The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Thanks for the heads up, Dave.  Last night I had an issue with some other content being very low level, and went back to my AVR to check settings and, sure enough, all channels were low.  When my Harmony remote spazzed out recently, it must have nuked the speaker levels.  That, in addition to the swamp coolers we use here in the desert, and voila.  7-8dB low "sounding." 

I'll edit out that comment from the scoring.  Luckily, this issue with my levels had no impact on the digital analysis of the disc.  I still don't think that Oblivion is exceptional, but it is pretty good and a pretty good movie!

Thanks for Oblivion, that's one of many I've been looking forward to. Not so much wrt the cast, effects, etc, but the premise seems pretty cool. Now, reading the early analysis of the soundtrack it's even more exciting.

Thanks for the graphs.

I want to make an IB using a Baffle wall.  I am worried about the wall flexing too much.

I've enjoyed reading your comments as your system has morphed along the way. Likewise, I'd enjoy your take on IB subwoofing too.

Regarding your concern about wall flex; if you employ an opposed manifold scenario, then any concern transfers from mechanical/reactionary motion, toward pressure based movement,... which I suspect would be easier to deal with as the forces are more equally distributed and dealt with accordingly. And even if you went with a straight-front loaded array, the forces .. although quite strong, can be dealt with brute force mass and bracing.

Re IB vs. other approaches ... IMO, the vast majority of enthusiasts would be better off pursuing multiple small-sealed, distributed and employing some sound-field management techniques for optimization (filtering/time alignment). This topic is really dedicated thread worthy, but wth ... briefly ... I'm a conditional proponent of IB, being quite happy with my own results, but it's not suitable for everybody's room and scenario.

De-constructed, an IB is a sealed sub, without the inherent small box impediments (but it brings it's own limitations too). Both of the two theoretical characteristic advantages that IBs possess, 1.) native efficiency/sensitivity in the lowest octaves (and all the secondary benefits related to that), 2.) the large backspace (and how one can eliminate any potential latent backspace energy impacting the driver's output, etc). Both of these entirely depend on design and implementation.

The backspace requirements are somewhat of a continuum between a small sealed and infinitely large. There's many successful builds representing all backspace sizes. Clearly the drivers can overcome whatever any smallish "quasi" IB airspace presents to them. But IMO, there's real benefits to a truly "infinitely" large backspace with clear area immediately around the driver. Nothing jaw dropping, and perhaps quite subtle to many, ... but significant enough to pursue if the overall situation presented itself accordingly.

In addition to the attributes the baffle wall, employing such a technique really elevates the importance of the rear wall's acoustic characteristics. Nothing that can't easily be dealt with, but for a higher degree of post build satisfaction/performance, being mindful of the simple caveats and best rear wall practices would pay off.

Good luck

Phantom:

This film is riddled by clipping. Attached is how much. Clipping is in red.

JSS

About how often do you encounter such clipping, and how significant is this in use?

Thanks

FOH,

I usually encounter clipping at the -1dB level for some reason (limiters I guess).  This film and a few others have what I call blatant clipping.  Literally running into 0dBFS, and this film does it on a lot of scenes.

But if you count the -1dB clipping just as 'offensive', Iron Man and Iron Man 2 are full of clipping (repulsors), and to a lesser extent, Thor.  You then have to think about the desired effect.  Repulsors sound a lot like a jet engine, which will clip a mic (and effectively, our ears, the eardrum and cilia can only travel so far), and the worst clipping (almost straight square waves) are on the repulsor scenes.  So it may be intentional.  When on such a large scale as this, I may think otherwise.  The thing is: Can you notice?  I'll find out tomorrow night....I'm hoping I will perceive it, but that it won't detract from the film.....we'll see.

But the answer to your question is "more than I would like".  There are a few soundtracks that are truly clip-free, whether by hard limiting or like Phantom above, especially among loud bass-films, like we measure here...

I am expecting Pacific Rim to be a clip and highpass festival.  I hope I am wrong.

JSS

The clipping in Phantom is not as oppressive as in Tron or Immortals, mainly used in the loudest passages to boost LF power, it is noticeable, but not devastating.  Good soundtrack.  LFE-wise, very good.

The film itself is not so good, though.  Too bad.

JSS

I'm a long time watcher of this thread, and its a fantastic read with a bucket load of info  B) .

Anyone interested in doing a graph for the Pacific Rim trailer? I recently viewed one with a DTS  HD track and one clip does feel like it digs quite deep...

If someone wants to have a go I will upload the file to my dropbox account :) .

An oldy but goodie:

Serenity:

Level - 5 Stars (113dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (12Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.24dB)

Execution - 5 Stars. Very Good LFE film. Good use of soft limiting to avoid harsh clipping on this track.

Overall - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - BUY

JSS

post-20-0-22713500-1376453418_thumb.jpg

FOH,

What did you think of Phantom? Did you get a chance to view it?

JSS

Getting back to this, I enjoyed all aspects of Phantom.

Without spoilers for those yet to see it,... I thought the cast was great, the fact based premise, and I dig a nice submarine flick? Ever since I saw Run Silent, Run Deep, in my youth, I've really enjoyed all the elements that make up such films. Little did I know back then that eventually my closest professional colleague, in addition to another close friend from high school, both spent many years in the US Navy including long stints at sea as submariners. One, served during the same years that the film was based upon. And the other served through the 80's. Anyway the stories shared were remarkable to say the least, often focusing on the typical cat-and-mouse games that are prevalent out at sea.

As stated previously in this thread, the surround was nicely done and the effects had the expected weight and other characteristics that make for a good ride. Most all the big explosions were nice, but one effect that was good enough for replay, after replay, was some handgun fire with some surprisingly nice full and deep thumpage on at least one occasion.  

This is a great example of what can be made with a very modest budget of 18 million. Big productions routinely encounter the quarter billion mark these days, some even higher. In hindsight I applaud what's been created here with this type of budget. For some perspective, Beverly Hills Cop 2, over 25 years ago cost more to make then Phantom! Going back even further, Mutiny on the Bounty, in '62 cost more to make! 

I only mention this because I, like many, love the big, outrageously expensive, over the top, action blockbuster productions that typically produce the soundtracks we crave. I had Phantom in my hand in the Family Video, only to perform a quick phone search and see what the budget was. Since I'd never heard of the film, I used that budget info to determine if I'd rent it or not. Seeing 18 mil, I put it down, ... only to find a solid recommendation here a short time later. Oh well, my loss.    

On a semi related note, I've strongly recommended Breaking Bad over the last couple years to everyone I can. The new season started this past week, and damn the sound quality is second to none for a TV production. If one is interested, I recommend starting at the beginning, season one,...extraordinary. Those that currently follow, I'm guessing you already enjoy the sublime audio.. it's really that good.

Thanks

Thanks for the review, FOH! I didn't enjoy it as much, I just couldn't buy Duchovny as his character....but the audio was good, but still not as good as the benchmarks here...

Wth, lemme check. Would you like it to be polled?

JSS

Absolutely. Arguably the best Bass flick of the year so far should be represented on the front page!