The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

An old request:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (DTS):

Level - 4 Stars (110.94dB)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.77dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes - I have not ever seen this film, will check it out this weekend.  It looks like it will deliver in the LF region, the DTS track is a tiny bit hotter with more mid-upper bass, and it is what I went with for the measurements.  Both tracks use a -4dB DialNorm, which was reversed for these (and all other) d-b measurements.

SkyCaptainDTS.thumb.jpg.1618b96d24bbe6caec9655528eb4e7aa.jpg

JSS

Captain Phillips (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.3dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.7dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes: This isn't your typical bass movie, but it was good enough that the Academy nominated it for both the Sound Editing and Sound Mixing awards this year. This should tell you something about how good this mix is.  It has truckloads of low level, extremely low frequency bass that is used to amazing effect, creating unbelievable tension throughout the movie.  That's also why the dynamics are so low.

This isn't a big, in-your-face action movie or thriller.  There are almost no high amplitude effects (read as:  no demo scenes at all), yet it has a ton of bass that adds so much to the experience.  It proves that great movie mixes don't have to do things in the formulaic way many have come to expect from their action flicks - loud explosions, clipped content, or predictable effects and sweeps.  I think it also shows the value of the lowest octaves in storytelling - they are essential for creating that immersive feeling that the best movies have, and it's certainly in evidence here. 

Oh yeah, the movie is also pretty good all-around.  Though not a typical bass movie, and probably not a movie I'll ever re-watch, this one delivers in nearly every aspect of entertainment.  That is, unless all you want is kaboom boom; in that case, look elsewhere.

PvA:

post-17-0-47603500-1390312031_thumb.png

An old request:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (DTS):

Level - 4 Stars (110.94dB)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.77dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

Notes - I have not ever seen this film, will check it out this weekend.  It looks like it will deliver in the LF region, the DTS track is a tiny bit hotter with more mid-upper bass, and it is what I went with for the measurements.  Both tracks use a -4dB DialNorm, which was reversed for these (and all other) d-b measurements.

JSS

Wow. Will have to revisit this. Movie blows, but if it's got that much LFE goodness, then it's worth another spin.

• Like 1

Ninja added to queue.  You would be surprised at the hilarity that will ensue when you type 'ninja' into a movie search......ninja cheerleaders?  Seriously?

JSS

Ninja Cheerleaders? :o  Not only that, they also have Cheerleader Ninjas! Us guys are screwed if this catches on! :P

It is one of the few movies graphed that if was surprised it didn't dig deeper. Usually I'm a pretty good judge of that. For example when bolt is leaping over the helicopter at the beginning things rattle in my house with a hint of sound coming out and the couch shakes. Usually an indicator of low Hz. BOLT tricked me!! Haha

Thanks for all the graphs. This is my favorite thread ok doubt and has opened me up to some great films!! (Serenity, golden compass etc)

Still curious about Kung fu skadoosh scene (did I miss it?)

How about the incredibles? And to the poster a few posts back. I have indeed noticed tons of kids movies have incredible bass and sound. Make watching them over and over with my son that much easier haha

Max/Nube,

Thanks for hard work you guys have been doing to keep this list updated and for sharing the info!  It’s an fantastic idea/effort, awesome thread and it’s greatly appreciated!

There are few movies I’d like to see the PvA for as well their ratings whenever you have the time:

The Conjuring

Evil Deal (2013)

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Blue Crush

Thx again! 

Hey guys, I am trying to run spec lab again but this time I am using my HDMI computer with a bluray player.  So I want the computer and bluray drive be the source and then connect my mic and HDMI to my AVR for my rom spec lab graph and then compare it to digital but I am having a hard time getting the digital to work.  Am I choosing the correct sound card or not sure what I am missing.  I can take this to PM or the other thread if you guys wish. 

Surprised to see that Baraka (1992) hasn't been measured yet. This one has just become my demo disc. Contains jaw-dropping visuals originally shot on 70mm film accompanied with intense deep bass of often real-life origin. Made me jump on my seat a few times in the first 30 minutes. Then came the scene where they were cutting down a huge tree. This time I had enough time to prepare myself for the sound of the tree falling down, but the resulting shockwave still managed to surprise me, and this was only at -7db reference! The soundtrack is recorded so hot, anything over -5db  is too intense for me. There is some clipping at high frequencies (namely the pan flute heard in the beginning). I don't know if LFE is clipped too, but I'm positive that there is no filtering (my system is flat down to 10hz).

The Golden Compass:

Level - 4 Stars (110.65dB)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.18dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

This film has a terrific soundtrack, too bad they couldn't make any sequels....Look at the sweep (attached)

JSS

Bass was AWESOME in this! As was overall sound

Why can't they make anymore?!

Huge pushback from the Catholic League, and many other factors, lots of the same flak Harry Potter got, but worse.  In the books, The Magisterium is more fully fleshed out to represent organized religion, which was dialed down a lot for the film, but it was still boycotted, etc.  There are possible plans to complete the series with new actors, but nothing firm.

JSS