Need help with "bass" project

dgage

Since this is Data-Bass and the forum section is "Bass Projects", let's say that my bass range is closer to 24,000 Hz. Does anyone have some ideas on a compact outdoor solution to listen for a loud sound from canis lupus familiaris and once hearing said sound, emit a strong bass signal of 24,000 Hz. In other words, I'm tired of my neighbor's dog and the barking deterrents on the market and want to "Data-Bass" a solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

No.  I was trying to be cute.  The damn dog next door barks at us all the time.  I tried the off the shelf dog barking deterrents and they don't work very well.  They get the dog's attention at first but soon after they ignore it.  So I want something a little more powerful, which I know the smart people on Data-Bass do OH SO WELL.  

So you basically want to deafen next door's dog into submission?  lol

You may well annoy any children as well, seeing as they have more sensitive hearing at the top end, which apparently disappears by the time we hit our teenage years!

Well, the neighbors try but they don't know how or aren't willing to do it right. And now that spring is here, the high school/college kids leave the dog outside a lot. I heard the dog whimpering today, presumably to get in. But once he hears us, he thinks we're going to play with him even though he's skittish and I've never been able to pet him/her. Don't have an issue with the dog, more so the owners but even after talking to them, I know nothing is going to happen when the dog is barking, even after midnight and they say, "<Dog's name>, come get a snack. You want a snack?" Needless to say, my dog is done with business and back in before their dog goes in and of course, barking the whole time. Did I mention even well past midnight or 1am?

I just want to do like those invisible fences are supposed to do. Correct bad behavior and explain that "these humans next door are not the play things you're looking for."

Was hoping someone here had dealt with similar and had some more specific advice. Guess I'll go find a kit or design somewhere since the off-the-shelf options don't work. Thanks for the high-pitched "bass" distraction. :)

• 5 months later...

Haha.  Thanks.  I'm going with something similar.

I ordered a Raspberry Pi and will use that with a small USB audio interface to output to an amp.  I made some high-frequency files and have a remote control I will use for control.  I ordered some inexpensive piezo horns from Parts-Express (https://b2b.parts-express.com/grs-pz1165-4-3-8-piezo-horn-tweeter-similar-to-ksn1165a--292-446).  Now I just need time to deploy it.

I also did get a chance to talk to the mom (didn't care which parent) and had a frank but cordial conversation.  After she had recently said to my wife that the dogs are good dogs, I had to point out that I don't blame the dogs one bit, they're doing exactly what their owners allow them to do.  Since that conversation, things are much better though I still need to get the contraption out there to help persuade them to stop barking though at least they aren't left outside as much.  And again, this is meant to address specific behavior, I don't want to harm the dogs in any way as I'm a huge dog lover.  My dog is 17 years old and when he passes, I'll probably be crying more than my kids will be.

Archived