Ricci's Gjallarhorn & Othorn Files

xeph

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ricci pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DrDrowzy said:

Hey Ricci, do you do any builds of these for other people, or offer flat packs of any sort? I'm not too far away in Nashville, could easily come to you.

Hhahahahaha! Sorry I'm not laughing at you at all. It's just that I can't even get time to build my own cabs anymore. I pay someone else to do it.

That said there are people out there who can do this type of work and will for the right amount of money.

Anyway welcome to the forum. :)

14 hours ago, Ricci said:

Hhahahahaha! Sorry I'm not laughing at you at all. It's just that I can't even get time to build my own cabs anymore. I pay someone else to do it.

That said there are people out there who can do this type of work and will for the right amount of money.

Thanks man! Appreciate the quick response!

• 3 months later...
On 20-9-2017 at 1:32 AM, Ricci said:

Just out of interest (who knows what the future brings), how many man hours did you have to pay for the horns you had build? With these plans on a first build.

16 hours ago, Droogne said:

Just out of interest (who knows what the future brings), how many man hours did you have to pay for the horns you had build? With these plans on a first build.

It was never billed out in man hours to me for any of the cabs I've had built. We just negotiated a labor price on top of the raw materials costs up front. I never searched for someone to build any of my cabs either. It just kind of happened that I know some fellow DIYers who were willing to work on them for reasonable prices.

I had the Othorns, Gjallarhorns built by one guy. The MAUL's by someone else and the Skhorn's most lately by member DSL1. I covered materials+ shipping+enough extra to cover some labor each time, but I probably got quite the hookup on some of the labor charges. In fact I know that I did.  Just the wood, duratex, glue, wire, screws, handles and shipping on a pair of any of these is substantial. The labor hours are also substantial. You can save a LOT of money by doing it yourself but be prepared to put the hours in. If you would rather have a pro or someone with a full on cabinet shop and all the tools build them, it will cost. 

If you need to discuss in more detail we should take it to PM.  

17 hours ago, Droogne said:

And then whatever number you come up with for dollars or hours, double or triple it. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

These designs seem to be different than what was tested on the measurement / analysis - bench-marking page. Can anyone help me locate performance specs of Ricci's designs?

Both appear to be fantastic, but I want to building these (with 21" b&c's) as low end support for bass shows at a venue with all ready existing 15" drivers... which makes it seem like the g-horn might fit the need of the space better given the existing system. 

Thanks guys, 

Andy

EDIT: it appears the data is for the version 1 ?

Yes data is for version 1. I never built and tested v2. It should offer some minor improvements but they are incremental not game changing. Acoustic performance differences should be relatively minor. I'd suggest the Othorn or Skhorn for live sound or reinforcement. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm feeling abit confused right now about the Othorn plan, cos I was told I probably have an older version of the plan. Is there a V2 plan?

A few days ago I ordered two 21SW152-4 so I would like the latest version of the Othorn plan.

If anyone is interested to see some building pics I gladly share. The two finished Othorns will be powered each by a bridged Crown I-Tech 6000

Best regards /Mattias

Thanks Ricci, in the end of this week me and a friend, who owns a cnc, will have a look at the plan. We will decide where to put handles and casters.

I was reading that the bottom part of the Othorn, where the hatch panel is, is one of the Othorns weak spot. I was thinking to "solve" this to put a dolly at the bottom of the box. But would this effekt the sound in a bad way letting Othorn stand on the blue wheels while playing?

Can't wait to fire those up ?

/Mattias

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Heya guys I’m having trouble getting these plans to open properly. Autocad showing them with no sheets or layers. Other cad software returning errors and saying the file is empty etc. 

SK horn .dxf file opened fine when I tried it as comparison. 

Anyone else had similar issues? 

9 hours ago, Mjhfowler said:

Heya guys I’m having trouble getting these plans to open properly. Autocad showing them with no sheets or layers. Other cad software returning errors and saying the file is empty etc. 

SK horn .dxf file opened fine when I tried it as comparison. 

Anyone else had similar issues? 

I don't know what the problem is. I just opened every file linked above without issue.

Perhaps try to contact someone who has already downloaded and built from the plans. Maybe their file will work for you.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, Father Francis said:

So am getting ready to build some OThorns , to go under some Danley SH96 , how many them ,would keep up per side ? this is for  the guys who have built these or do you all just use them at home ? 

I see I missed this question. How many TH-18's does DSL recommend? That'd be a good place to start. I'd think 2 per side would be a good start. 4 per side would be a whole lot more fun though.

3 minutes ago, Ricci said:

I don't know what the problem is. I just opened every file linked above without issue.

Perhaps try to contact someone who has already downloaded and built from the plans. Maybe their file will work for you.

True thanks for getting back to me mate. What program are you using to open the dxf? 

This is the copy I have does this work for you? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PPxezBeijeT5587K50ummdr6r_vIfstz/view?usp=drivesdk