The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Chronicle:

Level - 3 Stars (109.95dB composite)

Extension - 1 Star (26Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.75dB)

Execution - 3 Stars - There's just no defending the highpass.  

Overall - 3 Stars.  It can be bumped up to 3.25 if enough folks want to call this a 4-Star Execution film.

Recommendation - RENT.  Decent film if you don't mind 'found footage' films, with shaky-cam throughout.

JSS

post-17-0-50709400-1402680382_thumb.png

Would be nice to see the following movies:

1.The Haunting (dts dvd version) (coming mother scene)

2. Pulse (BD) (especially server room scene)

3. Ratatouille (BD) (shotgun lady+lightning strike)

4. 9 (BD) (i realy like the first scene when he walks on the table and sees the professor on the floor,should be 2 deep/soft pulses there+rest of the content in this nice movie)

5. The Hurt Locker (BD) (.50 cal scene is fantastic)

Best reg // Nicke

Chronicle:

Level - 2 Stars (261.2dBHz)

Extension - 1 Star (25.2Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.5dB)

Execution - 3 Stars - There's just no defending the highpass.  

Overall - 2.5 Stars.  It can be bumped up to 2.75 is enough folks want to call this a 4-Star Execution film.

Recommendation - RENT.  Decent film if you don't mind 'found footage' films, with shaky-cam throughout.

RMS Peak - 115.1dB

LeqZ - 93.9dB

JSS

Man who's the idiot that suggested that movie.???? To my defense my sub doesn't go down below 25hz. Maybe I'll wait till I get some real subs before I recommend another movie.

I think those ratings are accurate enough Max. Thanks for checking it out.

Would be nice to see the following movies:

1.The Haunting (dts dvd version) (coming mother scene)

2. Pulse (BD) (especially server room scene)

3. Ratatouille (BD) (shotgun lady+lightning strike)

4. 9 (BD) (i realy like the first scene when he walks on the table and sees the professor on the floor,should be 2 deep/soft pulses there+rest of the content in this nice movie)

5. The Hurt Locker (BD) (.50 cal scene is fantastic)

Best reg // Nicke

Haunting, Pulse & The Hurt Locker are in the queue.

9 has been rated, but it appears the links on the first page are not working...... :(

JSS

Man who's the idiot that suggested that movie. To my defense my sub doesn't go down below 25hz. Maybe I'll wait till I get some real subs before I recommend another movie.

I think those ratings are accurate enough Max. Thanks for checking it out.

No worries. The bottom of the pile needs to be populated as well.

The best part of getting a lower extending subwoofer system is feeling and hearing what you had been missing out on.....

And with the 115.1dB peak, it is a loud film.

JSS

No worries. The bottom of the pile needs to be populated as well.

The best part of getting a lower extending subwoofer system is feeling and hearing what you had been missing out on.....

And with the 115.1dB peak, it is a loud film.

JSS

Haha thanks for trying to make me feel better. I guess the loudness threw me off.

Looking forward to The Haunting.

Just watched the TDKR on Saturday. I merely glanced at Bossos' shots before watching. I did think, that's odd that most of the stuff he grabbed was in the first 10minutes. Watched it and was like wow, fun opening scene (even though the LFE seemed almost more a part of the score than effects). But then the rest was really weak. Well, weak in the ULF. Lots of 30+. Lot of thumps and bumps, but nothing I could taste the air with.

So I came on here to see WTF is going on and sure enough the thing is high passed for the majority of the film!!

Just wanted to express my dissappointment as well (I'm late to the party) and also say thanks for the great data. Without it I would have been left wondering. Much appreciated.

Great work guys, I love this kind of scientific approach.

OK, forget about the 'per octave' discussions above, as they involve the averaging of dBHz levels, which cannot be done without converting back to PascalHz, and then it would lead to the same results anyway after averaging. The only calculation that is a straight dB+dB addition is for total level, in order to give the Peak level some input and not all the weight into the Level category.

Does anyone know of a good way to post stuff from Excel so it doesn't look like the gobbledygook above for all the films rated?

JSS

PS - Bosso, that looks great. If you need higher res bitmaps, lemme know. I am using JPEG compression as I am posting these things to the forum.

Up tonight is Sin City, then I am leaving town until Next Friday, this time for an actual vacation.

BTW, Max , if you are still having trouble sorting out your excel files, I could write some code to fix the issues your are getting? Let me know if it is still a problem?

Dave

Dave,

Thanks! I think I have the system down now. But I am interested, what kind of code? Like to be able to do what Data-Bass does for subwoofers and the instant comparisons?

BTW - DareDevil, I am Number Four, Brave, and Drive this week. Horton added to queue.

JSS

Thanks to everyone who appreciates this thread. I promise I am still working on the scene capture tutorial so that more waterfalls can be posted for each film, and the links will be fixed this weekend.

Dave,

Thanks! I think I have the system down now. But I am interested, what kind of code? Like to be able to do what Data-Bass does for subwoofers and the instant comparisons?

BTW - DareDevil, I am Number Four, Brave, and Drive this week. Horton added to queue.

JSS

Thanks to everyone who appreciates this thread. I promise I am still working on the scene capture tutorial so that more waterfalls can be posted for each film, and the links will be fixed this weekend.

If you are doing it via excel it may be possible.  I would probably have to take a look at what files you are using with Excel. But, it is possible that you could automate the procces using VBA.

hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, I must say what a great job with the charts, THX!

Has anyone had a look at the PS3-game Call of Duty, Black Ops II?

My son played it the other day and when he used an EMP-grenade the stuff on my table started rattling?!

That may be worth looking into, even though it's not a movie ;-)