The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Just watched star wars. I've got high hopes for the mix. Hopefully it's done right. There are a ton of scenes which could be stellar both for surround work and bass. Surround info sounded pretty good in the theater I went to but the bass in there is a joke. I thought it was a solid movie as well.

• Like 1

OK, bass in Imax was good, hope it digs deep BUT Buffalo needs to recalibrate or check their speakers as it was clipping like crazy, it was very annoying.  It started when Everest came out and it clipped the rear channels but Star Wars was clipping everywhere.  The local Cinema where I live did not clip so it is not the film.  I need to see it in Rochester which has the best Imax I have been to so far. 

The more cinemas I go to, the more I realize that people who know how to set up signal chains and calibrate properly are very few and far between (either that, or cinemas whose management can't keep their hands off the knobs).  Very sad, but very true.  So many places where things can go wrong.  I am sometimes amazed that every now and then a decent presentation can be had.

JSS

• Like 1

Cool app. What LG amp are you running? Are there any other amps (read less expensive :)) that show output history? Then again, I guess I could use the history of the oscope I just received for Xmas. Can't wait to start playing with that. Have been wanting an oscope since I was a kid.

Saw Star Wars in Gold Class which is the premium seat theatre here. I walked out with a headache and bass was average (in the theatre). Never experienced headaches at home and played much louder. This is the only movie I've watched since hocking off my gear. Depressing.

I have graphed Akira, both English and Japanese mixes.  They are completely different, I'll pull it up when I have a chance.

PI, I will leave it as is, just for the sake of continuity.

JSS

Do you have those graphs? It would be very interesting to see those. The Jp track seems to be completely infrasonic and perhaps a little low in level in terms of bass, probably to match the ultra high frequency content above 20khz, though the sound mixer never mentioned the bass when he described the 'Hypersonic Effect' on the disc! He missed a real treat there as Infrasonic bass causes greater physiological changes/reactions in humans as opposed to ultrasonic high frequencies since infrasonics are produced during earthquakes and in the roars of lions and tigers which really get the heart racing!  

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site and I wanted to give something back with my first post after having read and learned so much past couple of months.

I found 3 downloadable Bass Demo disks, available from AVForums. It has pretty much every note worthy bass scene mentioned on this site, so I thought it was a pretty neat solution to show off your kit.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1412846-ultimate-bass-demo-disc.html#/forumsite/3207/topics/1412846?page=1

It can be easily torrented, there's good seeding going on to this day. Once done just put it on repeat and have fun

(Hope I'm the first to bring this up)

Snoopy

Minions

220px-Minions_poster.jpg

(Atmos to Dolby True HD)

0:02:03

ac958830d8ca2a816f03104ef7e71440.png

0:04:30

aab5e8643e80603a18cc55c6839f100b.png

0:21:22

2b692721890a68548dbc04e99c6727ae.png

0:30:13

-most bass levels are weak like this

ad5aa2def3f067545354b45cb947b211.png

1:08:56

9938b304edd80cea20b17426f6cdc72b.png

1:09:52

128e98c3021687081b7e4f460ec87733.png

1:11:32

79f1cb23b18655ac6f286438ec381a53.png

Screwy mix on this one.  A few strong transients but most of the mix is very weak in level.

See waveform analysis here: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/425-analyzing-waveforms-of-heavy-hitting-movies/?p=11778

Sicario [2015] Blu-ray was really incredible. i love the audio design and it really delivered and held up with the incredible quality of the film. this movie was a one trailer, seeing hardcore no bullshit actors i respect and like, reading no synopsis, seeing the rotten tomatoes 93% rating and then forgetting about it for months then finally watching it and getting blown the F away :o .

I'll look at it and F4 this week.

JSS

• Like 1