The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Its awful Im afraid to say :(

That's a damn shame! I thought the LFE would be better this time around. still look forward to watching it again & to seeing the graphs just to see how bad use LFE is?

47 Ronin (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.52dB composite)

Extension - 1 Stars (38Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.18dB)

Execution - Will poll

Overall     - TBD

Recommendation - Will poll

Notes:  This is not an April Fool's Day joke.  It really has a -10dB point of 38Hz.  Hah!

PvA:

attachicon.gif47Ronin-PvA.PNG

I had really high hopes for this film, for some reason I thought the LFE would be stonking on this, looks like I was wrong...nevermind!

That's a damn shame! I thought the LFE would be better this time around. still look forward to watching it again & to seeing the graphs just to see how bad use LFE is?

Yeah looking forward to graphs as well But was weak bass wise It's maybe a touch better than the first but only because of the smaug sequence. Such a shame as it really lacks impact :(  I sometimes wonder what the pro sites are using for there sound equipment as the review on the bluray mentions the complaints about weak LFE & said they had no problems at all & sounded outstanding.

This was from bluray.com

There was a small but vocal minority of audiophiles who expressed concern over An Unexpected Journey's lossless audio mix because its low-end output wasn't all it could be. I admittedly didn't notice anything amiss at the time of my review, and still find it difficult to discern any shortcoming when revisiting the first film's Blu-ray release. Did I encounter any such issue with Desolation of Smaug? No, although those who pore over specs and bitrates may find the same problem here. So why even bring it up? I too want the best that a studio can deliver, so bravo to those who uncover these sorts of things. It's important to know. I just wonder how much of the offending issue is actually perceptible to the human ear and how much is driven by the power of tech-spec suggestion. 

Oh well Maybe Hobbit 3 will be better :) 

All good suggestions, bao.  Thanks!  I'll start working on getting those added, but it'll probably take a little while.  ;)

Take your time. I will play around with existing columns. I will try contribute by doing some movies for you guys at some point. I don't know how yet.

Also, if you guys setup a paypal donate button, i would contribute. You guys are doing an awful lot of work that is greatly appreciated.

I watched Desolation of Smaug several nights ago. It's better LFE than the first Hobbit movie but it's no deep bass monster sadly. To me it's a nicely done soundtrack but the lack of really deep LFE is really shameful. There's decent LFE during the Smaug scenes but not what one would expect for such a fearsome dragon. Overall it's better than The Hobbit soundwise but it could've and should've been so much more. A demo worthy opportunity wasted :(

Yeah looking forward to graphs as well But was weak bass wise It's maybe a touch better than the first but only because of the smaug sequence. Such a shame as it really lacks impact :(  I sometimes wonder what the pro sites are using for there sound equipment as the review on the bluray mentions the complaints about weak LFE & said they had no problems at all & sounded outstanding.

This was from bluray.com

There was a small but vocal minority of audiophiles who expressed concern over An Unexpected Journey's lossless audio mix because its low-end output wasn't all it could be. I admittedly didn't notice anything amiss at the time of my review, and still find it difficult to discern any shortcoming when revisiting the first film's Blu-ray release. Did I encounter any such issue with Desolation of Smaug? No, although those who pore over specs and bitrates may find the same problem here. So why even bring it up? I too want the best that a studio can deliver, so bravo to those who uncover these sorts of things. It's important to know. I just wonder how much of the offending issue is actually perceptible to the human ear and how much is driven by the power of tech-spec suggestion. 

Oh well Maybe Hobbit 3 will be better :) 

I often wonder the same thing. That reviewer is full of BS! Tech spec suggestion??? Yeah right :rolleyes:  Anyone with half a decent subwoofer could easily tell that the bass is anemic in the first Hobbit movie. Smaug is better but falls short as well.

• Like 1

We'll see how Smaug shapes up when I measure it sometime next week.

I updated the spreadsheet to include links to each measurement.  Let me know if you find any errors.  I'll start working on those extra columns soon.  The track type and release year will both take a fair bit of time to compile.

I had a chance to rewatch Desolation of Smaug and it's way better than the first Hobbit movie soundwise. The Smaug scene is the highlight of the movie as expected. I'm not sure how low it extends but there is some very nice LFE during the Smaug  scenes. It's good to see that this is NOT a repeat of the first one. This movie has a really enjoyable sound design and the louder you play it the better it sounds. I think many here will be satisfied when they give it a listen on their systems. All that's left is for Nube to reveal how deep the LFE extends.

Walking With Dinosaurs 2013 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.44dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.83dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  This one has legit content down low, but it's a terrible movie - couldn't even make it halfway through, and I generally like animated kids movies.  I'll add some graphs of the content later.

PvA:

post-17-0-80974800-1396542507_thumb.png

Kung Fu Panda (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.74dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.41dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Speaking of animated movies, this is a legendary bass movie because of the Skadoosh scene.  The rest of it is pretty good, too, although it has a steep filter/rolloff of the bass starting @ 26Hz..  Solid sound design & mixing, great animation, and a decent plot make for a very good presentation all-around.  This one's among my favorite animated movies of all time.

PvA:

post-17-0-58310300-1396583830_thumb.png

Skadoosh Scene

post-17-0-70191000-1396583902_thumb.png

• Like 1

Megamind (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.73dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (14.9Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.92dB)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Notes:  Another animated movie that does fairly well, aside from being lower level.

PvA:

post-17-0-11407900-1396584301_thumb.png

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect this old one, but I was wondering if it was confirmed that the Lord of the Rings blu ray had a high pass filter applied? I'm putting together a huge compilation of demo scenes from my blu ray and DVD collection onto my hard drive and wanted to know if I should rip from my DVD box set or my blu ray box set. Thanks for any help you can provide. You guys do AMAZING work on this site.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.67dB composite)

Extension - 1 Stars (26Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.92dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-08338000-1396985261_thumb.png

Clash of the Titans (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.65dB composite)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.92dB)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-55007300-1397011182_thumb.png

Marley (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (104.33dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.89dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Notes:  While not a bass movie, I figured I'd measure it since I got it from Netflix.  Pretty solid documentary if you're a fan of Bob.  It has one big bass moment that goes deep; otherwise the bass is all reggae bass riffs appropriately high in the range.

PvA:

post-17-0-02182800-1397011534_thumb.png

Movies like Rush, Dredd, etc have significant <20Hz content.  There are %-wise, more films with ULF included than there were 10 years ago.  But it seems worse because lots of the big blockbuster type films have a rolloff, at times a very significant one.

JSS

Clash of the Titans (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.65dB composite)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.92dB)

Execution - Will poll

Overall     - TBD

Recommendation - Will poll

PvA:

attachicon.gifClashOfTheTitans-PvA.PNG

this is great news!  I have had this sitting int he wrapper for a while now...now I gotta break it out!

It's like all current movies are being mixed using the lowest common denominator, HTIB systems. Almost makes me wonder what's the point in having high resolution playback system

Definitely not. I don't know where this started or why it continues to live on ....like small drivers having faster bass. :P

They mix to the standards of typical cinemas. Mains with dual 15's or better, often not bass managed (until very recently and often with newer installs) with extension on their own to 30-40hz. Surrounds with far less extension also not commonly bass managed. Then there is the bass system often of which is 2-4 18's or better and those are almost always tuned in the ~30hz region.

This is the standard for cinema. This is what is mixed to except maybe for near field which is more like studio monitors.

Btw, HTiB systems, like any brand name product, is packed in with self protection limiters of all sorts. They have to make them idiot proof. Now I'm not saying nobody has ever broken a small cheap HTiB system but it's not like it's happening left and right. Nobody with a HTiB watches BHD for good reason. :rolleyes:  Ugh.

Movies like Rush, Dredd, etc have significant <20Hz content.  There are %-wise, more films with ULF included than there were 10 years ago.  But it seems worse because lots of the big blockbuster type films have a rolloff, at times a very significant one.

JSS

Truth.

It is frustrating that all the big stuff get's the chop. But we do know why... Bigger, louder.