The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Enjoyed this site immensely and thanks to everyone who's given advice along the way. Sold all my gear today so will no longer be able to vote! Pursuing another passion. Really great site here and I've spent many hours following other threads because they hold much interest even though much of it went over my head. Bosso if I can get one of your systems to Australia I might be knocking on your door when I decide to get back into it.

Having been on many chat rooms and forums over the past 17 or so years, it's always sad to see great contributors to the hobby move on. I understand the desire to follow your passions and laud it, Take care and drop in once in a while, my friend.

We'll make sure there's a system in the corner stamped "Aj72" waiting for ya. B)

• Like 1

We'll miss ya Aj, hope you'll still pop in once in a while to see what's up.  I have to ask, what's the new passion you'll be getting into?

Motorcyles! I'll still be lurking from time to time so I keep fresh on the latest and greatest right here. Lukeamdman's "basic amplifier thread" is piquing my interest at the moment.

Having been on many chat rooms and forums over the past 17 or so years, it's always sad to see great contributors to the hobby move on. I understand the desire to follow your passions and laud it, Take care and drop in once in a while, my friend.

We'll make sure there's a system in the corner stamped "Aj72" waiting for ya. B)

I'll definitely be back bigger and better! Next time it will be Infrasonic!

Has any one done Furious 7?  I am sure it's filtered, but I watched it last night and it was that bad.  I mean, there was nothing to really shake my Crowson but there seemed to be a few sweeps in there.  The explosions really did not rock my room but I did find the bass good enough to enjoy the crazy stunts in this film.  

Curious to see San Andreas measured. Watched last night and I might be wrong, but it reminded me of STID and not in a good way. The whole track just seemed LOUD and the bass extension was weak. The bass that was there was LOUD and hit in the right spots I thought, but it was a fatiguing audio track similar to STID to my ears. Cant speak to the Atmos effects as I just watched the core 7.1 TrueHD track.

Note to mods: please move these lab shots to the appropriate threads when you get them going.

SAN ANDREAS

(Atmos soundtrack)

(taken from sub out with 7 channels re-directed)

Scale:

c92bd4b0c28dc5050cfc6fc96740e918.png

33:50

5fb3d7b7ca8bef99c3400af0d51d0567.png

36:05

d07546ea7c73d51c8f654b123cac349f.png

37:23

e0108630d1bd5af7b201e846329295f5.png

38:25

8f5a9b07af68355c35d1e4d2f4dd8112.png

40:45

7b75dc158139692f070eac3e504afac4.png

41:54

a1ac48e3e57d2c0343da883da4a2bd03.png

55:25

7dc52d22810835adc81707c006b1f1cc.png

1:25:00

b430a0441154a5221baaf9f26b178540.png

Excuse me, Hollywood: Earthquakes aren't filtered at 20Hz.

• Like 2

I thought this one was as close as the first one as you will get. All the Dino scenes were better and the bass was awesome! Great soundtrack all around. I really enjoyed this movie as a fan of JP. Chris Pratt is Dr Grant and Malcom Roled into one. I actually recalibrated my system for this to run my front stage bridged and forgot to bump up the LFE to my liking! I actually ran it 2 dB below reference! I can't wait for the bump! Watching again tomorrow.

Little disappointed in San Andreas, but there is some content that my Crowson will pick up.  At least it's better then cutting it at 30hz 0r 40hz.  Jurassic World looks like a winner for sure.  Any thoughts to San Andreas being different if I just watch the TRUHD track(which I can only do).  So can I assume little to no clipping on either of these.  Those charts that have the line on the right seem to indicate that the level isn't crazy, but just enough for both movies.  

I was texting "Shredhead" while watching this movie. Too many scenes to screen cap all of them. Tons of LFE throughout the movie. Thankfully this movie lived up to my expectations regarding LFE after seeing it in the theaters. Overall sound a low end was much better in my room than the theater but the LFE did not disappoint for once. 

I'm going to send the wife and kid out for a shopping spree and watch this film at full tilt once I get the dedicated 20 amp run into the room for the LG clone to power the DO HST-11's. No point in doing the latter until the dedicated run is finished. 

Wow. I'm genuinely surprised about Jurassic World. I ... still haven't got my copy yet. Was supposed to be here two days ago. :rolleyes:

Not surprised by San Andreas. I said it was nuts and it was.... loud! Still shook the place pretty good for 20hz extension. The Atmos mix was pretty good. Does anybody on this site have Atmos yet or is it just me? B)

Oh wait.... a lot of youz still running 5.1 audio. espLlDI.gif

I don't have ATMOS yet, I'm kind of waiting for the 'format war' to take place between Dolby and DTS and see what shakes out.  It seems that Dolby is first on the scene with something, then DTS comes out a bit later but it is then adopted more fully.  I am glad 7.1 has finally taken hold, >400 films have been mixed in 7.1...

I also would like to have the lossless audio be converted in a player and sent as multichannel PCM so that BEQ with a nanoAVR type device could be done. 

JSS

Shred,

Does Jurassic World clip?

JSS

Not sure but I would guess not (still haven't watched it).  The level of the sub out that I took seems weak compared to most other movies like SA.  I don't know if that means the overall level of the movie is below average or just the sub band.  The waveform looks pretty dynamic so I would guess if it does play with square waves it would be toward the end in short bursts.