25 replies to this topic

#21 Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

To get that little inductance on a coil that size that can take a serious amount of power with that much travel and keep a BL good all while being underhung requires a really crazy motor, basically this is just as "crazy" as the Uber 24" just scaled down, and the price would be similarly proportional. 10 of these with the same power and same enclosure volume would outperform the Uber 24" for a sealed system. They would work great ported too, and should run up clean really high. This is all still theoretical though remember.

So are we still talking about a 24" driver or multiple smaller drivers at this point?

#22 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

So you could be excited about a 12" with specs like so;

Underhung
Neo of course
Carbon fiber cone/cap
4.5” Edgewound single layer coil on kapton former
Full alu shorting ring
20mm Xmax
30mm Xmech
Fs    31.00    Hz
Re    3.80    Ohm
Qms    4.30   
Qes    0.30   
Sd    500.0    cm2
Vas    70.0    l
Le    0.30    mH
SPL at 1 W 1 m    90.3    dB
SPL at 2.83 Vrms 1m    93.6    dB
Qts    0.280   
Effective Qts    0.280   
Bl    18.06    Tm

Completely off topic but I looked for 10 and 12" subwoofers in the $200-500 range to use for a project for a long time and the ones I needed just aren't made. Much like Kyle said.

#23 Harbottle

Harbottle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

In response to Kyle and Ricci:  I actually asked Nathan to R&D this 12 inch driver for my company a while back.

I had this dream (about 5 years ago when Nathan was explaining the advantages of underhung to overhung) of a crazy bass driver with these parameters for a full range system.

The purpose was to have a driver that really filled out the bottom end well in smaller rooms, and if used in a large room it could be complimented with an insane 18 or 21.

A customer expressed an interest in this concept when I offered it to him and voila, here we are, I guess Nate got the drop on me. Haha ;) .  I think the 2-500 range might be a bit tough to hit. We will have to see when we tool up and build one.

#24 chrapladm

chrapladm

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Seeing as prices keep increasing I think being around the competition for price would be a good goal. If an 18 " from "X," company cost 400 I wouldnt mind paying a premium of say 150 for one of Nathan's drivers. BUT thats just me and it depends on which driver. I cant say I could afford his Uber 24 by any means. :( 

But I only wanted an uber 18" like the 5100 from TC. Anyways I will go back in my cheap seats and continue to just watch ....

"Music is not in the notes, but in the silence between."

#25 Funk Audio

Funk Audio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Seeing as prices keep increasing I think being around the competition for price would be a good goal. If an 18 " from "X," company cost 400 I wouldnt mind paying a premium of say 150 for one of Nathan's drivers. BUT thats just me and it depends on which driver. I cant say I could afford his Uber 24 by any means. :(

But I only wanted an uber 18" like the 5100 from TC. Anyways I will go back in my cheap seats and continue to just watch ....

If there was demand for it we do have a design for a motor between the GUJvX and UHv1. It would give a BL2/Re right around 200, with all else the same as the GUJ18vX. Price would be almost exactly halfway between the UH21v1 and GUJ18vX.

The other option could be a slightly souped up TSADv1, we could get the BL2/Re on it up to around 200 for not much higher cost, would end up nearly the same cost as the GUJ18vX.

#26 chrapladm

chrapladm

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

If there was demand for it we do have a design for a motor between the GUJvX and UHv1. It would give a BL2/Re right around 200, with all else the same as the GUJ18vX. Price would be almost exactly halfway between the UH21v1 and GUJ18vX.

The other option could be a slightly souped up TSADv1, we could get the BL2/Re on it up to around 200 for not much higher cost, would end up nearly the same cost as the GUJ18vX.

I would be curious what your other driver options are anyways. I think you make some great drivers and if I can in the future will probably look at getting a custom souped up TSAD 18" from you. Will have to look at a guestimate T/S to see what it simms like to see if that will work. BUT we will see.

My wants are not usually the needs of the masses. I would love to have an uber 15" that does great in a TH/FLH's. Also would love to build a pair of monster horns using quad 12's with a custom driver. BUT for now I will just see what your company comes out with. BUT its also hard to beat value of 18's verse multiple drivers. SO that being said an uber 18 comes back into play. As I said an 18 with T/S like the TC 5100 would be my wants. Dont expect that driver to be cheap though. Probably the same price as the 5100 was.

"Music is not in the notes, but in the silence between."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users