1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Lone Survivor  (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.42dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.01dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  This has several chopper scenes with long bursts at 6.4Hz, but nothing between there and 19Hz.  One of these in particular is like the F'ing Irene scene from Black Hawk Down, but lasts for a full minute!!! See below for graphs and timestamps in the file names.  

Besides every chopper scene, there isn't much below 20Hz, but bass effects still sound good, and are sometimes used in ways that you might not expect from an action/war flick.  Pretty decent movie, too, with some solid surround work.  It didn't hurt that the filming locations are my backyard, and I recognized a lot of the peaks and ridges from backpacking them.

PvA:

post-17-0-35001200-1401801271_thumb.png

SpecLab scenecaps:

post-17-0-65714200-1401801287_thumb.png

post-17-0-36716500-1401801317_thumb.png

I think it's safe to conclude that there is very real 6-7Hz sound created by helicopters.  The big transport choppers that fly over frequently from Kirtland AFB sure do pound it out. 

I wonder how much difference there is in the frequencies created by the various types of helicopters?

This is my new demo movie, holy crap! My screen was flexing and I blew a 20 amp breaker! Probably too hot on the LT but this is an easy 5 star for me. The obvious chopper scene was the best but there were some other low frequencies throughout with lots of dynamics to boot. I love how everything starts to get calm and BAM! It hits again. Awesome stuff.

• 1 month later...

This was incredible. The bass in this film was some of the best I've ever heard and scared the s... out of me at times. Wow a powerful movie on all accounts. Didn't bother renting and one of my go to demo flicks for sure. As Nube said before the sound quality of this film is brilliantly done on every level. A big five stars from me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I watched this one this week. Bass and sound effects and video were all reference demo worthy. Very impressive. I jumped in my seat hard at least twice. The nearfield subs on an rpg explosion in the village when I didn't expect it was intense. So was one in the gunfight. Even though I liked the movie it is definately a rent for me. Its especially intense and sad. I hate watching movies like this, based on a true story, where you watch our bravest soldiers die. Thank God we have men willing to sacrifice their life in this type of combat. I have mixed feelings about watching it onscreen. Its a tear jerker for me, and one I don't wish to repeat.

Archived