The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

On 1/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, Infrasonic said:

Nah. They leave that sort of thing to the guys at home who own MiniDSP's and can't leave well enough alone.

:P

I can confirm that Pacific Rim 7.1 BD benefits from cinema EQ adjustments.  I presume the Atmos track, despite obviously being a remix, benefits from re-EQ as well, but I won't know until I hear it on a known reference system.  AFAICT, Warner Brothers and/or whatever sound studios they use are not aware of the benefits of re-EQ for home mixes.

Actually, I'm starting to think that as of now, only Skywalker Sound Studios are actually doing re-EQ, which they may have started doing some time between 2008 and 2010 or so.  I'm not certain if this was being done consistently until more recently.  It may depend on whether the production studio wishes to pay for a "home remix" or not, which I understand is a lot more common now than it used to be.

3 hours ago, maxmercy said:

Wow, that looks like a track AFTER BEQ.   Hope it doesn't clip everywhere....should have an incredible Dynamics score.

Thanks MrEdge!

JSS

Haven't seen this one yet. Wanted to catch it in theaters but missed it. It does look good, on paper at least. Could be a quiet one with only a handful of "good bass" scenes.

12 hours ago, SME said:

Didn't you get the memo?  Only drama films are allowed to have full-bandwidth bass soundtracks now.  :P

Haha! Yeah, really.

4 hours ago, maxmercy said:

Wow, that looks like a track AFTER BEQ.   Hope it doesn't clip everywhere....should have an incredible Dynamics score.

Thanks MrEdge!

JSS

Thankfully clipping seems to be a lot less common these days.  Being from Sony, it's also probably a "home" mix, for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, Infrasonic said:

Haven't seen this one yet. Wanted to catch it in theaters but missed it. It does look good, on paper at least. Could be a quiet one with only a handful of "good bass" scenes.

I wonder.  It seems pretty obvious that the bass will be mostly for fire effects, and I''d bet that large fires have quite a lot of ULF in real life.

3 minutes ago, MrEdge said:

i have an issue with Speclab. is there a way to capture an image of the waterfall that has scrolled out of view? i don't have enough vertical resolution.

you can scroll back (assuming it's still in the buffer) using the controls on the left or are you asking whether you can capture an image larger than your screen?

15 minutes ago, MrEdge said:

Yes larger than my screen. like is there a way to capture what's in the buffer for long waterfall graphs or can you only capture what is in view?

I don't think I've ever seen a way to do that, you could export the data though and use some external app to produce your own chart for an arbitrary time period

1 hour ago, MrEdge said:

Some effects were pumped up also.  the difference can be heard especially when the robot get out of the water there is this drone from the engine that is almost impossible to hear in the dta ma track 7.1 but it's loud and heavy in the atmos track and adds allot to the sceen. this is a small one but i am going through the movie and will do longer waterfall of the first battle to really compare full heavy scenes.

Interesting! I do know what you're talking about. Always wondered why I could never hear/feel this effect on my main rig but could in other rooms on hdtv feeds of PR.

The UHD version is on my Amazon UHD wishlist for dat Atmos. Will get it eventually. Looks like a good upgrade. Would love to sync the 3D version to the new Atmos audio. But that goes without saying.

1 hour ago, MrEdge said:

i have an issue with Speclab. is there a way to capture an image of the waterfall that has scrolled out of view? i don't have enough vertical resolution.

When I used to do Speclab's for dvd's I had to either have a more zoomed out view (harder to see details) or keep it zoomed in and take multiple shots.

It was quite tedious but it worked.