The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I understand not being able to consume all the new releases so quickly.  Sorry if you can't make the new release polls before they close, but please do comment on each movie's polling thread when you do finally watch the movie.  Your insights and experience are always appreciated.  :)  Also, luckily there are a lot of older movies that are getting measured that I'm sure you've seen!  :)

Will "Edge Of Tomorrow" be the "Oblivion" of 2015? Here's hoping!

I picked Edge of Tomorrow a year ago to be a front runner, I hope it holds to what it should be. I have a feeling that Tom Cruise is a bass fan. We got allot on tap this year. HTTYD 2 should be great, X men and Godzilla. I took my daughter to see Spiderman 2 last weekend and it was OK, but the thing on my mind was the bass that was non stop in the theater next door which was Godzilla. I read that the new X Men movie was great, lets hope it gets mixed right!  Looking forward to September for sure, we should have some bass delight headed our way. 

The Three Musketeers (2011) (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.76dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.51dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  From the very beginning, this one contains big content from 5-10Hz.  Prodigious bass throughout, and it's definitely not filtered.  A monstrous track, oddly with DC noise associated with every single bass effect in the movie.  However, that 4Hz spike is legit, and not just one scene or effect.

PvA:

post-17-0-78623800-1401669022_thumb.png

• Like 3

I'll measure whatever I can get. Unfortunately, Goldeneye in Blu-ray isn't on Netflix. Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough are, though.

As for Lone Survivor, if people have sealed subs and don't get serious excursion and pressurization from their subs in the noted scene, they either have severe roll-off in their signal chain or not enough subs. It's legit.

Can you give a time stamp?

Lone Survivor (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.42dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.01dB)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Notes:  This has several chopper scenes with long bursts at 6.4Hz, but nothing between there and 19Hz.  One of these in particular is like the F'ing Irene scene from Black Hawk Down, but lasts for a full minute!!! See below for graphs and timestamps in the file names.  

Besides every chopper scene, there isn't much below 20Hz, but bass effects still sound good, and are sometimes used in ways that you might not expect from an action/war flick.  Pretty decent movie, too, with some solid surround work.  It didn't hurt that the filming locations are my backyard, and I recognized a lot of the peaks and ridges from backpacking them.

PvA:

post-17-0-00351100-1401800694_thumb.png

SpecLab scenecaps:

post-17-0-78182600-1401800721_thumb.png

post-17-0-08857700-1401800751_thumb.png

• Like 1

Robocop (2014) (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.62dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (14.7Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.27dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Not much about this one stood out, except for the large amount of effects at 17Hz in two scenes.  Otherwise, the bass content isn't that much of an improvement over the original in terms of measurements. The remastered original was measured here.

PvA:

post-17-0-19734600-1401816932_thumb.png

Was Minority Report ever measured? Was a great movie. 

I said it a couple of time already, but Lone Survivor is one of the greatest soundtracks I have come across yet. I have a couple that have been my tops for a long time and they are Dark Knight Rises and Unstoppable was another, but Lone Survivor just edged them both out. Sure there are hundreds of good movies, but some are just special. I really think the industry is just getting better and finally giving us what we want.

Yep, Minority Report is in the 3.25-Stars list.  Can't say I'm a fan of either TDKR or Unstoppable (which I just measured and will post in a minute), but the ambient and surround work on Lone Survivor is pretty great. 

I also have measurements of what may become the next full 5-Star movie!  It's not a new one, but I'll post in a minute.

Unstoppable (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.52dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.4dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  Crazy amounts of bass above 30Hz, but steadily less below that.  This one just didn't bring the bass unless you think you hear rather than feel a half-mile long runaway freight train.  When I had ported subs, I thought this was really good.  Now, with sealed, I realize what it was missing.

PvA:

post-17-0-79583000-1401896018_thumb.png

War Horse (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.21dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.2dB)

Overall     - 5 Stars!!

Notes:  We might have found our next 5-Star movie, folks.  When I first viewed it and commented at AVS (my embarrassing posts to be found here and here), I had a single ported sub.  On a review of the BR from Netflix last night with a lot more sealed horsepower (hah), I found out what I was missing - a TON.  I have to eat a lot of crow on this one because I was wrong, and War Horse is an absolute MONSTER bass movie!

From the outset, the effects in War Horse are full-bandwidth, with a ton of deep content from 5-10Hz and above.  Though it doesn't skimp on midbass by any means, many of the biggest effects seem to have content to DC.  The war scene starting around the 1hr30min mark is spectacular! 

Fantastic sound design overall, with very immersive and convincing surround work.  Gary Rydstrom and his team did quite an amazing job, coupling huge levels with great extension and superb dynamics!  This is worth rewatching before you vote, as it's a pretty decent movie to boot.

PvA:

post-17-0-78833900-1401896455_thumb.png

SpecLab scenecaps:

post-17-0-05788600-1401899075_thumb.png

post-17-0-50502100-1401899104_thumb.png

post-17-0-58060000-1401899185_thumb.png

post-17-0-38416400-1401899209_thumb.png

post-17-0-02726000-1401899225_thumb.png

post-17-0-05157800-1401899250_thumb.png

post-17-0-76187100-1401899275_thumb.png

post-17-0-49443000-1401899304_thumb.png

This is too funny that you added this one today. I was in my basement this morning and saw it down there with a bunch of dvd's (for some reason this was released in DVD case not a bluray case)

I thought hmmm I remember that one having decent bass (I am in the same boat as you I had a little sb12 when I watched it)

Then this post comes up!! Must research tomorrow night then I will vote.

It's sappy for sure, but well-made and worth watching as long as you don't have expectations of a gruesome action war flick.  I grew up with horses, so it's silly and hard to watch because it's so totally unrealistic, but it's not a bad movie, per se.

Yep, Minority Report is in the 3.25-Stars list.  Can't say I'm a fan of either TDKR or Unstoppable (which I just measured and will post in a minute), but the ambient and surround work on Lone Survivor is pretty great. 

I also have measurements of what may become the next full 5-Star movie!  It's not a new one, but I'll post in a minute.

The two movies I mentioned are good sound tracks vs deep bass which I compared to Lone Survivor. Good movies, good surround work and good solid bass. I watched War Horse, but I think I seen it on HBO and had to be on my earlier set ups. I have to re watch everything on my new system to see what I was missing as well. When my theater is finished, I am going to re watch my entire BR catalog again.That should keep me busy for some time, along with the new. :)