The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I don't understand, just looking at the measurements Thor 2 is a better bass movie, is all this best bass movie ever stuff because they like the movie that much.  I have seen it at Imax(I watch all my movies now at Imax) and don't go otherwise.  It was not the best audio experience at even Imax.  I liked the movie though. 

although I replied to you at AVS.  I do not take the actual movie into consideration when talking about bass.  I think it made me feel EXACTLY what it would be like to be in a spacesuit and bumping into things etc.  exactly what sound design is supposed to sound like.

Ninja (the first one) was one of the worst movies I have ever seen but the bass was incredible....no where near the best presentation of bass by any stretch...better than Gravity (in quantity and depth? yes...but better overall not even in the same conversation)

thus why we have these discussions...but I am able to separate my emotional thoughts of the movie with the bass I experienced on my HT with my ears. again....it was the best BASS PRESENTATION  in a movie I have ever experienced....no where did I say it was the best bass movie...to me that honor goes to TIH

:)

I understand but real effects to stop at 18hz so to me saying it makes you think you are in space because it is most likely due to the video which at Imax was fantastic.  Pacific rim had loud bass to 20hz but there are better movies that made huge objects more real.  This is the same discussion I had with Bosso and the door slam transient. Our real door slams get down to 3hz in room yet movies have them at 20hz.  Even though the effect at 20hz was great for the movie it was not real at all.  Maybe they used a different door or something or they digitized it for their systems.  IDK, it seems like every movie that feels more real has better bandwidth and I don't even know it does.  FOTP has awesome 32hz stuff but that whole scene has lots of weight to it because it has low frequencies, not once did Pacific rim or the Avengers have that feeling. I like all these movies. 

BTW, I did not know it was you on both threads, so there is not lots of talk just you giving an opinion.  Makes more sense and you are surely entitled to your opinion.  However, some of your reasoning on why(real) does not jive with me because real sounds are not filtered.  I understand opinion as my friend's favorite scene is the Bat taking off from TDKR(the bass). To each their own which is what makes life interesting.  If we all agreed it would get boring fast. 

• Like 1

I understand but real effects to stop at 18hz so to me saying it makes you think you are in space because it is most likely due to the video which at Imax was fantastic.  Pacific rim had loud bass to 20hz but there are better movies that made huge objects more real.  This is the same discussion I had with Bosso and the door slam transient. Our real door slams get down to 3hz in room yet movies have them at 20hz.  Even though the effect at 20hz was great for the movie it was not real at all.  Maybe they used a different door or something or they digitized it for their systems.  IDK, it seems like every movie that feels more real has better bandwidth and I don't even know it does.  FOTP has awesome 32hz stuff but that whole scene has lots of weight to it because it has low frequencies, not once did Pacific rim or the Avengers have that feeling. I like all these movies. 

BTW, I did not know it was you on both threads, so there is not lots of talk just you giving an opinion.  Makes more sense and you are surely entitled to your opinion.  However, some of your reasoning on why(real) does not jive with me because real sounds are not filtered.  I understand opinion as my friend's favorite scene is the Bat taking off from TDKR(the bass). To each their own which is what makes life interesting.  If we all agreed it would get boring fast. 

I hear you...

I guess my only way of describing it was (and I agree about the door slam in real ilfe) this was literally the first time it felt like my ears were going to pop because of a movie...it was that real. it was perfectly muffled when needed as if you were in the suit... was it 100% accurate? welll...i guess noone will ever know that but an astronaut.  but again I strongly feel depth only tells part of the story when rating a bass scene (although it can tell a bunch more of that story if it is filtered higher...even though I am a no filter proponent..I can "accept" a filter if it starts at 20hz...30hz not so much)...would Gravity have been EVEN better  :o if it dug deeper?  probably...but it still doesn't change my opinion on it as it stands... :ph34r:

Where do you guys find all these smiley's?  Is that a ninja smiley?  Cool.  I have not even watched Gravity yet in my room but I thought Elysium was great for it's bass.  I like Amazing spider man, Dredd, etc..  It seems Gravity was supposed to be like these but it is filtered so I am expecting not as good as the others.  The best part of this thread is that one can expect good things from the ratings.  When I see a film that has 5 stars everywhere but level I know the bass will be awesome.  When I see a movie that has high level too it will be a rare event!  The movies with loud levels and filtered are all starting to sound the same to me.  I am very lucky to love the score of MoS and movie because it makes me over look the filtered track.  I am a sucker for super hero movies and especially Superman.  I don't ever use MoS for demo purposes, I leave that for LOTR as scores are concerned or TDK.  They both have nice bass as well.  If I want Bass I throw in WOTW, FOTP, TIH, and I have not yet watched Star Trek with the new setup. 

Notes:  I think I may be a little spoiled when it comes to movies with bass, because I didn't think this one's mix was anything special.  However, it's up for both Academy Awards for Sound Mixing and Sound Editing, so somebody must have loved it!  This movie uses a lot of 20-26Hz rumble that creates a room shuddering effect, but not a whole lot else really worth mentioning, and looking at the measurements, it has the steepest filter I've ever seen at 20Hz. 

While there are other bass moments, I didn't think they were particularly well-designed - I felt like a whole lot of ELF could be used in place or in conjunction with that 20Hz stuff and, for a space movie that you might think would have perfectly quiet scenes, it didn't pull off impressive dynamics like it could/should.  I think what is there is used appropriately, even fairly artfully with some of the surround work that combines well with the interesting CGI cinematography, but in the context of this thread it didn't knock my socks off.  While the movie was good, it wasn't great, nor was the mix.

Since this was mixed for Dolby Atmos, it maybe followed the the Dolby Atmos specifications for speakers/subs:

Dolby Atmos does not place new demands on the screen loudspeakers. Existing best practice still applies. The loudspeakers must be capable of full dynamic range digital cinema content playback through a cinema screen, with a response that conforms to ISO 2969:1987/SMPTE ST 202:2010 specifications. To ensure this performance, the following specifications are provided.

2 Screen Loudspeakers

2.2 Sound Pressure Level: 105 dB

2.3 Frequency Range: 40 Hz to 16 kHz, +3/–6 dB
2.4 Frequency Response: 80 Hz to 16 kHz, ±3 dB

3 Screen Subwoofer 
3.1 Sound Pressure Level: +10 dB (Compared to Center Speaker)
3.2 Frequency Response: 31.5–120 Hz, ±3 dB

4 Surround Loudspeakers
4.3 Surround Loudspeaker Sound Pressure Level: 99 dB
4.4 Surround Array Sound Pressure Level: 105 dB
4.5 Surround Sound Frequency Response: 40 Hz to 16 kHz, +3/–6 dB

5 Surround Subwoofers
5.2 Surround Subwoofer Frequency Response: 40–120 Hz, +3/–6 dB
5.3 Surround Subwoofer Sound Pressure Level: 0 dB (Compared to Center Speakers)

Perhaps, DD, but you should also consider the director and mixer talking, in that Soundworks Collection video that bosso posted, about how Gravity was initially mixed for 7.1, then remixed for Atmos, but then we got a 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix on the retail BR disc.  Thus, I'm not sure we can conclude anything about Atmos interfering with or contributing to the retail disc mix we have.

Perhaps, DD, but you should also consider the director and mixer talking, in that Soundworks Collection video that bosso posted, about how Gravity was initially mixed for 7.1, then remixed for Atmos, but then we got a 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix on the retail BR disc.  Thus, I'm not sure we can conclude anything about Atmos interfering with or contributing to the retail disc mix we have.

Thanks. I guess I should have watched the video before commenting. I've enjoyed the Soundworks Collection stuff in the past. 

Gangster Squad (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.1dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (20Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.64dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-41553300-1393690876_thumb.png

Bullet (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.7dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (10Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.01dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by executive decision on stalled polling)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-24434000-1393940668_thumb.png

9 really is a sleeper of a movie - it sits on the shelf at the store in the cartoon / animated section looking innocent and child-friendly enough, yet it's a very dark tale with sometimes scary moments and tension, and it covers some very adult themes, such as death and loss, challenging authoritarian regimes, war, the dark side of human nature...

The fact that it has killer LFE really makes the film an all-encompassing experience IMHO - it would definitely lack a lot without it!

If you've not watched it or aren't sure about it, get it! :)

• Like 1

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.8dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.59dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-59688000-1394210938_thumb.png

• Like 1

I like this thread way better than the AVS one - this one seems much more objective, empirical, scientific than AVS. AVS seemed ad-hoc and didn't even explain the objective numbers required for 5.0, 4.5 etc.

It seemed too subjective.

Thank you !!!

You have a regular reader here. I will try contribute some graphs.

Can you have a link to an Excel spreadsheet with the movies down column A and the attributes across top of page (columns B, C. D, E, F)

That way I can download xls and then sort the movies according to my preference.

e.g. sort by dynamics, then extension.

just a thought

thanks