The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Execution and Recommendation Poll - CLOSED

nube

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.67dB composite)

Extension - 1 Stars (26Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.92dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-00749800-1396985334_thumb.png

Yep.  While it is a slight improvement over the 1st in The Hobbit series, what the hell are they thinking compared to the original LOTR trilogy?  There was no good reason for them to change from the team who designed/mixed the original LOTR movies, as they were outstanding in nearly all respects.

The explanation for the extension rating, as well as the other ratings categories, is in the first post of the Low Frequency Content Thread, below the ratings.

Basically, the extension rating is the -10dB point of whichever results in a better rating, the green (peak) or red (average) trace of the PvA graph of the entire movie.

For the budget and principals (and their sonic history) involved, no 'hate to say' is necessary.  They simply allowed the highpass knob to be turned up....Predator (the first one) has a similar PvA.  Seems like all that was cared about in this film was finding ways to include all the old cast and selling the HFR.

JSS 

I gave it 2 stars and rent.  It has more bass than the first one, but I still don't like the movie.

Compared to some of ya'll, taking this mix as a whole, I didn't think the sound design and mixing was very good at all.  There were several points in the movie where the surround sound field seemed to disappear for no reason.  Remember the Balrog scenes from LOTR: FOTR?  Epic, right?  The Smaug scenes should have been designed and mixed like that.  They weren't.

I just re-read The Hobbit.  It's a solid book with a pretty good story.  These Hobbit movies are dumbed down trash.  So much of the plot and dialog is contrived, and feels like a money grab.  It's like the recent Star Wars reboot compared to the original three.  This Hobbit trilogy (so far) has none of the qualities that made the LOTR trilogy great.

Hmm, I will have to rewatch for the surround field drop outs.  Didn't notice them the first time around.  Was too busy moaning about the lack of bass lol.

Agreed on the money grab.  This book was a part 1 and part 2 film at MOST.  The extra writing and story telling is just fluff to stretch the story line out to three films.

Almost like Peter Jackson thinks he can re-write the Hobbit better than Tolkien...NOT...even close.

IMO, this is worse than the SW trilogy reboot (which was pretty bad as far as stories go, but the sound mix is pretty darn good considering how old they are now, and it at least has some demo worthy bass material to go along with it).

• 1 month later...

FINALLY saw this.  Man, this film sucks.  The audio is just slightly better than the first Hobbit, but that's like saying it's the turd w/ the least flies on it.  Agreed on the 'worse than the SW prequel trilogy' statement.  Episode I and II had great LF/ULF effects for their time, this series has neither the plot to keep you interested nor the sound to make it real.  This story was at most 2 films worth of time.  No need to extend it to 3, and to change the story so much.  I cannot imagine what an ass-whipping it would be to watch the 'extended cuts' of these films....

JSS

Archived