maxmercy

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

2 hours ago, timcat4843 said:

That is terrific news.  I hope more film mixing stages and cinemas use the VLFC and other solutions for monitoring and playback of infrasound in films.

JSS

The blu-ray I hope has the infrasonic content.  I will buy this title if it does.

JSS

39 minutes ago, maxmercy said:

The blu-ray I hope has the infrasonic content.  I will buy this title if it does.

At least if it doesn't, you'll know it got dropped in the home mix.

In other news, the new Hellboy II 4k DTS:X mix has been butchered. I first heard about the H2 mix here, and I know it was considered among the greatest. But the new mixers considered it was appropriate to filter it and reduce the levels. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, AmerCa said:

In other news, the new Hellboy II 4k DTS:X mix has been butchered. I first heard about the H2 mix here, and I know it was considered among the greatest. But the new mixers considered it was appropriate to filter it and reduce the levels. 

That is awful.  

JSS

10 hours ago, timcat4843 said:

Why do the studios find it necessary to filter the bass on Blu-ray releases? Are they totally unaware of the capabilities of the Blu-ray format?

No.  They just aren't aware of the impact filtering has on the sound.  That's very unfortunate.

It has occurred to me though that filtering may very often happen by accident.  For example, an "audio enhancement" plugin like a subharmonic synthesizer may be used to try to add *more* bottom end content, but the synthesizer plug-in may itself employ a filter, something that may be at least configurable but is likely enabled by default.  If that's what happened to Hellboy2, that would be quite sad being that it had plenty of bottom already (according to measurements here; I haven't heard the track myself).

FWIW, I believe subharmonic synthesis is being applied to a lot of tracks these days and can sound really good if used judiciously and if a high-pass filter is not present or is reversed (to the extent this is possible).  Sometimes it can be over the top, either a bit or a whole lot.  Even without BEQ to flatten the 30 Hz hump, "Aquaman" was just nuts with ULF content everywhere, including lots of stuff where it probably didn't belong.  I wonder if the mixers would have done things differently if they had experienced all that ULF?