The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

MK:  looking really good!  Thanks for all your work.

I replayed Skyfall just for the subway train crashing scene, and tickled the clip lights at -10MV on that one big burst you've been mentioning, JSS.  This is likely louder than I will ever be playing anything by about 10 clicks, so I'm not terribly worried, but that scene is the real deal.

Yes it is....look at the waveform on the scene cap!!!! Craziness....only Star Trek and Immortals have done that before...

JSS

Hey folks, sorry for the so long w/o an update deal, been very busy.  I have been longing to eliminate the rolloffs in my signal chain which are only partially compensated for in my current PvA measurement setup.  I think I have found a way to completely eliminate all rolloffs and see bit-for-bit what is on the disc, LFE and bass-management-wise.

Currently, I fight a BD player rolloff, receiver rolloff, and soundcard rolloff when measuring films.  Soon all of these will be bypassed.   

More on this later.

JSS

I'll pick it up at Redbox and see if I can get it graphed with the new, rolloff-free method.  Any specific timestamps for scenes?  Please provide them if you can, begin and end times.

I'll also post a graph of the first Transformers, rolloff free. It is INSANE.  You would need a Thigpen to replicate it.

No promises I can get it done tomorrow.  Been on call all week nights, and have call on Sunday as well.

JSS

Yup, 30Hz film.  Didn't see the need to graph it, unless requested.

JSS

To bad : ( well ok,then we ha to wait for The croods and Epic mrRandy Thom has a finger or two on those ones,first transformer looking forward to it i know i lowed the scene in the end when irondude flips in slo mo,need to re-watch that one : )

Did you know they are working on How to train your dragon 2 will be up 2014,hope Thom and rest of sound crew is back on this one : )

N

Looks like it got the Thor treatment.  I wonder if the same people were involved?

In other news:

Here is what we have been missing:

Remember Transformers?  Yes, the 6 year old film.  Here is the old PvA:

post-20-0-22306600-1371521735_thumb.png

Here it is with zero rolloff:

post-20-0-07003900-1371521918_thumb.png

Quite a difference!!!!

Want to see the scene?

post-20-0-78922800-1371522000_thumb.jpg

Single most ULF-Heavy moment I have ever encountered.  I have yet to measure HTTYD in this same way to compare.

No rolloff.  No player rolloff, no receiver rolloff, no amp rolloff, no MiniDSP roloff, no mic rolloff, no soundcard rolloff.  Just the data on the disc, WITH BASS MANAGEMENT.

JSS

In other news:

Here is what we have been missing:

Remember Transformers? Yes, the 6 year old film. Here is the old PvA:

Transformers.PNG

Here it is with zero rolloff:

TF.PNG

Quite a difference!!!!

Want to see the scene?

Megs Blasts Jazz.jpg

Single most ULF-Heavy moment I have ever encountered. I have yet to measure HTTYD in this same way to compare.

No rolloff. No player rolloff, no receiver rolloff, no amp rolloff, no MiniDSP roloff, no mic rolloff, no soundcard rolloff. Just the data on the disc, WITH BASS MANAGEMENT.

JSS

Is that the Ironhide flip? Or another scene? That's insane. You weren't kidding when you said you need a rotary to reproduce that. That red blob is 1-2 Hz! Are you 100% sure that's in the audio track and not some odd anomaly from measuring/graphing?

Max

Check out the graph on the side of he waterfall. It is real, and it only occurs once in the film. It is about a minute after the Ironhide flip, when Megatron first fires his cannon and shoots Jazz with it. Maybe only a handful of people would be able to do it. You would have to remove the blocking caps from the source, receiver/processor, DSP (if any), and amplifier(s) to do it.

Then again the question arises: Could it be detected if we could reproduce it cleanly? With harmonics at 2,3,4 Hz, who knows?

Any Thigpen users out there?

JSS