maxmercy

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Michael    0

The time machine in Project Almanac, anyone?  I'm new to the surround sound world beyond a simple soundbar & bluetooth sub w/satellite speakers.  (had two go kaputt on me in a year's time)  I've an Onkyo receiver with Polk speakers so am nowhere near the advanced arena you folks are!  But I am doing 5.2.  I had one sub at first as was ordering from Amazon.  Got the receiver at Best Buy ($199).  My $89 sub was plugged directly into the tv before I had anything else.  The neighbor across the street said it was rattling his walls.  I had it at max to music.  I immensely appreciate this list!!  I watch a lot of movies.  Luckily I have an XBox1 that allows me to plug my laptop into it & remain streaming movies, as well as tv shows, for free that will still get surround.  I mention such due to realizing why Project Almanac could be a hidden gem?  From my limited experience, the rumbling low frequency was impressive.

minnjd    43

Just saw Blade Runner 2049.  I don't know who did the sound design but it sounds like they took some cues from the Transformers movies.  There are a lot of loud, groaning bass sounds when ships fly around and the music score is almost entirely comprised of massive low end metallic drones.  Explosions and guns had some really good punch to them as well.  so it's got a lot of bass.  The theater I saw it in is probably good down to the low 30's so no clue if there's subsonic stuff going on or not, but given the intensity of the higher level bass I'm gonna venture a guess that it's filtered.

The movie itself was pretty good, but not perfect.  Visually it was spectacular.  It shares some common threads with the original but it is definitely it's own movie.  It's far darker and more oppressive visually.  It sounds different, and while there are hints of Vangelis in the score, most of it is comprised of thunderous foghorn blasts that seem determined to wake the dead.  It also feels very different.  Blade Runner was a small story set in a big world.  2049 visits a lot more of this world and feels more apocalyptic in it's scope.

minnjd    43
40 minutes ago, MikeDuke said:

Agree on all points regarding audio, video and the movie itself minnjd for Blade Runner 2049.  

Just wanted to add that I did like the movie and my points were mainly nitpicking.  The only real issue I had was that the big apocalyptic event the movie was building towards got abandoned in the last twenty minutes for a much smaller ending that was fine on it's own but felt out of place.

MikeDuke    5

I went with some one who unfortunately, did not see the first one, but I gave a verbal review of what it was about.  This person also likes 2049, after reflection though.  But one thing was the length.  They thought it was too long.  It was long.  2 hours and 43 min is a long movie.  But I keep on saying to myself, what could they have cut.  I won't spoil anything for anybody who hasn't seen it but I do understand.  That is a long running time for a movie like that.  I mean, even the final cut 4k of Blade Runner is just under 2 hours.  I have the BR version of that.  

But I do hope the audio isn't all messed up.  I am holding out hope.  

Infrasonic    153
On 10/10/2017 at 7:02 AM, minnjd said:

Just saw Blade Runner 2049.  I don't know who did the sound design but it sounds like they took some cues from the Transformers movies.  There are a lot of loud, groaning bass sounds when ships fly around and the music score is almost entirely comprised of massive low end metallic drones.  Explosions and guns had some really good punch to them as well.  so it's got a lot of bass.  The theater I saw it in is probably good down to the low 30's so no clue if there's subsonic stuff going on or not, but given the intensity of the higher level bass I'm gonna venture a guess that it's filtered.

The movie itself was pretty good, but not perfect.  Visually it was spectacular.  It shares some common threads with the original but it is definitely it's own movie.  It's far darker and more oppressive visually.  It sounds different, and while there are hints of Vangelis in the score, most of it is comprised of thunderous foghorn blasts that seem determined to wake the dead.  It also feels very different.  Blade Runner was a small story set in a big world.  2049 visits a lot more of this world and feels more apocalyptic in it's scope.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, MikeDuke said:

Agree on all points regarding audio, video and the movie itself minnjd for Blade Runner 2049.  

Ya'll crazy. This was wonderful A/V all around (saw in Dolby Cinema) and I can not wait to get it on UHD/BD to watch at home.

This will probably rate well in bass too. It's time will come.

• Like 1

MikeDuke    5
2 hours ago, Infrasonic said:

Ya'll crazy. This was wonderful A/V all around (saw in Dolby Cinema) and I can not wait to get it on UHD/BD to watch at home.

This will probably rate well in bass too. It's time will come.

I hope so.  I just don't want it clipped all to hell because I did enjoy it.  I hope you're right about the bass.  I do remember though that it wasn't ear blasting loud.  Maybe I jumped the gun about the level.  We shall see.  I hope we get a good home release because it does deserve it.

minnjd    43

I didn't ever say that I thought the movie had bad audio or visuals.  Technically the movie is very well done and nearly flawless.

I just didn't always agree artistically with the choices Villaneuve made regarding the visual and audio design.  That's purely subjective to my tastes.

Of course it goes without saying that my taste in movies is perfect.  By that measure everyone else should finally come to terms with the fact that Titanic is a great movie  :P

• Like 1

Is no one going to talk about the audio in Transformers "The Last Knight" whenever Megatron is on camera? The audio has been lightly brushed on here at Data-Bass but I don't recall anyone going into detail. I SpecLab'd a few scenes last night and when Megatron lands in the salt flats the hottest spot is centered at 20 Hz. Sure it's no 7 Hz WOTW, but the sound in the movie makes it worth watching and also using for demo's. I haven't seen much talk about it so I'll go out on a limb and say that I love the proper audio in this movie. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Infrasonic    153

Had not got T5 yet on video but will eventually. People love to poop on Michael Bay and T5 has serious issues but in a hobby for A/V..... T5 brings it. Interested in the Atmos track and if it is (better be) a remarkable improvement from T4's barely-Atmos track.

And yes... let's bring back the days when 20hz was cool cuz it still is, imho.

• Like 1