2. 2. Recommendation?

The Incredibles:

Level - 4 Stars (111.97dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (15Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.61Hz)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes - Unfortunately, the center, left, right and LFE channels are riddled with clipped waveforms.

JSS

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-20-0-88219000-1397181027_thumb.jpg

Haha you must not be a fan of animated movies, cuz you're always voting "Rent."  ;)

I really like this movie, with its unique plot and epic scenes.  It aptly describes the rat race, and the race to escape it, but does so in a humorous and unobtrusive way as to still keep it fun for kids.

As for the execution, I had to knock off one star for the terrible clipping, and one for the lack of extension.  Pretty pedestrian sound in some respects, though I did like the room-enveloping surround + LFE work in the Lava room scene(s).  It's hard for me to believe that this one's 10 years old already...

I usually only vote 'Buy' for movies that I want to re-watch, or for ones that I like so much I look into the special features/commentaries.  While the WWZ grenade scene is impressive, I still would not buy that film.  No desire to see it again.  

JSS 

While the WWZ grenade scene is impressive, I still would not buy that film.  No desire to see it again.  

JSS 

OT sorry. I agree about only renting that movie, but I don't see why everyone finds the grenade impressive. I didn't find it 'fit' the scene. I've never known a grenade to make a downward sine sweep, although my experience with grenades is limited. Loud - ya it's loud. It caused an airleak in one of my subs :angry:  But it didn't fit the scene :mellow:

Agreed.  Grenades are very sharp, dynamic sounds.  When you look at one up close (25m away through plexiglass) it looks like a time-travel trick.  You see it sitting on the ground, then without a fireball, or expanding pillar of flame, there is just a huge dust cloud.  It looks as if you were 'moved forward' in time, it expands so fast (so do the bits of metal that shred folks).  Further away, it is kind of a schuk! sound.  Dynamic, short, impossibly loud, and then all you hear are echoes/reverbs of it.

Hollywood makes up for the lack of immediate SPL by giving us lower dB sustained SPL.  Sometimes they do a great job.  That Helo ride to Santa Monica in Battle:LA is very good, so are the warp booms in the first Star Trek, as are the individual bomb blasts from the B-2's bombing run in TF2.  As close as the medium will let you get to the 'sharpness' of a real H.E. explosion, but I am waiting for the next great sound designer to surprise me and do better.  While sweeps were awesome in 2007-2009, they are nearly worn the hell out in films nowadays.....used too often to be impactful in any way.  

JSS

• 1 year later...

Archived