• 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

• Rent
    • Buy
    • Avoid

I, Frankenstein (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.58dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.12dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-74410700-1400010098_thumb.png

Thanks! Was thinking about buying this but may just rent it this weekend

I am always confused about the graphs. Looking at the green graph, the LFE doesn't drop off a cliff, is everything below 19hz at too low of a level to hear/feel or would these effects still be felt at -10 or so?

The graphs are fairly straightforward:  of all content on the disc, green is the peak at that frequency and red is the average.  For measurement purposes, the -10dB point is the lowest frequency that is 10dB below the highest point on either the peak or average line.  Content below the -10dB point is pretty hard to notice if anything else is going on in the mix.  Even when there's significant rolloff from filters (and equipment or other sources), some effects will be high enough level to break through the rolloff and register as relatively high peaks.

If you're flat to single digits at high*ish* levels, you may hear and experience the frequently-used 15Hz and below stuff that sets tension in a scene, such as content throughout Captain Phillips and All Is Lost, and in the Dredd classroom scene.  In this type of setup, you'll also feel the weight of the ELF content when it's combined with loud effects higher up in the range, say 20-40Hz.  When you're used to a system with this playback capability, movies without the extremely low content, or with it significantly rolled off (such as in this movie), will feel like something is missing. 

With a ported system, all bets are off.  You likely won't notice anything below your system's tuning frequency, and you won't know what you're missing.

The graphs are fairly straightforward: of all content on the disc, green is the peak at that frequency and red is the average. For measurement purposes, the -10dB point is the lowest frequency that is 10dB below the highest point on either the peak or average line. Content below the -10dB point is pretty hard to notice if anything else is going on in the mix. Even when there's significant rolloff from filters (and equipment or other sources), some effects will be high enough level to break through the rolloff and register as relatively high peaks.

If you're flat to single digits at high*ish* levels, you may hear and experience the frequently-used 15Hz and below stuff that sets tension in a scene, such as content throughout Captain Phillips and All Is Lost, and in the Dredd classroom scene. In this type of setup, you'll also feel the weight of the ELF content when it's combined with loud effects higher up in the range, say 20-40Hz. When you're used to a system with this playback capability, movies without the extremely low content, or with it significantly rolled off (such as in this movie), will feel like something is missing.

With a ported system, all bets are off. You likely won't notice anything below your system's tuning frequency, and you won't know what you're missing.

Looks like I'll give this one a miss.

Archived