The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring - Theatrical BluRay:

Level - 3 Stars (109.3dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.14dB)

Execution - 5 Stars by Poll

Overall - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

This film falls into what I call 'nostalgic memory', or 'good old days syndrome'.  For the time, great LFE, much like Iron Man 1.  But when compared to the heavies, not so much.  I may do the DVDs at some point....

JSS

post-20-0-41525900-1378625469_thumb.jpg

NYSM doesn't have much bass, as Abraham confirms, but a nice bit in CH 3:

02d4325f5e480a8026d4ee3468560e88.png

Chapter 13 also has some nice low end.

But, the movie itself is a great bit of entertainment. I liked this one as much as any I've seen this year, maybe best yet. Cast, effects, story, acting, directing, picture... all top notch and loads of fun. Sound is the only bad mark, IMO. The CC when folks are on mic on stage is not the best and surround steering could have been better and, of course, the low end can always be better.  :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring - Theatrical BluRay:

Level - 3 Stars (109.3dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.14dB)

Execution - Will Poll

Overall - TBA

Recommendation - TBA

This film falls into what I call 'nostalgic memory', or 'good old days syndrome'.  For the time, great LFE, much like Iron Man 1.  But when compared to the heavies, not so much.  I may do the DVDs at some point....

JSS

I bought the extended editions with appendices of the trilogy. The DTS-ES track is definitely world class sound, IMO. The vocals in the CC are the best I've ever heard and the low end is full range and not lacking in level at reference playback.

If the BR version is hacked, I certainly appreciate the heads up and will save the dough.

I still use my extended edition bluray of FOTR and it sounds great to me. I have showed the Balrog scene to a few members and they seem to really like the sound. No, maybe not 5 stars but damn good.

Also it always seems the low level movies get 5 star dynamics because the levels are so much different due to the low level and peaks. I don't think a movie like TIH should get punished in dynamics because I has loud bass most of the time. That should be a good thing!

I agree on the dynamics, to a degree.  It's the best movies that get the 5 stars, though TIH didn't miss by much.  There's a big difference between TIH and something like The Great Gatsby, as the overall scores indicate.  However, there's not much of a difference between TIH and WOTW or Hellboy 2.

It sucked when I ran TIH and it did not get 5 Stars overall (TIH is still my fav).  At the same time, I really enjoy films that have the complete package and do score 5 Stars.  Loud is only loud when compared to something much less, since films are limited in total SPL.  The film Drive hammers that home better than any other.  You would swear that shotgun blast is 10dB louder than it is simply due to the relative level it has over the surrounding content.  It is one of the reasons I like TF2.  Great dynamics in that film, great visefx, even though the script is trash...escapist eye candy at its best.

Any scoring system will have flaws.  I was disappointed that B:LA didn't score higher.  It is a monster, but I am not going to change the system just for a preference....then too many would be 5 Star overall films, and 5 Stars would not mean anything...  IMO, anything over 4-Stars (and some 3.75's) are worth a listen on the list, unless the film is total garbage.

Monster House is looking like 4 Stars and Buy.  I'll leave it up one more day.

I like FOTR.  I just need to measure the extended DVD to see if it was gutted, or if I also have 'good old day' syndrome....

JSS

I don't want you to change anything.  I just feel TIH was punished for more bass than others and not being quiet enough.  I was done right!  I also agree that 5 star films should be rare because it is the best of the best as bass is concerned.  I just think TIH got screwed!  Not enough quiet scenes for crying out loud.  It is what it is and anyone knows that TIH is a demo movie for bass.