maxmercy

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Here is a RTA of thunder I took with my calibrated-to-4hz Dayton EMM-6 and a TASCAM US-1641 which starts dropping off at 20hz. The mic was inside a window behind the curtain with its windscreen on and SPL is uncalibrated but it clipped my mic just when it hit that peak at 4hz, and I had my mic at 3/4 of volume, so it was a pretty loud peak. The second image is with no smoothing was taken during the RTA. The first has 1/48th octave smoothing and is the total peak. I live far out in the country so there are no sources of infrasound from vehicles or factories except for a very low level 14hz tone from a glass plant about three miles away.

thunder RTA with smoothing.png

120db (mic clipping).png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ricci said:

Ughh...Dang. I might have to pick up HH just to give that a listen. Has anyone seen it? The reviews aren't good but if it has some big demo worthy moments I might give it a go anyway.

A 45% on Rotten Tomatoes isn't, like, "Conan: The Barbarian (remake)" bad.  And it looks like it's not terribly long either.

2 hours ago, minnjd said:

Sheesh, looks like the soundtrack is nothing but bass.  And lots of it.

Something like 103 minutes of constant wind noise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SME said:

A 45% on Rotten Tomatoes isn't, like, "Conan: The Barbarian (remake)" bad.  And it looks like it's not terribly long either.

Something like 103 minutes of constant wind noise?

Never bring that movie up again...👎 

I absolutely have a soft spot for the original Barbarian movie with Armhold Musclehugger and James Earl (Baseball Vader) Jones. The soundtrack is the shit. The new one was such a fail on so many levels.  

103min of wind noise might be right...

5 hours ago, StainlessSteve said:

Here is a RTA of thunder I took with my calibrated-to-4hz Dayton EMM-6 and a TASCAM US-1641 which starts dropping off at 20hz. The mic was inside a window behind the curtain with its windscreen on and SPL is uncalibrated but it clipped my mic just when it hit that peak at 4hz, and I had my mic at 3/4 of volume, so it was a pretty loud peak. The second image is with no smoothing was taken during the RTA. The first has 1/48th octave smoothing and is the total peak. I live far out in the country so there are no sources of infrasound from vehicles or factories except for a very low level 14hz tone from a glass plant about three miles away.

Suhweet! Did you happen to record this thunder?

Ever listen to the Danley fireworks recording?

Yes, I have heard all the Danley recordings. I do have a few recordings of different thunder with Adobe Audition I took, but I can't figure out how to record with my calibration file loaded. My only idea is to convert it to a Spectrum sound card calibration and record with Spectrum Lab. My sound card and falls off starting at 20hz, and my mic falls off at 4hz, which means the loudest note was below 4hz and there is even more sub-20hz content than I could capture.

I've attached my mic calibration and the Spectrum Lab sound card cal format:

elf_compensator.frs

narrow_band_response_0_degree.frd

Edited by StainlessSteve
Changed .frd from one third octave to Narrow band

Do you have a narrow band cal file for your mic?  If you can send me that and the audio, I can create a compensated version of the recording.

I got a conversion done.  It's not really pro quality as I didn't do any dithering, but it should compensate for the mic cal down to 4 Hz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EylLR1mXkmaCI0mIjwQgPi7MkWVy0D1s/view?usp=sharing

Anyway, the recording could benefit from some editing.  It was hard to tell in a wave viewer where the good stuff is.  It also has a couple of nasty pops, which I believe may be caused by EMI from the lightning flashes.  I'm pretty novice with Audacity and didn't have any luck getting rid of them using its click removal plugin.

Anyway, there's definitely thunder with very solid bottom in the recording.  Oddly, the most impressive bass event doesn't seem to be caused by thunder.  There's a lot of weird bass noise starting roughly around 56:30, and then a big ker-chunk right at 57:48.  It's nearly -3 dBFS peak in the compensated version and almost entirely bottom end.  Did you bump the mic or something?

• Like 1

Yeah, I have no idea what the popping is at the beginning, it seems to me to just be a user-end CPU/RAM problem because I mostly hear it in Adobe Audition and only sometimes in some parts. I think I did touch it later when you said to make sure it wasn't wet but I went through and edited all that out to make a version of just thunder, so I figured it would be better if you had the full version.

Awesome work on the thunder!

All the recordings I have are old and seem to roll off massively at the bottom end, so when I finally sort a computer out for home, I'll have a listen :)

I finally got around to watching my Blu-Ray of Blade Runner 2049.

Like in the theater, lots of bass.  Most of it hovered above 30Hz but it was definitely weighty and sounded pretty good.

But I did run across an acronym that is really appropriate for this movie (plus Interstellar and TDKR):

ZIHL, or 'Zimmer Induced Hearing Loss'. 

Good lord was the music fucking loud.  And not for short amounts of time either.  One sustained synth tone had to be red lining in multiple channels and it went on, continuously, for over ten seconds.  There was no modulation, no variation, just "BWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH"

Something's wrong with your mixing when I have to lower my volume for that but can keep it constant through gunshots, spinner crashes and explosions.

The first time I  saw BL2049 was at low volume late at night with the crowsons providing all the deep bass, and still that score was reach-for-the-volume-control-lest-you-wake-people loud.

Something tells me if Philip K Dick was alive he would probably approve.

JSS

I recall "Ex Machina" had a loud droning score toward the end and the DTS:X mix sent the score almost entirely to my surrounds.  I turned things down a bit because I was worried about long term power effects.