• 1 month later...

Update: I've got a lot of things coming up...Here is what will be measured first and in what order and what I can talk about currently.

1.) SI HS-24 (15cubes sealed)

2.) Dayton UM18-22 (Sealed)

3.) MTX 9515-44 (New larger 15" sealed test box. I've been needing that for a while so I can start doing more 15's.)

4.) Jeff from JTR is coming in one weekend in May and bringing some of his lineup.

5.) Reaction Audio is sending at least an Echo-18 when they get things rolling with the new amps and all that.

6.) Fi Car Audio 18" SP4 is being sent by a member with some shipping help by others.

7.) I have an Orion HCCA-152 on the way.

8.) 21IPAL's...

There is more that is either in the works, or that I shouldn't talk about just yet. I have designs for vented cabs with variable tuning in 12,15 and 18" sizes that I need to build or contract out. PaleHorn cabs. I'm also reaching out to a few manufacturers who have drivers that I think may be sleepers, or are popular, or represent the cutting edge and am inquiring about samples for performance testing. We'll see how that goes. I expect most to blow it off but perhaps not. The main amplifier will now be a K20-dsp which on paper offers an additional 1.5dB of headroom over the K10, whether any cab will ever make use of that last 1.5dB is questionable but hey it's there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first post on this site.  :)   Two years back, I purchased an entry level sub from Rythmik, their LV12-R.  It was a huge step up from my previous PSB Subsonic5.  I'm really enamoured with it and how tuneful this ported sub is.  I wish Database would review this sub just to see how it compares to other entry level subs from SVS, Reaction, and PSA. Do you have any Rythmik subs that are planned for review in the near future?

I might have to beef up my test box so I don't blow a seam out with that monster! I'm going to need a bigger amp too. Maybe if I strap both K20's together it'll be enough to push it but I doubt it. I heard those are basically a Funky-Pup on roids. :blink: