The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

It is one of the few movies graphed that if was surprised it didn't dig deeper. Usually I'm a pretty good judge of that. For example when bolt is leaping over the helicopter at the beginning things rattle in my house with a hint of sound coming out and the couch shakes. Usually an indicator of low Hz. BOLT tricked me!! Haha

Thanks for all the graphs. This is my favorite thread ok doubt and has opened me up to some great films!! (Serenity, golden compass etc)

Still curious about Kung fu skadoosh scene (did I miss it?)

How about the incredibles? And to the poster a few posts back. I have indeed noticed tons of kids movies have incredible bass and sound. Make watching them over and over with my son that much easier haha

I posted the Skadoosh scene's graph over at AVS, and it was reposted recently by somebody else I think.

I'd like to see someone put up The Fifth Element. The "count to ten" balcony explosion toward the end of the movie sounded like it went pretty low even on my measly system lol

This is one of my favorite movies ever, because it's so, so silly, and it really deserves to be measured.  I'll consider that and try to get the disc at my next opportunity.  :)

Max/Nube,

Thanks for hard work you guys have been doing to keep this list updated and for sharing the info!  It’s an fantastic idea/effort, awesome thread and it’s greatly appreciated!

There are few movies I’d like to see the PvA for as well their ratings whenever you have the time:

The Conjuring

Evil Deal (2013)

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Blue Crush

Thx again! 

The Conjuring has some disc issues that, at least for now, prevent us from measuring it.  It says "[0:16:06] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity).  <WARNING>" when trying to extract the digital audio. I'm not much into it horror movies anyway.  :)  Also, did you mean Evil Dead (2013)?  If so, looks like maxmercy has you covered.  :)

Hey guys, I am trying to run spec lab again but this time I am using my HDMI computer with a bluray player.  So I want the computer and bluray drive be the source and then connect my mic and HDMI to my AVR for my rom spec lab graph and then compare it to digital but I am having a hard time getting the digital to work.  Am I choosing the correct sound card or not sure what I am missing.  I can take this to PM or the other thread if you guys wish. 

No sound card required for the process of analyzing digital audio from discs; prolly need to refer to PMs for more info.  Desertdome had a good tutorial for doing this in the AVS new master list of bass in movies thread.  Just search for his name in that thread, and it's like the 6th or 7th post listed by recency.

nube.

Any chance you could get the golden oldie "The Hauning" with dts soundtrack a test,only availible on dvd so far,those doorslams at ref volume scares me : ) a Gary Rydstrom thing around 30Hz but holy smoke : )

Nicle

I'm not much into horror films, but we'll see what maxmercy and I can come up with.

Surprised to see that Baraka (1992) hasn't been measured yet. This one has just become my demo disc. Contains jaw-dropping visuals originally shot on 70mm film accompanied with intense deep bass of often real-life origin. Made me jump on my seat a few times in the first 30 minutes. Then came the scene where they were cutting down a huge tree. This time I had enough time to prepare myself for the sound of the tree falling down, but the resulting shockwave still managed to surprise me, and this was only at -7db reference! The soundtrack is recorded so hot, anything over -5db  is too intense for me. There is some clipping at high frequencies (namely the pan flute heard in the beginning). I don't know if LFE is clipped too, but I'm positive that there is no filtering (my system is flat down to 10hz).

Baraka is one of my favorites movies of all time as well.  Glad to see this one get mentioned; looks like maxmercy has you covered!  :)

Is Machete graphed also? I just watched that and nothing seemed to stand out (although that could have been the -30 as I don't want to make up the people on the other side of the wall).

Are you asking if I have any specific graphs of scenes within the movie Machete Kills?  I don't, as I haven't watched it and likely won't.  However, if you have exact timestamps, I'll be happy to graph at least a few of them.  Nothing really stood out for me watching the scroll in SpecLab when getting the PvA graph, although there is moderate single tone content at 5.5Hz and 11Hz a few times throughout the second half of the movie.  For the most part, while not filtered, the majority of hot content is as shown in the red (average RMS) trace in the PvA graph.

Are you asking if I have any specific graphs of scenes within the movie Machete Kills?  I don't, as I haven't watched it and likely won't.  However, if you have exact timestamps, I'll be happy to graph at least a few of them.  Nothing really stood out for me watching the scroll in SpecLab when getting the PvA graph, although there is moderate single tone content at 5.5Hz and 11Hz a few times throughout the second half of the movie.  For the most part, while not filtered, the majority of hot content is as shown in the red (average RMS) trace in the PvA graph.

Na, just wondering if the first movie, titled "Machete" was graphed, but that's okay.  What I watched last night was Australia, with Hugh Jackman.  At -30 the hoof beats were so loud I thought that I was going to wake the neighbors. 1:02 and 1:19 were the notable scenes, if anyone has the movie.

I re-watched ST:iD last night - man, that movie is all over the shop volume-wise...  I had to turn it down and back up again countless times as it was just too much at points then went really quiet and I couldn't hear the dialogue :rolleyes: 

They really failed on this one whereas the first one was much better!

Rush (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.85dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (9Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.98dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  This is an excellent movie with an excellent mix.  Although it clips or is soft limited in a fair amount of places, it's pretty obviously intended, given how racecar engines sound in real life.  It doesn't really detract from the mix or the story.  Bass extension is great, although most of the content is higher in the range. 

Overall great use of sound design and the mixing board to create an incredibly enveloping mix in almost every octave. You wish every movie's sound was designed and mixed like this. Even people who don't care for racing, like me, will enjoy the flick. This one gets a strong BUY recommendation.

PvA:

post-17-0-25472200-1390917447_thumb.png

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.4dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.38dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes: 

PvA:

post-17-0-22249900-1390917972_thumb.png

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.4dB composite)

Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.38dB)

Execution - Will Poll

Overall     - TBD

Recommendation - Will Poll

Notes: 

PvA:

attachicon.gifCloudyWithAChanceofMeatballs2-PvA-HighRes.PNG

Jeez, now that's what you call a filter... :rolleyes::(

Rush (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Execution - Will Poll

Overall     - TBD

Notes:  This is an excellent movie with an excellent mix.  Although it clips or is soft limited in a fair amount of places, it's pretty obviously intended, given how racecar engines sound in real life.  It doesn't really detract from the mix or the story.  Bass extension is great, although most of the content is higher in the range. 

Overall great use of sound design and the mixing board to create an incredibly enveloping mix in almost every octave. You wish every movie's sound was designed and mixed like this. Even people who don't care for racing, like me, will enjoy the flick. This one gets a strong BUY recommendation.

PvA:

attachicon.gifRush-PvA-HighRes.PNG

hell yeah!  being delivered today...watching this one saturday night!

Rush (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Execution - Will Poll

Overall     - TBD

PvA:

Alright, if you say so. I love racing, I love true (sorta) stories, and I love bass. Can't go wrong eh!

EDIT - Bought it. Will hopefully give it a spin this weekend.

I don't recall City of Ember ever being mentioned on any of these bass threads - if it was possible to get some measurements of it that would be cool :)

My feeling is something like a 20-25Hz filter but the bass is nicely done and not that shy, being used sparingly where necessary but then coming in strongly and with a degree of realism IMHO!

Hi there !

Just wondering - gunshots in movies - what hz are we talking about normally - above 20 hz or below 20 hz. I love the gunshots in the movie The International (with Clive Owen) in the Guggenheim museum. A lot of slam bam - but have no idea how it looks. Also unable to find any graphs from that movie.

The International added to queue.

JSS

I measured Last Vegas late yesterday, but it's not worth mentioning.  Nor is anything released next week, besides Escape Plan, which I'll post about next Tuesday.

As for the rest of ya'll, vote in the various polls!  Watch more of these movies and register your opinion on the execution.  Please!  ;)

Rush (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Execution - Will Poll

Overall     - TBD

PvA:

This is a terrific movie.  The fact that it is full bandwidth is icing.  Very compelling story even if you don't care about auto racing.

JSS